Author Topic: .30-30/Ballistic Tip-- COAL?  (Read 922 times)

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
.30-30/Ballistic Tip-- COAL?
« on: April 19, 2005, 08:01:58 AM »
What COALs are you folks using with these bullets in the Handi? I need a starting point

Ideal COAL will be related to your specific rifle.  I'd suggest starting at just out of contact with the lands.  Here's a link on how to build a coal gauge for almost nothing:  

http://www.mikeswillowlake.com/coal_gauge.htm

and here's another to a system for developing an accurate load.  If you do this load test, please email me or post here with the results.

http://www.mikeswillowlake.com/ladder%20test.htm

God luck.  I have one of the 30-30/12 gauge combo guns and it's one of my favorite firearms.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 08:35:45 AM »
44mag:

When you do find the oal for your bullets...I would suggest you back them up well into the case at least 1 bullet diameter in the neck.....most Handi's shoot just fine with the amount of bullet jump they are throated for,and you really don't need to try to seat them out to touch the lands...these aren't bolt guns...and when tryiing to max out your loads like this...it won't give you the best accuracy...experiment with the various loads...and see for yourself...NEF says they have longer throats to keep the pressure down somewhat...and if it is excessive as was longcruises 223...then ship it back to NEF...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 01:27:23 PM »
I've been using 150 grain ballistic tips in a Remington case, Federal 210 primers, and 30.5 grains of IMR 3031 Coal 2.75.  I've been getting excellent accuracy and about 2200 FPS.
Hope this helps
Tony212

Offline glock29

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 10:29:59 AM »
I never use coal in any of my rifles....I use gunpowder !
Go MAGNUM/MAX LOAD or GO HOME !    
Always use MUCH more gun than the minimum required to do the job.
Recoil is your FRIEND...It lets you know you are using something WORTHWHILE !

Zero

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 11:33:50 AM »
Glock 29
                Now that put a smile on my face.... :grin:

Offline jcunclejoe

• Avid Poster
Regarding COAL
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 11:20:47 AM »
I just made a post in the Handloading for Rifles and handguns section concerning cartridge over all length.  It has some great information learned from my time as a member of the Nosler Technical Service group, and specifically mentions Ballistic Tip bullets. I was going to respond to this post but I thought the information might be useful to others as well.
Please give it a read, I hope it will be helpful.
Joe

Offline single_shooter

OAL Gauge
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 01:27:05 PM »
I recommend a OAL gauge made by stoney point,  the best place to get one would probably be www.midwayusa.com.  You can also get Modified cases for most factory calibers.