Author Topic: resizing 308 brass to 7-08  (Read 355 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
resizing 308 brass to 7-08
« on: April 20, 2005, 07:27:34 PM »
Okay, maybe these are dumb questions but:
1.  Can I resize my 308 brass to 7-08 easily?  If so with what?
2.  I got two RCBS presses (in a chance of a lifetime $15 deal, but I don't know how to use them yet), anyway, will other brands of dies go onto these presses?

Offline RugerNo3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 02:21:30 AM »
The indusrty standardized on the 7/8-14 thread for dies many yrs ago. The Lyman 310 series is an exception and there are some gigantic cases that require larger dies. The H&H based magnums and 06-308 cartridge heads and all handgun cases are dies based on the 7/8-14 thread dies. Lots of interchangable dies by many manufacturers. There can be some problems with old shellholders in thickness and you can move the case shoulder back too far causing head space problems. A rule of thumb is use the same brand shell holder as the die body, and watch the case length and datum line dimensions. You'll need mic's for this and any good precision measuring instruments you can afford. Get a good reloading manual, Lyman 47 or 48 is a good start and read the getting into reloading section and find a friend or advanced reloader for additional help.
The answer to your first question is yes, but the second question's answer takes precedence for reloading starters. If you got the Rock Chucker presses, the will last forever and they should be a good start.
Reforming cases is not cut and dried, so get the basics down pat before you attempt it. A hundred 7-08 cases can be had cheap compared to consequences of improper sized and reformed reloaded cases. Good luck.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 04:48:23 AM »
Like RugerNo3 said. Also when forming brass from .308 to .284 you want to check you neck brass thickness. It might need to be turned. As stated, get a good recent reloading manual and start with page one. All that I have seen give excellent step by step instruction for getting started in reloading. By the way, I've been trying to wear out the same RCBS Jr. press since 1970. They are good equipment. Good luck.
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007