Author Topic: Why FMJ in a .38 Special  (Read 447 times)

Offline willysjeep134

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Why FMJ in a .38 Special
« on: April 20, 2005, 09:39:19 AM »
I was looking through the Midway USA catalog and noticed they offered a lot of .38 special ammo. They have 85 and 100 grain frangible ammo, which makes sense for indoor spaces and the like. They have the classic lead selection, a few jacketed hollowpoints and softpoints in various weights, they have totally encased ammo for indoor shooting, then they have the FMJ cheap ammo.

Why on earth do ammo makers make these light FMJ loads? They aren't enclosed at the base, so it isn't like it's clean indoor ammo. Mostly it comes in weights from 125 to 140 grains, even one company offers a 158 grain flatpoint. What applications would a slightly faster FMJ bullet be preferable over a traditional lead slug?
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Why FMJ in a .38 Special
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 11:09:33 AM »
willysjeep134.  The Geneva Convention requires military forces to use non-expanding or ball ammunition.  The 38 Special is still listed as one of the calibers used by the United States Armed Forces which comply with the requirements set forth in the Geneva Convention.  I believe the ball ammunition commonly loaded for the US military carries the 38 Super's 130 grain fmj bullet.   The Fiocchi 38 Spl ball ammo carries a 158 gn roundnose fmj.

It might also have an application for you if you are a pelt or fur hunter.  Beyond that I would consider it shooting fodder, much like surplus 9mm and the like.  HTH.  Mikey.