Author Topic: 25-06 not grouping like I would like!  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
25-06 not grouping like I would like!
« on: April 20, 2005, 11:29:26 AM »
I went out today and sighted in the rifle for the first time. Its a 26" Ultra, shot it 9 times and was all over the target,put a plastic washer under the forarm, this helped some. Cleaned the rifle every 8-9 shots, with not any gain in accuracy. The ammo I was using was 100gr. Rem Green Box. Shot 40 rds. with a 3" group at the end. Does anyone have a good pet load for this barrel. I have a set of dies for the 25-06 and have reloaded for 25 years,never for the 25-06. The trigger pull is at 31/2 lbs. and have a 450 Marlin on the same receiver and it shoots 11/2 groups and didn't do much in working up the load. Can any of you give me some helpful information?  Zeak

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 11:59:36 AM »
The Federal 115gr Nosler partition shoots less than 1" groups out of my 25-06 Ultra, with the 1st 2 rounds touching, and the Hornady 117gr BTSP shoot almost as good. I haven't shot mine much, but I did polish the chamber and bore with JB non-embedding bore compound before I ever shot it, the bore polishing will reduce the number of rounds required down range before you get optimum accuracy. I've probably got about 50 rounds thru it...I also don't clean it at the range, H&R bores seem to like to be shot dirty....up to a point anyway. :wink: The polishing should reduce the amount of jacket fouling accumulating in the bore, does the same thing as shooting a lot without the in between cleaning needed.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline slayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 12:14:11 PM »
Hypothetically, how many shots do you think it would take to smooth it out if you didn`t use the compound on the barrel? Jack.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 01:03:18 PM »
Most shooters here say 100-200 rounds, sometimes more.... but I usually get good accuracy after as few as 40-60 rounds after the polishing.

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
25-06 not grouping
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 01:42:46 PM »
How would fire lapping work? I have the compound and everything to do it. I did it on a old 8mm military rifle and it helped a bunch. It could also make it worse. Better try the JB polish first before I really break it.  Zeak

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 02:25:14 PM »
From what I've read, fire lapping can work well, but the JB bore compound is real easy on the barrel and no harm can come to the bore if used properly. You can also use Flitz or any fine metal polish like Maas or Simichrome, just be careful in the throat and at the muzzle with the rod, use a rod guide. The procedure is in the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum. A bore mop can also be used as well as a patch on a jag.....the moly bullet part is not necessary.

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 05:37:16 PM »
If you don't mind shooting it in, you can use 22.5 gr Blue Dot with a cheap 100 gr Rem bullet at about 2250 fps.  The recoil is very light, it will make a 100 yard group at 1.25" out of a Mod 700 Rem without tinkering, the brass should last forever and the brass will be fireformed so you can just neck size.

I prefer shooting to polishing and I don't need a guide rod to shoot!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 05:46:20 PM »
I just use a muzzleguard, either brass or nylon, they fit right into the chamber on the rod, simple to use and cheap, they cost less than $2.

http://kleenbore.bizland.com/store/product381.html

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 08:19:37 PM »
Zeak:

Here's a 5 shot group from my 25-06 Ultra...even though some don't think till you shoot way more shots than this in a group that you can tell if it's accurate.....these were the first 5 shots from the rifle...I'm using Winchester factory 115 grain Ballistic Silvertips...and I can say...after putting more than 125 of this factory load thru it...it still groups as good...

You can read the thread here on it...
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48130&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

While they cost more than the Green box ammo...they are worth every penny more for a factory load...and I've purchased 4 boxes of the bullets and 100 new Remington nickle cases...they work great...they shoot great...and they are accurate...do as what has already been said..use the Flitz...and have a dry chamber...when shooting...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 09:13:34 PM »
Yep, that's the way my Ultra 25-06 shoots both with factory Federal 117 gr and Sierra 117 gr handloads. Best shooting 25-06 I've owned.
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007