Author Topic: Reloading Score!  (Read 596 times)

Offline targetguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading Score!
« on: April 23, 2005, 07:57:25 PM »
A friend of mine that knew I am into reloading just gave me a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights, 200 large rifle primers, 1 1/2 pounds of green dot, 1 pound of bullsey, and 1 pound of pyrodex- for free :-D   My lucky day!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Reloading Score!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 04:04:44 AM »
it is always nice to score some free stuff.  friday, i had a few minutes to kill and i havent made the rounds of the local tire shops since starting to work there.  i had two places i was going to stop, but i hit the jackpot at the first place.  two five gallon pails full of w.w. and the promise of exclusive rights to all they get in the future!   price-i left two new five gallon pails to replace the ones i took!   the guy would not take money for them.  he was just tickled to be rid of them.  glad i could help. :)
   be really careful with the powder given you.  you never know if it has been accidently mixed.   i guess i would rely on how trustworthy the guy is who gave it to you.   if he bought it and used it, fine; but if he doesnt know the history of it and wont promise it is what is supposed to be,  i wouldnt use it.   just be careful.   :wink:

Offline Forest T

Re: Reloading Score!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 06:05:52 AM »
Quote from: targetguy
A friend of mine that knew I am into reloading just gave me a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights, 200 large rifle primers, 1 1/2 pounds of green dot, 1 pound of bullsey, and 1 pound of pyrodex- for free :-D   My lucky day!
 AS Myronman3 has stated you are takeing a risk on the gun powder there is a article by Marshal Statton on www.Beartoothbullets.com about a man that bought Gun powder from a gun show and ruined a good riffle in loading with that powder I am not saying not to trust your friend but I am saying to quiston the gun powder I have been reloading for a number of years and I would never take gun powder from anyone if I do take it it turns in to fertilizer for the lawn    Forest T   ps go to this site and check this out  it is most deffinatly worth reading  Http://beartoothbullets.com/open_si...en_sight.htm/20  and check out what bad powder did to that gun

Offline halfbreed

• Avid Poster
Reloading Score!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 09:45:02 AM »
Forest, I think this is the link you were looking for, http://beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/archive_open_sight.htm/20  I bought an 8 pound canister of NEW military surplus WC-872, using H-870 load data as a starter, before I ever started loading with this powder I poured it all out to see if I could notice any differant types of powder mixed in. I am happy with the purchase, I just wished I had bought more powder of the same lot #.
 This is one area you definatly have to use your head for more than a hat rack.
Targetguy, congrats on the loading stuff and wheel weights, Just have to be careful with the opened containers of powder,
 Halfbreed

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
Reloading Score!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 12:10:50 PM »
Dunno guys. I'm normally about as cautious as anyone regarding such matters but these powders are pretty easy to recognize. Kinda hard to mix green dot up with anything else as it has the little green dots mixed in and the rest is black of same size. Bullseye is also a pretty easily recognized powder and I know of no other that looks all that similar. Pyrodex is also a quite easy to identify power and since all the BP substitutes are usuable on a volume for volume basis I don't see how you can go wrong on it.

I'd personally examine them and use as long as they passed the visual exam in this case. I'd not say that about all powders however.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline JPH45

Reloading Score!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 04:57:39 PM »
Boy, this is a toughie. I'm shooting some mil surp that is a flake powder, that if it were mixed in with anything Alliants "Dot" series or Unique, I doubt I would be able to tell it by a simple visual examination. I'd be hard pressed to tell if the Green Dot had been mixed with Unique. A toughie for sure, I used to burn a lot of Green Dot in 45 Colt and 45 ACP, a good powder. For me, the question would boil down to how well you know and trust your friend. About 2 years ago I was using some 5744, and was going to change out to Reloder 15. Well, I did the goof and dumped the 5744 from my measure into the R-15 jug. I poured the powder out onto a newspaper, couldn't tell noe difference.....I scattered it in the woods.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc