Author Topic: Inexpensive target scope?  (Read 962 times)

Offline firstshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Inexpensive target scope?
« on: April 24, 2005, 06:32:17 AM »
I've got a REM 700 Mtn LSS with a Burris 3-9X40 on it for hunting and got Leupold quick releases (QRW) rings & bases which allow me to easily switch scopes.

I'm looking for an inexpensive high power scope (min 24X) for use at the target range. I don't shoot competition so don't need any high dollar scope.

Anyone got any experience with the lower price range high power scopes? If so, what would you recommend? Bushnell, Tasco, etc?

Thanks
firstshot
-----------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun !!

Offline safari

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 08:32:48 AM »
Ijust recently set up 3 new rifles for varmint hunting, and could only afford some lower prices optics for them. I chose a Bushnell 6X-24X40 Banner for a .22-250, a Banner 6X-18X50 for a .223, and  Bushnell Legend 5-15X40 for a .243. Hands down the Legend is the clearest and   my favorite, and has a mil-dot recticle. The 6-18X50 banner is the brightest, has a duplex recticle, pulls up to your shoulder quick, but is not quite as clear as the Legend. The 6-24X40 is  a nice scope, has target turrets, mil-dot, but is not as bright as the other two, is clearer optically than the 6-18X, but has the least eye-relief and takes longer to get your sight picture. Although they are 15X, 18X, and 24X, theres not enough difference in the  top end field of view to shake a stick at. I plan to upgrade the 2 Banners  in the future because they are ok, but not as good optically as I'd like. I will probably keep the Legend because it is as clear and bright optically as other scopes I have that cost two and three times as much.

Hope this helps-

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 09:39:21 AM »
Might give a Mueller a try at Optic Zone........... :shock:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 09:54:37 AM »
The Mueller Eraticator is used by some target shooters at RFC, but in comparison to a standard target dot, the Eraticator's dot may be too big at approx 3/8" at 100yds, I believe most target dots are about 1/8". But for the money, the 8.5-25x50IGR has extremely nice glass, resolutiuon and tracking/repeatability. Right now, Jon at The Optic Zone has them on special with free shipping and sunshade for less than $200.

www.theopticzone.com

http://www.savageshooters.com/Reviews/Mueller_Eraticator.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 12:05:20 PM »
I have experience with the current Bushnell Banner 6-24 and the old orginal Tasco World Class 6-24 made in Japan. I can recommend both as good scopes for your application. Haven't tried any other lower cost ones in that price range.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 12:50:40 PM »
Here's a new Japan Tasco that you may be interested in...

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92601

Offline firstshot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 07:11:43 AM »
I picked up a Simmons 6.5-20X50 Whitetail Classic with A/O at Midway on sale for $99.00.  The reviews @ Midway were very positive and I've owned a couple of Simmons in the past, an Aetec and a 44Mag.  They have always worked well and I've never had any problems with them.  Hopefully this one will be the same.

Also picked up a set of Lieupold High quick release rings (QRW) so I can easily switch out this scope with my Burris 3-9x40 hunting scope.

Will let you know how the Whitetail Classic works out.

firstshot
-------------------------------------

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 07:28:50 AM »
The only issue with the WTC18 is the X-hairs are way too course for good target work.... :cry:

Offline firstshot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 08:27:34 AM »
Scope came in today & I got it mounted on the rifle.  The Lieupold quick release mounts work just great.  Very easy to change scopes.

quickdtoo, you're right, the X-hairs are a bit thick, but hard to find thin X-hairs on a cheep hight power scope.  I think they'll do for my purposes though.  Otherwise the scope is bright & clear and the AO * Zoom seems to work well.

We'll see how she does at the range.  Hope to get out this weekend.

firstshot
---------------------------------