Author Topic: Have questions - New to forum and to Handi rifles  (Read 668 times)

Offline Elkslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
Have questions - New to forum and to Handi rifles
« on: April 19, 2005, 05:44:15 AM »
Hi, rather new to this forum although I'm on several others under this name.

I'm excited about having just picked up a ever-so-slightly used Handi from a local shop (for $150) and am trying to learn more about it and Handi rifles in general.

In my research on this rifle I have discovered I bought an Ultra light. It has a black synthetic stock, a light .223 20" barrel without any sights on it and the forearm has a contoured grip. The BBL has Pardner - Handi Rifle stamped on the left side of the chamber along with the caliber.

I disassembled the rifle, cleaned the bbl and the ejecter and re-assembeled it. It ejects loaded rounds quite well but after reading about ejection problems I an concerned about it ejecting Mil-Surp ammo which I have plenty of and was planning on using. Shooting this little rifle will tell the tale I guess.

There is no O-ring on the front forearm stud and the bbl seems to rub on the front of the forearm. The action locks up tight when closed. Should I install an O-ring or shoot it to see what it does without one?

A big question I have is what height of rings to purchase. I will be using a Burris 3X9X33 compact scope on it and would like to know what rings others are using.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Have questions - New to forum and to Handi
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 06:01:15 AM »
Welcome Elkslayer. I've read your posts before. What part of Wyoming do you hail from? I get to the Cody area on business on a regular basis.

I hope you'll like the Handi. (But we warn you: It is hard to stop at only one.) Shoot it first to see how it is out of the box. If unsatisfied, then start the "tricks". (Most shoot good as shipped.) I've been able to get by with medium Burris Z rings.
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Welcome
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 06:02:18 AM »
Hello and welcome to the board.  I'm sure there'll be more chiming in.

As far as modifications, the o-ring in particular, my opinion is, shoot first, then decide.  If for no other reason than to have a baseline against which to judge any mods by.

In my own experience, I tried the o-ring on a 22mag and my groups went straight to awful.  Every rifle is different.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 06:03:58 AM »
Welcome Elkslayer..:D

The shooting of mil-surp ammo has come up recently..http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=61414

so...all I can say is be carefull....the only synthetic stock I've had on any of my Handi's has been the store-arm forearm that came with my Survivor...so I will defer this to those that know more...as to the compact scope...I've used 2 different style rigs before...the Leupold QRW's and the Burris Signature...both High......and I use a 2x7x33 Leupold VX-1 on one...and 3x9x40's...and 4x12x40's on the others...I would go with the Burris signature rings...they won't damage your scope...and are easy to install...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 06:26:23 AM »
Hello Elkslayer.  Welcome to the wonderful world of the Handi-rifle!  

You are on the right track so far with your cleaning.  These fine little guns generally need a good cleaning prior to use.  Seems you hit the correct areas.  Some even recommend removing the butt stock and spraying the reciever thoroughly with an appropriate gun cleaner.  

Most folks have had problems with military ammo sticking in the chamber.  I experianced this with my .223.  Due to the success of others on this site, I now use the Winchester white box 45 gr. found at Wally World, Gander Mtn, Bass Pro, etc.  Some folks have fixed the sticking problem by using J-B Bore polish.   You'll finds several threads about that on this site.

The O-ring acts to float the barrel.  Many have used this with success.  The general recommendation seems to be to fire your rifle first  to check if you need to.  I've learned to allow the rifle to properly cool between shots to achieve the most accurate results.  Additionally, it seems that resting the Handi rifle on the receiver rather than on the forend also has a positive affect on the accuracy. Resting on the forend seems to cause a binding action at the receiver

If your rifle came with the factory mount it should have a hammer spur.  The spur will allow you to use low-med mounts depending on the size of your scope.  If no hammer spur, you may have to use high rings so the scope will clear the hammer.  Reviewing the previous threads, you will find that a variety of mounts are used.  There are pro's and con's.  Read whatever you can and make the decision thats best for you.  I have had good luck using Leupold Rifleman high mounts for my handi-'s without the spur. I have also used the Weaver Quad mounts with good success.  

Again, Welcome to the site.  The moderators and contributors are a great bunch.  You will find that there is a wealth of knowledge available here.  

EVOC ONE

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 11:27:24 AM »
Elkslayer-welcome good to have ya with us. :-)
I am also kinda new here, but I have already learned a TON of stuff and some great fellas here that are very willing and ready to give advice.
What Evoc said hold true. Also one thing that has taken me a little while to get down is the trigger/hammer fall. I was strickly a bolt guy and this was a new fell for me other than the Tompson Black Powder rifle I shoot from time to time.
But I believe really practicing with these little Ultra/Handi rifles will make me a better marksman in the long run. These guns are a lot of fun and can be incredibly accurate as well-making the deal even better. Keep us informed on how your little ultra light shoots. How's the trigger on yours?
I too am considering one of these down the road.  These guns are like tator chips-ya can't have just one.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 02:31:24 PM »
Welcome aboard, Elkslayer! What they all said, but I'll clarify a couple things....the Burris Signature Zee rings are the signature rings you'll need, the standard Signature rings are for dovetail bases, you will need the weaver type.  The determining factor for ring height is usually the power ring/ocular bell intereference with the hammer, if it clears there, you can get away with medium sign zees which are .270" tall. A good example of this is the 50mm WTC18 below mounted in medium sig zees on a .280 Remington Handi, with the hammer extension, there is no interference with the scope.

On the milsurp issue, you'll find that Handis don't like it and it will cause the emtpy case to stick in the chamber. New .223 handis and Ultras come with a warning note not to use the 5.56 Nato ammo in them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/quickdtoo/223Notice.bmp" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Elkslayer

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 04:40:49 PM »
Thanks all for the greetings and the advice.

I'll be putting a scope on it this weekend and will try to get it out to the range on Monday.

Offline Elkslayer

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 10:22:11 AM »
I just couldn't stand it and took the handi to the range sans scope and ran about 10 rounds of IMI 109 ammo thru it. Each case ejected just fine!! I'm a happy camper it will eject the IMI ammo.

Bought a set of Burris medium Zee signature rings today and set the scope on it during lunch. I think the medium rings will work just fine although the scope I have (Burris 3x9x33 compact) would allow for the use of Low rings. I'm not sure I would be able to honey up to the stock using low rings.

Now to bore sight it and get to shooting!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 10:46:35 AM »
It's a good thing you didn't look for the low Burris sig zees, they don't make em, just med and high!! Their mediums at .270"are close to industry standard low, highs are actually mediums at .420 Sounds like you're moving right along!!!! :agree:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain