Author Topic: 5.7x28  (Read 464 times)

Offline fyrepowrx

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
5.7x28
« on: April 21, 2005, 04:43:25 PM »
I was at a recent gunshow, and found several bags of once-fired 5.7x28 brass for sale, but didnt buy it...i didnt know enough about it at the time, but after reading a bit about it it seems interesting.

I have thought about how it might pereform in a 12" Contender barrel. I like loading / shooting different cartridges; does anyone offer brass for sale? Is it loaded from the factory with a standard .224 diameter bullet? The case capacity appeared to be a bit larger than the .22 CCM i shoot in a Contender & a Cooper rifle...would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.
8) There is plenty of room for all of God''s Creatures...Right beside the mashed potatoes.. 8)

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
5.7x28 Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 02:16:30 AM »
For the contender it's virtually worthless. I say that simply due to the fact that is has only a bit more power than the .22 Magnum and ammunition is fairly expensive. The glory of the cartridge lies in the pistol that is chambered for it.
The Five-seveN Pistol is the companion weapon to the P90 sub-machine gun. The 5.7x28mm ( LE ) ammunition has the capability of penetrating body armor at extended ranges, yet has less felt recoil and is less prone to over-penetration. The Five-seveN USG is an easily concealable single action pistol with a 20-round magazine capacity. A maximum use has been made of composite materials in the frame and slide to result in an extremely light weight, 1.7 pound, design. Description: FNM FIVE-SEVEN 5.7 USG Manufacturer: FNM Model #: Five Seven USG Type: Semi-Automatic Pistol Finish: Black Stock: Black Polymer Frame with Equipment Rail Sights: Adjustable 3-Dot Sights Barrel Length: 4.82" Overall Length: 8.2" Weight: 1.36lbs
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
5.7x28 Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 11:15:22 PM »
I like the FN5 Tactical that I bought, you can buy the civilian ammo for $20 bx of 50. I like all the thoughts of the weapon and it is a fun shooter.
Reloading is a problem and concern for some because of the lightweight case neck, I have not reloaded for it.
I do notice that the case neck bends/dents/deforms easily.
I also like the funky trigger guard on mine  :-) .
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
5.7x28 Questions
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 12:39:09 AM »
William,

You would be hard pressed to find ammunition costing 20.00/bx it's running between 40-70 dollars a box now for the SS192 and 30-50 for the SS195. Those are both the old and new hollow points not the restricted stuff. The cost should come down again once more gets here, but right now it's pretty steep.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com