Author Topic: Ranch Carry Handgun  (Read 2406 times)

Offline catblaster.375

• Trade Count: (0)
Ranch Carry Handgun
« on: April 18, 2005, 05:55:18 PM »
I will be doing some work on a ranch this summer and am thinkin about getting a good pack around handgun since my 8 3/8" 629 .44 is a little big( also seems like a good excuse to get another gun). It will be used on varmints and any other chores that may be encountered on a ranch. And there are also coyotes and couger on the property.
Here are my criteria:
1. Must be all steel- and preferably stainless
2. Must be made in the USA( maybe Europe)
3. Must be pretty accurate
4. Must be over .40 probably a .45( no .357s)
5. Ammo must be fairly inexpensive and very available
6. Must be under $500
7. Must be packable
8. Must be reliable
I realy would like a 1911 but can't afford a Colt, the Khar Auto Ordnance WWII model looks like the best choice for me now, but it is not stainless. Also the Ruger Redhawk 5.5" .45 Colt stainless looks cool. The Springfield stainless GI model looks perfect but is made in Brazil.

Thanks a whole lot guys

Offline KN

Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 06:06:58 PM »
Super Black Hawk, Stainless, 4-5/8" barrel.  KN

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 06:36:25 PM »
The Springfield stainless GI model looks perfect but is made in Brazil.

Well that was the one I was going to say you should get. Before I even read all the way though your post.

First off I thought they were made in Geneseo, IL.

Second I do not like the sights on the GI and the money it would take to get a part of Iron sights tailed in would not be worth it on a 500 dollar budget. I also do not like the fact that there is no beaver tailed palm grip style safety and I dont like the non ajust. trigger. But, you will not be using your Springfield for a target or TAC. gun. So I do not think it would matter.

I am a avid Springfield Armory shooter. I do not own the GI, but I do own about 6 Springfields. And in MHO you will be hard pressed to find a better gun then the GI 1911 Springfield style 1911s for 500 dollars.

I know you said SS and metal frame but, 500-550 dollars will get you any Glock out there. You could go .45 ACP/GAP or 10MM or .357 SIG for about $550.00. I also know you said no .357, I take it you meant357MAG. IMHO the .357sig is a hole new beast also IMHO I think I might like it more for a carry gun then the .357MAG.

As far as AMMO. I do not know if you "role your own". But if not there is not many cheep rounds out there in the CAL. we are talking. I do not know what you mean cheep. Cheep to me is .44mag. out of the box rounds. Cheep to some people is 9MM out of the box rounds or even .22LR. But I would say on AVG. with the rounds we are talking about you are looking at no less then 10.00 a box. That to me is dirt cheep and would not care about that.

As far as 6 shooters go. You have limited your self IMHO to about a Taurus.  :?  I do own a Taurus but it is a Raging Bull. It is every thing you noted but about $600.00 by the time your out the door.

I think You best bet might be look around for a nice used deal out there. You can find great guns like new even sometimes only a few 100 rounds though them at great used prices. Unless you can swing a few hundred more buck. That would open many more doors for gun options.

Just MHOs.
                                       Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline catblaster.375

Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 06:53:20 PM »
Thanks HouseofCash,

Yes Springfields are indeed made in Brazil , but they my be fitted in the US if I remember. I may decide to go with the Springfield but the one that I held was realy loose and it was almost impossible to get the slide release to budge but maybe it was just a bad egg. I may go with the Mil-Spec (improved sights) version instead of the GI.

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 07:17:57 PM »
find you a 629 mountain gun( tapered 4" barrel) you already have 44 ammo. I carry one in a high ride when out and about.

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 07:42:01 PM »
I may decide to go with the Springfield but the one that I held was realy loose and it was almost impossible to get the slide release to budge but maybe it was just a bad egg. I may go with the Mil-Spec (improved sights) version instead of the GI.

Well, I would say that the GIs I have held were tight. I do not think they had in mind with the GI as they did with the TRP.  :grin: I think the GI was more of a convo. piece. Kinda more of a looker, a look back into our history. I do know people that have them, they seem to be very pleased with them. But I have no true hand on with the weapon.

As far as the Mil-spec. There is still things I do not like about it. Same stuff as I noted in my first post. But, It has some better options then the GI. If I was going that route I would go with the Mil-spec.

find you a 629 mountain gun( tapered 4" barrel) you already have 44 ammo. I carry one in a high ride when out and about.

He has a good point. If you are tryn to save money on ammo, I think one of the best was to do it is not have to buy 4 different kinds. You would save money in the long run by sticking with one make of ammo. Plus the 4" inch bbl. would make for easy carry.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline catblaster.375

Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 07:42:48 PM »
Thanks southern utah but I was thinkin somethin a little quieter and cheaper to shoot since I don't reload.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 01:24:44 AM »
Either a Blackhawk or Redhawk in 44MAG.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline ed1921

• Avid Poster
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 05:44:37 AM »
Quote from: catblaster.375
Thanks southern utah but I was thinkin somethin a little quieter and cheaper to shoot since I don't reload.

Just load it up w/ .44 specials & it sounds like a perfect hip gun, even if a little heavy.
If you want cheap, go for .38 or 9mm or .22.

Offline RCL

• Avid Poster
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 05:57:28 AM »
I'll second the vote for a S&W 629 Mountain Gun. I've found mine makes for a real nice packin revolver.
If you shoot the generic ammo (Winchester White Box, Federal American Eagle, Remington UMC) you can keep the costs down somewhat. I like Federal myself.
If you are looking for cheap to shoot factory ammo, stay away from the .45 Colt.
 :D
Robert Leggett
"You sure you know how to skin grizz pilgrim?"

Offline jgalar

Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 06:01:58 AM »
You should be able to get a CZ for under $500 with no problem. A 75 in 40 or a 97 in 45

http://www.czusa.com/01.01.php

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 06:29:02 AM »
I bought my 629 mtn gun used for $400.  I was making a deal on another one last year for the same price. Decided I didn't need two. I have a few colts in 45acp ( 1991A1 80 series & a comander series 70) but I feel better with the 629 in the hills. I have a pattern for the hgh ride holster and can send pics of 629 and holster if interested.

Offline rvtrav

• Avid Poster
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 03:27:04 PM »
most everybody has already hit on what I'd consider,
 But a combo, the Ruger Blackhawk in .45 colt with a .45ACP cylinder may touch the big caliber and cheap gun/ammo criteria, as well as the made in the USA requirement. And their plenty accurate.

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
Ranch carry piece
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 04:52:41 PM »
While growing up on a working cattle ranch, I generally carried a Ruger OM Blackhawk in .41Magnum. It was mostly for targets of opportunity and serious predators we had around (black and grizzly bear, mountain lion, wolves, and coyote. I usually carried a pre-64 Model 94 Winchester in a scabbard, too.

Given your list, I'd opt for a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a short barrel in .44 magnum. All kinds of ammo is available, some cheaply. You can shoot from the Cowboy load stuff all the way to the Buffalo Bore, Corbon, and Garrett boomers. A much more versatile packer for on a ranch than a 1911 I feel. 8)
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline oso45-70

Handgun General Discussion
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 05:32:28 PM »
Catblaster,

I go along with Joe Mack, I wouldent want any Semi Auto working in ranch conditions, Seems to me you would have dirt in them all the time.
If you already have a 44 mag. the short bbl Ruger would be the ticket.
You could always use 44 spl. for plinking and mag.s for heavy duty work.
JMO. Good luck ...........Joe.........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 06:34:21 AM »
I have carried a .22 mag but found it too small a caliber to do anything except scare stuff.  Then I went to 9mm easy to carry but was not happy with its performance for euthanizing shots on deer.  Now I am going to a .357 with 6 inch barrel (easy to carry and provides better accuracy than the 4 inch barrel IMHO).  If you have wild pigs then a .44 mag would he prudent, however, we dont have wild pigs, Yet.

Doug

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 11:12:30 AM »
For concealed carry, my choice for the last 40 or so years has been an M1911 of one make or another.  I currently carry a Kimber Custom Classic.

For horseback and woods carry, I have several guns -- I like a .22 LR (my favorite being a Colt Officers Model Target), a .357 (usually a Colt SAA with 5 1/2" barrel, and often loaded with .38 Special wadcutters) or a .45 Colt -- either a Colt New Service or a Ruger Blackhawk.

Here is a gun that would fit all your specifications:

$445.00 5" Blackhawk with new steel grip frame and new belt mountain base pin. .45colt with factory 45 acp cyl. Incuded is the alloy frame, old base pin and holster. Rated at 90%. Buyer to pay shipping to ffl. I wille-mail photos

You can find it on www.gunsamerica.com.  Use the custom search feature and enter .45 Colt as your key word, and search Ruger Single Actions.

Offline earschplitinloudenboomer

• Avid Poster
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 07:09:22 PM »
I know it's out of the caliber designations you listed...but take a look at a milsurp CZ52. Quality gun, under $150.00, cheap ammo available...and the fun factor is WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY up there!
  Same size and heft of a 1911, 7.62X25 caliber. Muzzle velocity is great (up to 1600 fps) Ammo available in surplus, also available in soft point and hollow point. Gun gets a lot of respect from guys standing next to you at the range!!!

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 08:09:47 AM »
.357 revolver (Ruger) with full loads in the front, .38's in the middle and snake loads in the last two cylinders.

I carry a .22 mag. Ruger single six.    At close range it is pretty powerful.  and we kill trapped hogs with it.  And with a simple cylinder change, it becomes a quiet plinker.   In a holster, you hardly know it is there.

pepaw

Offline Spencer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2005, 08:16:13 AM »
I too will vote for the 629 mountain gun.
A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at the golf course.

Offline Dusty Miller

Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2005, 10:19:04 PM »
FA modle 97 in 45 Colt with fixed sights.  Load it  hot and pack it every day!! :P
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 11:59:44 AM »
My question would be: Do you shoot a semi auto as accuratly out to 50-75 yards as a revolver. I don't and for that reason would give an edge to the revolver in this case.  For ranch duty I would want that longer reach. Though I don't have one a 44 would give you the option of shooting specials or magnums and be readily available.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline narvous

Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 05:39:59 PM »
Ruger v ss 45 lc #1 :grin:

Offline Bucolic Buffalo

Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2005, 08:15:47 AM »
I have both a Ruger redhawk with a 7.5 in barrel, a colt anaconda with an 8 in barrel and a S&W 696 .44 sp. These are all great guns.

I like my colt the best but since price is a consideration of yours The Ruger redhawk with a 5.5 in barrel would be an excellent choice for the money and best fiots the criteria you set out. Rugers are great guns and with the redhawk you have the choice of loads from .44 specials to the Heavy loads of garrett and corbon.

Offline catblaster.375

Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 08:50:31 AM »
I decided on buying the Springfield GI stainless. I realy like it but will probobly trade for an original Colt latter on. I just got back from the ranch. I shot seven rattlers and four rabbits in three days. Shot all using 230gr ball. I will probably be heading back again in august for a longer stay.

Thanks for your replies and God bless

Offline yuppie

Kinda out of season on rabbits,
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2005, 08:09:40 AM »
aint it?  I've worked farms and ranches most of my life, there's lots more call for the use of a .22 than anything else in the way of a gun, no matter where you are.

Offline Daniel61

Packin Pistol
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2005, 01:41:47 PM »
Well, my every day packin gun is a five shot Smith and Wesson model 60 357 with the three inch barrel and adjustable sights, but if a .40 and over is a must I'd go with the five shot S&W 44 special. Sometimes I tote an n frame smith 10mm, but they just get in the way of work.

Offline redhawk44p

• Avid Poster
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2005, 02:24:17 PM »
The Ruger 4 5/8ths 45 LC is a dream to pack. It has tons of power.  There is surely a friendy person who reloads ammo near you.

Offline JDJones

ranch carry
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2005, 07:31:22 AM »
Well, I go for the Smith 500 for serious work. Course, up where I ride, trouble would be a bear at 10 feet, not a snake. Fit the tool to the job.
JD

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
Ranch Carry Handgun
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2005, 03:13:30 PM »
I would choose the 460S&W round, you can also shoot 454 Casull and 45 Long colt rounds........... 8)