Author Topic: Colt shoulder stocks  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Nyghtfall

• Trade Count: (3)
Colt shoulder stocks
« on: April 21, 2005, 08:40:46 AM »
I have an 1860 Army Colt replica made Pietta.  I also have a shoulder stock that is supposedly made for the 1860.  It does not fit.  What is the difference between the stock for the 1860 Army and the one for the 1851, Navy?

Offline ribbonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Colt shoulder stocks
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:43:25 AM »
Believe it would be the length of the clamp (and the brass housing on the belly opf the stock the clamp runs through). The 1951 and 1860 have the same basic grip (can interchange them)...just that the 1860's is about 1/2" longer.

BUT...have found many of the recent reproductions to be a bit fat in the grips...too fat for the shoulder stock to attach. Have an old (1960's made) 1860 Uberti with shoulder stock...that stock will not fit neweer made gluns unless i thin the grip a bit.

Can try it with the wooden grips removed and the grip frame back in place...if ti fits, then you know it's the thick grips.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
Colt shoulder stocks
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 12:23:18 PM »
The one I fitted to my 61 Navy is a bit narrow for my uberti army.  I suspect I could open it up to fit both.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline LEE3370

Pietta shoulder stocks
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 04:36:10 AM »
Hello,
I have both 1860 and 1851 with stocks, made by Pietta. The 1860 has an extra screw on each side of the frame to hook the stock on for mounting. On the 1851, the stock came with a longer hammer screw and a round nut. You replace the hammer screw and screw on the nut, this is what the front of the stock hooks on for mounting.
Lee

Offline Flint

stocks
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 02:50:52 PM »
The Pietta shoulder stock will fit either the 1860 Army or the 1861 Navy, as the brass clamp guide is short enough to let the clamp pull up to the Navy butt, however a lot of thread projects up when fit to a Navy..

The Uberti shoulder stock is specific for the Army or Navy, as the clamp guide and the clamp's threaded portion is a different length for each.

The 1851, or the Remington or SAA stock use the long hammer screw mount, and none of those guns have the cut in the recoil shields or butt that the 1860 and 1861 Colt type has.

As previous responder mentioned, often the wood is too wide by a bit to pass through the wings of the shoulderstock, and  the wood pistol grips need to be narrowed a bit at the top to work.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Nyghtfall

Colt stocks
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 03:47:42 PM »
OK, from what everyone has said, it looks like I have a stock for the 1851 Navy.  Will this stock also fit the Remington, or the SSA?  Can it be adapted to the 1860 Army?   It's a really nice stock, tiger-striped walnut, and has never been used.   I guess I might have to sell it or get a Navy to use it on.

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
Colt shoulder stocks
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 05:14:44 PM »
Not going to fit anything that doesn't have (1) the cut out on the recoil shield for the "hook's" to latch into and (2) the little detent in the bottom of the grip frame.  There are also 3 large headed screws in the frame of the cap=and=ball repros that is supose to bear on the stock...they seldom actually touch anything.

Besides...it would be illegal to use this on a cartridge gun...and I suspect a cartridge converted BP gun as well.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
Colt shoulder stocks
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 03:56:57 AM »
I've fooled around with both the stocked army and 61 navy.  Mine both have good triggers so, I can shoot them at least as well two handed at arms length.  The sights are closer to your face with the stock mounted and this cancels out the advantage of the increased steadiness.

I shot the cans in this picture and then did it over two handed standing and got five out of six again.
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Muzzleloaders_and_Blackpowder/61navyfiveofsix.jpg
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Flint

shoulderstock
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 05:55:38 PM »
Ribbonstone, read my post again...  The Stock that fits the "Buffalo" Remington by Pietta uses a long hammer screw to locate, no cuts in the recoil shield or butt.  This stock also fits the SAA and 51 Navy if you use or make the extended hammer screw.

This is the way the Colt skeletonized SAA stock was fitted, though it is illegal to use in that cartridge gun.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
Colt shoulder stocks
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 11:48:47 AM »
Belive it was MItchel that offered an 18" SAA cartridge version ith a shoulder stock...they've stopped offering it some time back.  Hadn't known that Pietta offered the stock for the Buffalo still...thought (wrongly it appears) that that had been discontinued.  Given enough time and effort, am usre you could adapt that stock to fit on other handguns...the legality of which would be up to you.

Do not quite agree with MEC, the stock makes little difference, but it is a measureable difference.  From a bench, where you can pull your face back to a point that would be impossible standing, it shows a greater advnatage.

Back in 1860, they should have made the stock hollow,,,,and filled it with rum like a canteen...that way, the troops issued one would have been likely to keep it.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
Colt shoulder stocks
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 06:29:09 PM »
I have been notified that my e-mail address is not correct and that watched topic notifications have been bouncing. The e-mail address on my profile is active and functional so, I have no options that would please or molify the owner of this site. For this reason, I have deleted all watched topics from the profile and am terminating all participation on the board.

Please delete my account but make no implication visible to the public about wrong-doing, trolling, or other incorrect actions on my part.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Nyghtfall

Stock
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 10:38:20 AM »
OK, the stock does fit.  I was just not putting it on correctly.

Thanks.