Author Topic: ultra slug gun????? need some advise  (Read 589 times)

Offline tomhargrove

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
ultra slug gun????? need some advise
« on: April 24, 2005, 05:26:25 AM »
gentelmen;

would like to ask acouple of questions . I have been reading this forum, for a while now.and i just realized that i think i have been caught up in your fever, seems like all i think about is one of the slug guns with a scope and how much fun they would be . i have a strong affection for any thing with a large bore ,the last time i felt an urge like this was thirty years ago and bought my first flint-lock ,still have the same feeling now that i did then . the slug-guns is doing the same thing to me, but there is so many types im not sure which to go .i would use it, i think mostly off my bench-rest and for deer but which one 12 or 20? i will reloade my own and cast the slugs .which would be the most practical  iwant to scope it and i like the laminated wood but i turn to the experts for advise so if you will please help me the fever is not getting any better and i dont think asprin will help this, unless it comes in a nef box thanks for letting into your forum and will be looking for your advise --tom h :P

"war does not decide what is right ,rather only what is left"

Offline 3s3k

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 07:03:22 AM »
Welcome aboard,I've had a ush youth model in 20ga for a couple of years
mainly for the weight and 22inch barrel and short stock due to bulky cloths needed during deer season up north,I'm very happy with the accuracy and ballistic. I don't reload so cannot address that.As for laminated stock&forend  you would have to go with ush deluxe unless you wanted to by them separate from factory which I'm thinking of doing to dress it up a bit.My 12gauge deer gun does not see the woods any more
because of the 20gauges accuracy, rifle like I must say to 125yds 2-3inch
groups with 4x32 scope .gl

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 08:52:25 AM »
When I had a 12ga SB2-980  USH, I cast the Lyman 525gr hourglass slug from wheelweights and handloded then in 3" Remington hulls with Alliant Blue Dot.  This load shot incredibly well, and recoil in THAT gun was tolerable enough to allow me to get sighted in properly, and to shoot occaissionally at the range to keep in touch, as it were.

It was a lot of gun for the 1 deer that I did get with it before I went to the Tracker II, and that  flat faced slug was absolutely devastating.

That slug uses regular shotgun wads as a sabot, and I could load that for about $0.60 per round.
not  counting equipment outlay.

Lyman also makes that mold in a 20ga.

So .... you still have to make up your mind..... :P
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 07:57:41 AM »
If I was to start from scratch right now I would go with a H&R Ultra Slug Deluxe in 20GA...I would scope it with a low fixed power scope like a 2.5x or something in the lower range variables like 1.75-4x or the like.  You can pick your favorite brand.  I like the fixed for its low price, durability and simplicity.  You can't goof it up once it is set.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense