Author Topic: still having problem with 22 hornet  (Read 1057 times)

Offline 5.56er

• Trade Count: (0)
still having problem with 22 hornet
« on: April 19, 2005, 03:08:10 AM »
it has improved to 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups but I think i am going to move up to a 45 grain bullet i was shooting a 40. are there any more tricks to making it shoot at least under a an 1 1/2. help appreciated
mauser 1895

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 03:27:46 AM »
I've had good luck with the 35gr vmax, hornady loads a factory load & it worked well with mine, box of 25 was about $14, good to try. Haven't loaded any up though been too busy with work & kids :D
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 06:09:08 AM »
I've worked up accurate loads in four Hornets over the years (only one a Handi) and bullet sensitivity was the "problem" in all four. The 35 and 40 gr V-Max are the ones to start with but if they won't shoot after you try several reasonable powder charges I suggest you switch bullets. I would find the promising bullet before fiddling with different primers and whatnot. Unfortunately, 1.5" five-shot groups at 100 yds. is really pretty good for a Hornet.

Offline RadioTech

.22 hornet
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 08:33:38 AM »
I've got an older H&R hornet and it really likes the Speer 40 gr. spire point  .224 dia. bullet over 11 grains of WW-296.  If I'm careful it will print a thumbnail size group at 100 yards.  Hit on that load early on so I didn't have to experiment much.
Deactivated at member's request.

Offline tcman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 01:15:55 PM »
I've done a lot of reading on several forums about the 22 Hornet...Borrowed one from a gunsmith buddie as well and did a little shooting.

Reality is that they appear to be VERY touchy to load for...probably more than most any caliber I've read about. Type of gun doesn't seem to matter.

The up-side is when you find the sweet-spot, load wise, you'll be a proud daddy.

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 01:42:06 PM »
The Hornet is one of the cases where I have found the brass to make very much difference in group size.  

With the same load of 13.5 gr Lil'Gun, 40 gr V-Max, CCI 400, the Rem brass will consistently shoot better than Win brass.  

I use a Lee collet neck size die and turn the brass 90 degrees for a second squeeze with the collet.  Brass life is long enough that I have forgotten how many times the brass has been loaded.  The velocity is 2750 fps out of a 20" SL barrel.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 03:18:02 PM »
I tried Paul's load in my hornet, didn't shoot worth beans, no offense Paul, it just may not work in all Handi hornets. My best hornet load so far is with win brass, 35gr Vmax and a max load out of the 2004 Hodgdon Annual manual using Lil'Gun powder. 10 shots in less than 1" with most of em in less than ½"....a good shot could probably put em all in a ½"!!! :wink:
Primers were a bit flattened, but that seems to be a characteristic of Handis, even with factory ammo.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 03:42:29 PM »
one piece of advice i can pass along is that any VMAX bullet is a poor choice for the 22 hornet.

the VMAX bullets are heavily jacketed bullets that are good for high velocity rounds like the 223 and the like. hornets require thin jackets for any kind of expansion.

a VMAX fired in a hornet will never expand, the case cannot take the pressure required to obtain the velocity needed for any sort of reasonable expansion.

check out hornady 35 and 40 grain hornet bullets, they offer spire points and round noses with extremely thin copper jackets. other company's make them too.

make sure you order .224 diameter bullets too, a lot of older hornet rifles have smaller bores and need .223 diameter bullets.

hornets are very thin cased cartridges, like a miniature 30-30, trim them to length so the necks don't split. my handy will split necks if i don't watch the case length.

a 35 grain hornet bullet and 10 grains (plus or minus) of H110 is a hot hornet load, but, it wo
n't generate enough velocity to expand a VMAX bullet. try cast bullets, lyman makes a real nice 37 grain gas check bullet mold that shots great with a few grains of unique or solo 1000.

i can't give a quick explanation why the VMAX give poor groups in the hornets, most probably due to a wrong pressure/time curve caused by the thicker jacket needing more pressure over a longer time period ?, who knows !

if i had to guess, fred has the answer to this !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 06:27:29 PM »
Hmmm, the critters I've shot with 40 gr V-Max Hornets haven't complained.  1 dog, 1 squirrel and 1 starling all went down without a wiggle with one shot each.  The dog was at 100 yards with no exit, the tree rat was at about 30 yards and messed his head up pretty bad and the starling was 30 yards with big exit wound.

Quick, this short skinny barrel may just like different fodder.  :roll:

BTW, I have heard from more than one source, you can't put enough Lil'Gun in a standard Hornet to hurt it.  13.5 gr is pretty much a case full in Win brass, but is a little less than that in Rem brass.  Did I forget to mention I load these at about 1.935"?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 06:50:18 PM »
Yes, I loaded them to your exact specs, shot about a 2" group at 100yds. That's the first thing I noticed about the Lil'gun, 13grs in a win case is a very compressed load, but it shoots great. I was a bit apprehensive at first, shooting that load in a pardner frame, but it's a great shooter with no stuck brass or any ill effects that I can see other than flattened primers....love it!!! Now I need to work up a load for the 40gr Vmax bullets... :roll:

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 04:41:22 AM »
Haven't shot any varments with my sons 22 hornet but with the 35gr vmax factory hornady loads were exploding milk jugs at 100yrds in fine style could'nt tell if there was an exite hole not much left in tact. If hornady loads th 35's in factory rounds they should do their job well, never have had a problem with hornady loaded ammo :grin:
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 01:53:09 PM »
Quick,

I've had gout in both feet, the thumb on my shooting hand and my TRIGGER FINGER for over a month.  The trigger that used to feel pretty good, even if it was a little heavy, is like trying to pull a freight train now!  However, I just wanted you to know these two 5 shot groups were shot today.  The left one is 1.375" and the right one is 1.625".

They won't win any postal matches, but they aren't bad for a 20" barrel off of sand bags!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 02:18:50 PM »
Paul,
That gout is some bad stuff, with it affecting your trigger finger, it's a wonder you can shoot at all, hang in there! Thanks for sharing, hope you get to feeling better. Maybe a little trigger hone is in order....but then you'd probably just kick my butt in the postal match.....so maybe the trigger job is a bad idea!!! :oops:

Tim

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 05:24:45 PM »
Quick,

I wouldn't even wish it on Big Mortie!   :shock:

If I was coordinated enough, I would try left handed.  At least I can sit to shoot and ride an ATV down to check the targets.  :grin: