Author Topic: help me decide on a new scope  (Read 730 times)

Offline howie1968

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
help me decide on a new scope
« on: April 17, 2005, 02:33:57 PM »
i am going to upgrade my scope although the one i have works fine i want a little cleareer optics  i have a winchester  model 70 7mm mag it has a simmons 8 point which so far is holding zero  no problems with the scope  i have looked at 3 scopes  a burris fullfield 11 with some sort of dot plex reticle  i like how clear it is a bushnell 3200 elite  with some sort of rire site and a leoplod rifleman in 4-12X40 they are all pretty close with the bushnell and burris 219.00 the other scope is 249,00 will all these handle the 7 mag recoil   the simmons 8 point has  i also looked at a nikon buckmaster and the monarch  thanks in advance
Hi  enjoy  hunting  guns    teaching  my  2  daughters  about  hunting  and  boxing

Offline .300weatherby

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 04:23:32 PM »
all of the scopes you listed will handle the recoil of a 7 Mag. The Burris Fullfield II most likely was what they call thier ballistic plex reticle. The marks that make up the bottom portion of the reticle provide aiming points at different yardages depending on rifle and bullet weight. The bushnell was the fire fly reticle which will glow for awhile after you shine a flash light into the scope. The reticle on these are a little heavier but work well for big game hunting. The 3200 scopes are a great buy for the optic quality they provide. The Leupold you looked at I wouldn't suggest as it does not provide a very large field of view and any scope in that power range should have an adjustable objective. Leupold makes some great scopes and have several models in the same price range as the other scopes you asked about. One thing I like about the Leupold for a magnum rifle is they have a long eye relief. Leupold also has one of the best warranties in the business. The Nikon Buckmaster is also a great buy for the money. They have really good optical quality. The Monarch is also a great scope and is better optically than the Buckmaster.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 04:48:46 PM »
Of course I am going to say go with the Leupold.   :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline moontroll

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 08:22:21 PM »
The bushnell elite 3200 will be hard to beat for all around performance.I own a 4-12x40 3200 and I like its mechanics(positive click adjustment) better than leupolds vx 11 line.The bushnell 3200 is supieror to the rifleman,it's equal to the vx11 line,with better mechanics.the elites are a real bargin,you cant go wrong with.I have a Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44($600),Leupold VX11 3-9x40($280),Nikon Monarch 4-12x40($350)and a Bushnell elite 3200 4-12x40($289).Each one has its advantages over the other ones but the elite is the most complete/overall winner,you cant go wrong for the money.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 02:14:47 AM »
moontroll,

I don't know where you got the prices for those scopes, but howie you may want to check our prices out.  They are much cheaper than what has been stated.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline vernonp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 02:57:51 AM »
I too would say go with the 3200. It is the best I have looked through of the scopes you mentioned. If the 4200 is clearly better than the 3200 which it has to be it must be one great scope. I have a friend that has both the 3200 and 4200 and he says it is hard to tell much difference in them.-----------Do buy them from The Optic Zone, I do not bother looking anywhere else, the best price going.----------vernonp

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 04:48:19 AM »
I think I'd pick the 3200 over the rifleman........now if go to a Leupold VX-I then it might be different.......One thing for certain.....The Optic Zone is where I bought my last scope........Jon has very good prices and is one of the sponsors on this site.........he get's my business!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 11:55:38 AM »
I just ordered a "new" Buckmaster 3X9X40 from Jon today, I've heard they are better now than the older Buckmasters, which I have and it's a very good scope. Also have a Mueller 2X7 on the way from Jon. ( I hope) ha!

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 02:06:48 PM »
I would also recommend the Nikon BuckMaster.  I've compared it side by side with the Rifleman and feel the optics are much better.  If you want illumination then I would recommend the Mueller sport dot series which are very good for the price.

Offline fatboy

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 07:33:53 AM »
Take the advice from someone who just spent twice the money on a Nikon Monarch, BUY THE BUSHNELL ELITE 3200 AND YOU WON'T BE BROKE OR DISAPPOINTED.