Author Topic: Hunting Small Game With C&B  (Read 902 times)

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hunting Small Game With C&B
« on: February 15, 2003, 02:49:27 AM »
I like to hunt small game with muzzleloaders.  I often carry a long rifle in .36 for squirrel and rabbit, but when doves and quail are available, I haul out the Pedersoli double 12.  Now, on these occasions when a long rifle is just too long, a C&B revolver really fits the bill.  Case in point.

I was sitting on a log (hunters do a lot of this) when a nice fat fox squirrel decided I was nothing to worry about, but by the time I saw him, he was only about 10 feet away.  My long rifle was across my lap, but my .44 Army was close to hand.  Scratch Mister Fox Squirrel!  He wasn't the last!

Had a bunny burst out of it's cover but stop immediately.  It was a dumb thing for Mister Br'er Rabbit to do, but at the same time, he was much closer than I'd like to have to use the 12ga.  .44 Army to the rescue!  

Sitting in the dove blind I noted a fox making its way closer to my position.  Now this was public land and I had the feeling some previous hunters had neglected to retrieve all their birds...hence the scavenger was coming around to see if their were any tender morsels.  He kept getting closer and closer and closer until I was sure he was going to join me in the blind and wait for the next flight!  .36 Navy with 20 grains of Pyro and an oxyoke wonder wad put him to flight!  He made it a full 30 yards before starting to nip at the exit hole and he laid down and promptly expired!  A friend made a nice little rug out of him.  

Farmer friend had a rather large and fat woodchuck that sunned himself on the slope just off his farm road.  Coyotes had made him smart.  He'd have been easy with a rifle, or even my .44 Mag Ruger, but I had this new "58" Remington Target model.  I laid there in the late afternoon for two hours until he showed up.  One shot!  Just over his head!  Looks like he's still smarter!   :shock:

I'll Be Back!

Dan C