Author Topic: Brunishing the barrel  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Brunishing the barrel
« on: April 22, 2005, 09:38:41 PM »
I have read the posts about burnishing a shotgun barrel.  I just wondered if anyone could post a pic of what the wood dowel looks like?  I just can't seem to understand how the 0000 steel wool hangs onto it.  I thought I read you should put some notches on the end.  I guess that's what I would like to see.  What kind of notches?  Thanks.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 02:43:43 AM »
I just cut a couple places on the dowel and wrapped the wool around it as tight as it clung to the dowel I don't even think you even need to cut it at all. The wool will probley catch any way. Try it you can't mess up. :wink:
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
dowel
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 02:52:23 AM »
Thanks.  I just wasn't quite sure about that.  It seemed like something simple enough, but I didn't want to screw anything up on a new barrel.  Do I need to spend more time on the chamber or will that polish up well too even though the diameter is bigger than the inside of the barrel.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 06:04:13 AM »
It will all polish I took the barrel off the receiver and held it agenst  the concrete garage floor and ran the towel up and down sometimes would have to add more steel wool as it wore down worked on it about a hour all together all I know is it worked. Looks like I am laid up today maybe most of the week. Just got back from the doc. pulled a muscle in the groin dang it hurts. No turkey hunting for awhile. I am not a happy puppy right now. :cry:
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
SUCKS GETTIN' OLD
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 06:48:37 AM »
Been there...Done that!!
Know EXACTLY what you're goin' through.  I've been hauling trash for 16 years now...so I know how that feels.  When you still feel healthy, its hard to remember that some of your parts are not young anymore and you need to stretch them before you move this way or that.  Ya just don't think about it that way when you feel good all the time.  
Anyway, I hope ya feel better soon.  Remember...STRETCH, STRETCH AND STRETCH some more.  That will help.
Thanks for the burnishing tips.  I will be gettin' into that real soon.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Ringneck16

Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 07:40:29 AM »
Just cut the handle off of an aluminum cleaning rod and screw in a brass brush. Wrap the brush with steel wool then chuck the rod in a drill. I haven't burnished a bore with it yet but I have used this method to remove fouling and it works great.

Offline jeff223

Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 09:18:26 AM »
ringneck is right on target with his directions.ive been doing that with smoothbore shotguns for years.this method is also a very good way to remove leading left from foster shotgun slugs in a smothbore sluggun.to do that you just add some NITRO solvent to the brush and steelwool combo.that drill sure takes the work out of it

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
burnishing
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 01:57:44 PM »
Thanks Guys.  
I think I can handle that.  BTW, I check out my 12ga barrel a little closer today.  As someone posted before, there was just a wee bit of metal from where the barrel was drilled and tapped for the bead.  Just a scrape or 2 with a sharp knife and it was gone.  This forum has more good info on it.  Thanks to all of you who share.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline vahunter

Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 10:14:43 AM »
Just spent an hour burnishing the barrel on my 10 ga.  Don't know if it did the barrel any good, --but I've got the shiniest, smoothest 2-foot length of 5/16 dowel in Virginia.  It's like a mirror.  Did somebody say--try it, you can't mess up?  

Vahunter :shock:

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 01:35:48 PM »
How did you get a wooden dowel to shine like a mirror?  I used a plain wooden dowel that I nicked the last 3" a few times with my pocket knife.  I then pulled apart a ball of OOO steel wool to separate it a little and wound a ball of it on the end of the dowel like a Q-tip.  The dowel was rough enough that I probably did not need to nick it.  In fact the steel wool stuck to the dowel so well that I twisted and broke the first dowel when I was working the full choke area of the barrel.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 03:51:33 PM »
I am with Brett the wool grab the wooden dowel and held on tight, I don't think I even need to nick the dowel. It did shin the inside of the barrel like a new penny.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 11:51:28 AM »
I agree with Brett and Hellcatcher.

I have burnished the barrels on serval of my shotguns and it has improved all of the patterns on all of them.  Not only does it improve the way the gun shoots it also makes it easier to clean.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline kylongbeard

Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 04:48:16 PM »
ok, I'm sort of new to this sight, so bare with me.  I'm scared to death that I'll mess this up.  However, I think I'll give it a shot.  Just take the handle off my metal cleaning rod, screw in the wire brush wrapped with 000 steel wool, chuck it to my drill and go to work?  Right?  Should I burnish my new Kicks's Gobblin Thunder .690 tube as well?  I'm assuming that I leave the choke in while doing this so not to mees up the threading?  I've heard this really works, but just not comfortable.  You guys have some excellent info here, so I don't doubt you...I simply doubt myself!

Longbeard

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 04:23:32 PM »
I doubt that the steel wool would hurt your threads but just to be safe I would keep a choke tube installed during the process.  Besides, burnishing the choke could only help.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline kylongbeard

Brunishing the barrel
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 04:50:50 PM »
Hey Bret you still on here?

Thanks for the reply, I finally got a few minutes to myself this afternoon (have a very active 2 year old).  Anyway, I only had 0000 steal wool but I went ahead and gave it a try.  35 miuntes with a drill and I have to admit it does look pretty darned clean.  I only had 35 minutes of life in my drill battery, so I hope the 0000 and only 35 minutes still helped a little. Hope to get to the range to try it out tomorrow (weather permitting).

Thanks again buddy,
Longbeard