Author Topic: What is a Sten gun worth  (Read 1386 times)

Offline PeterB

• Trade Count: (0)
What is a Sten gun worth
« on: April 20, 2005, 04:09:25 AM »
My nephew has a Sten gun and said he want's to sell it.  I asked how much?  $1,000 he says.  I know it is in fair to good condition (I've fired it) and I believe he has around 10, 32 rnd mags, two barrels (I believe).  Since I surely don't "need" a sub machine gun I figure perhaps I could by it and shoot it a little then sell it at a later date for a profit.  I know I would need to get the permit ($200 I believe) so the rig would cost me around $1200.  Anyone have any idea what one is worth?

Offline IntrepidWizard

What is a Sten gun worth
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 04:27:45 AM »
You understand of course with out a Special Permit you cannot own a "Machine gun"/full auto weapon ---don't you?
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline PeterB

What is a Sten gun worth
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 09:36:07 AM »
Quote from: IntrepidWizard
You understand of course with out a Special Permit you cannot own a "Machine gun"/full auto weapon ---don't you?

Yes, a class III permit is required.  As I stated, I believe they cost $200, not positive of the price for the permit.

Offline patm41

• Avid Poster
What is a Sten gun worth
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 01:30:28 PM »
First of all is it a transferable Sten ?   Origional tube Sten's will bring
$3000.00 -$4000.00  ,,, Sten's that have been built using a aftermarket
tube will bring $2000.00-$3000.00,,,
But be sure its a legal transferable gun,,, if it is not.. Id stay far away from it...  And yes a $200.00 tax must be paid when you submit your forms to the ATF.. then be prepaired to wait up to 6 months till you get
your stamp back... then you may take possision of the gun....
you better not get caught with the weapon with out the stamp..(paperwork)....

Offline PeterB

What is a Sten gun worth
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 03:59:00 AM »
Quote from: patm41
First of all is it a transferable Sten ?   Origional tube Sten's will bring
$3000.00 -$4000.00  ,,, Sten's that have been built using a aftermarket
tube will bring $2000.00-$3000.00,,,
But be sure its a legal transferable gun,,, if it is not.. Id stay far away from it...  And yes a $200.00 tax must be paid when you submit your forms to the ATF.. then be prepaired to wait up to 6 months till you get
your stamp back... then you may take possision of the gun....
you better not get caught with the weapon with out the stamp..(paperwork)....

Well, my nephew has the stamp for the gun (I've seen it).  The gun was transferred to him from his dad's collection years ago.  As such I assume it is fully transferable.  Obviously I don't know enough about Class III weapons. Yes I know I must wait for the stamp and that I can not take possession of the gun until I have the stamp.  I don't know about the status of the tube (original or aftermarket), but sounds like I NEED THIS GUN. :lol: .  Thanks for the info.
Peter