Author Topic: Parallax  (Read 564 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Parallax
« on: April 24, 2005, 01:25:11 PM »
I am looking to purchase a scope for a high end .22lr.   Mid to high end scopes are usually parallaxed for 100 yds to be put on centerfire rifles.   How important is the parallax being set at 50 or 60 yds.   I basically don't understand the concept of parallax.     I know leupold will reset parallax on their scopes, but I don't know the price, and if it is worth while.    Any thoughts, or explanation on parallax would be helpful.    Can I get by with the 100 yd parallax.    Thanks,   Curly.

Offline Dave in WV

Parallax
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 02:30:53 PM »
If you buy a scope with an adjustable objective lens for parallax you can set it yourself. I bought a Leupold compact 3x9 EFR for my .22. It works fine.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline getom59

Parallax
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 02:33:03 PM »
Parallax is seen when you move your head around while looking through a scope and the crosshairs seem to move on the target.  If your scope is set to be free of parallax (at a given range) when you move your head the crosshairs will appear to be fixed, or welded to the target.

Some scopes come set to be parallax free at 50 yards, others at 100 yards, while some have adjustable objectives that allow you to dial out the parallax at different ranges.

What type of scope you need depends on how you’ll be using it.  I like adjustable objectives for target shooting.  For the type of hunting I do I like my hunting scopes to be factory set for parallax at the yardage I expect to get my most of my shots.  Afterall, it’s not too often that you’ll have a squirrel, deer, or coyote stand around and wait for you to get your parallax adjusted

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
Parallax
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 02:40:53 PM »
Why not go with and adjustable objective?  The Mueller's are marked down to 50yds but I bet you could adjust it to 25yds as well.  The dot on the reticle is very nice for shooting small dot targets.  The Tasco on my CZ452 is adjustable down to 25 yds.(not that I would recommend a Tasco, just pointing out you can get a AO that will adjust down to 25yds)

Unless you are looking to keep the weight/size down I would buy a good quality scope with an adjustable objective.

Check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com/

Looks like someone responded while I was typing!  I like AO for long range hunting, fixed for up close and personal!  For benchrest AO is the way to go IMO.

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
Parallax
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 10:24:17 AM »
If your going to be Hunting/Plinking at ranges around 50yds, I wlll be more than happy to reset the parallax on our 2-7x32 for 50yds (no extra cost) and I can have it out the next day.

Just give me a call.

MO
Rich

Offline Curly

• Avid Poster
Scope Parallax
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 12:28:23 PM »
Thank you Rich for the offer to reset the parallax.  I went to your site, and was impressed with the scope, and the review from the shotgun magazine.    The scope will be going on a high gloss blued Cooper Custom Classic.   I am looking to stay with a matching high gloss scope.    Thanks again for your offer.   I may be interested in the fall when I hope to put a scope on a cantilever barrel for a BPS.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
Parallax
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 05:09:58 AM »
Curly, May want to get hold of PreimerReticles.com they handle all leupold products plus do alot of custom work on leupold scopes and may have one in stock that may work for you.  I would recommend 25yds parallax setting and they do a dot change smaller than leupold target dot for the 22 rim guys.  I had to push another site but may want to try Benchrest .com they have a forum on 22 rimfire and those guys will be glad to help you out.  Well good luck.