Author Topic: If you want to delete my posts......  (Read 1108 times)

Offline bwana

• Trade Count: (0)
If you want to delete my posts......
« on: April 25, 2005, 01:51:22 PM »
have the courtesy to explain why.

I thought it was an interesting thing I wanted to share.  Apparently not.  At least not to the "on-topic" police.

Call me sour grapes, but I wasn't trying to sell life insurance or get free legal advise or discuss  politics.  Just a relavant thing of interest to fans of this kind of gun.

As to having posted a similar post in another forum, I thought they'd find it cool too.  The posts were not the same.

Some radical spouting junk or a nimrod selling insurance should be deleted, but when you start making judgement calls about content on an innocent, friendly post you cross the line.  There is a difference.

I suppose I will get the speach about how this is your forum and your rules and your judgements are the only ones that matter.... blah...blah...blah

I really wanted to know what the group thought of the gun.  Instead I learned what one person thought about my post.

Sad.

I guess you'll delete this one too.  Any good dictator would. The very worst kind would terminate my account too.

Its hard to feel welcome when your posts get deleted.  How would YOU respond?  How would you choose for ME to respond?  When I'm wrong I admit I'm wrong.  I'm not about this one.  Its petty at best.

bwana
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 02:02:27 PM »
What is this about?....<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:09:17 PM »
Dunno who did it, but I did see the post, wasn't interested in it, and it was off topic, but I don't know why it was deleted instead of just moved. :?
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
bwana
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 02:40:39 PM »
GB posted another warning to him how to use his Earthlink.  I guess Earthlink users have certain rules on logging on and such.  I did remember seeing a previous warning to bwana from GB once before.

I don't think it was the content of the post that was so much the problem.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 02:50:05 PM »
Well, he sounded like he was upset but we all need to follow rules and if you get caught doing something wrong then live with the consiquences :(

Offline bwana

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 02:55:10 PM »
Never had a warning of any kind.  I don't recall GB having responded to any of my posts.  Never had  much more than just general info/questions in any of my posts.

Partly why I can't understand getting deleted.  Never been a rabble rouser of any sort.  Just plain old guy dinking around the internet.

Thanks for framing your unfounded speculation like a piece of actual information though.  That helps.

bwana

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 02:55:10 PM »
Oh!! If this was the "Earthlink" poster I did see several notifications and warnings given by GB about Earthlink posters following some certain protocols for posting here. If this is the case I thought GB went out of his way with several requests and warnings to make his posts in the correct manner for his provider (Earthlink). If this was not that poster I am still in the dark as to what is happening here....<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline bwana

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 02:58:05 PM »
Somebody please explain what difference using Earthlink makes.  

Never heard about this one.  Is GB assuming I am somebody else because I used Earthlink?

bwana

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 03:04:05 PM »
I am not sure or not if bwana was the Earthlink user that was warned repeadedly by GB for improperly logging in. How about it bwana, do you use Earthlink? I think there is something special Earthlink users have to do but I am not sure what it is. I am sure if you ask GB or Matt they will advise you. I believe it has something to do with a proper and verifiable e-mail address but I could be wrong....<><.... :grin:

Look what I just found at the top of the page!!! It has been there for a long time...

"Please register and log in ONLY on the Forums Index Page. Not the Home Page. Earthlink Users must see note in Help and Announcements Section prior to registration..

Thanks
GB"

Offline bwana

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 03:05:12 PM »
Who was the "Earthlink" poster?  And what did he do?

I am guessing this is a case of mistaken identity.

Someone please explain.  If I got rudely deleted because of someone else who DESERVED to get rudely deleted.  No prob.  My bad.  Please forgive me.

This came out of the blue.

bwana

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 03:08:03 PM »
bwana, do you use Earthlink as your ISP? If so, see the above post or the top of the page for info. If not what kind of post was deleted?....<><.... :grin:

Offline bwana

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 03:09:14 PM »
I use earthlink at home and another local provider at work.  I've had the same yahoo e-mail acct since about 1995.  And have not been warned repeatedly about anything except leaving the toilet seat up sinve I was about 10.

IF there was a bad guy from Earthlink it  wasn't me.

bwana

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 03:16:43 PM »
Hey bwana I don't want to poke you in the eye or anything but I saw the warning at the bottom of at least one of your post. If you use earthlink and don't turn off your spam blockers GB gets junk mail and returned Email messages ( I think) I hope this is all it is because I've never seen anything wrong with your post. Just my2cents thou  IMHO. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline bwana

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 03:19:46 PM »
I've been registered since January.  I don't think that is the proplem.

bwana

Offline bwana

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 03:26:24 PM »
Well, I delete plenty of e-mails too.  GB needs a better system or somethin'.

Sorry about having to use the delete key, but I'll just go away if my welcome is dependent on having to wade through piles of e-mails so GB doesn't have to.  Not much of a fair trade since running the site ain't my business or interest.

If THAT is what this is about I can fix the problem.

bwana

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 04:11:45 PM »
bwana, instead of all this guessing and speculating why not drop GB a pm or e-mail asking him to clarify the situation.

If it does have something to do with Earthlinks spam and pop-up blocking software I know most fire-walls alow you to deactivate the pop-up and spam blocker for a specified web address.  I had to do this with mine in order for my system to mesh properly with GB's web site.  I assure you you will not receive spam or pop-ups from GB's site, he hates the crap as much as we do.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Re: If you want to delete my posts......
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 07:43:07 PM »
Quote from: bwana
have the courtesy to explain why.

I thought it was an interesting thing I wanted to share.  Apparently not.  At least not to the "on-topic" police.

Call me sour grapes, but I wasn't trying to sell life insurance or get free legal advise or discuss  politics.  Just a relavant thing of interest to fans of this kind of gun.

As to having posted a similar post in another forum, I thought they'd find it cool too.  The posts were not the same.

Some radical spouting junk or a nimrod selling insurance should be deleted, but when you start making judgement calls about content on an innocent, friendly post you cross the line.  There is a difference.

I suppose I will get the speach about how this is your forum and your rules and your judgements are the only ones that matter.... blah...blah...blah

I really wanted to know what the group thought of the gun.  Instead I learned what one person thought about my post.

Sad.

I guess you'll delete this one too.  Any good dictator would. The very worst kind would terminate my account too.

Its hard to feel welcome when your posts get deleted.  How would YOU respond?  How would you choose for ME to respond?  When I'm wrong I admit I'm wrong.  I'm not about this one.  Its petty at best.

bwana

First off... I moved your post...not GBO or anyone else...so...if you want to bust my chops for doing what I'm supposed to do...have at it...

Second...I'm doing my best to keep things fair for everyone...and when a topic on this forum is in the wrong place...I'll move it...and generally PM the person as to where it went...for that...I'm truly sorry I didn't get a chance to do that...I was working on my computer here...till way early in the morning...almost 4am CST before I got it running properly...and if not for the help of Quickdtoo...I probably would still be at it...

Third...if you decide to make a double post in another forum...the only  one where it really should have been...I'll move the one on this forum to a place where the modertators have been instructed by Management...for their review...we don't arbitrarily delete anyones post without approval...we have a set of rules to follow and we follow them...

Fourth.. YOU don't make any rules here...nor do I...we all follow them...and what you think should or shouldn't be relevant and open to discussion on any forum...isn't up to us to decide...it's up to management...and if there is a appropiate forum... for a off topic post...  that gets posted on this forum...in all fairness to everyone else here...it gets moved there...like it or not...

Fifth...I am not anytype of dictator...I follow the rules as best I can.and trying my best to fair all the way around. to everyone...so... you really need  to chill out about this......if not...please feel free to take it up with Greybeard...and by the way...there is nothing  stopping you from posting  a link here on this forum... to  any of your other post.. on any other forum here at GBO's.....it is perfectly acceptable...and since you already had posted it on the TC forum...it would have been just as easy to do...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 03:26:56 AM »
AH HA!!...The definitive answer, and a sensible and thoughtful one also.  Thanks Mac....<><.... :grin:

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 03:48:40 AM »
Sorry about having to use the delete key, but I'll just go away if my welcome is dependent on having to wade through piles of e-mails so GB doesn't have to. Not much of a fair trade since running the site ain't my business or interest.

Bwana, I really have no clue what in the world this is about. But let me make a bit of a comment first about Earthlink users.

Earthlink has fairly recently started making SPAM blocker a default thing apparently. Unless an e-mail address is placed in your "acceptable" list all mail is bounced from that e-mail address. The sender gets a SPAM from Earthlink asking them to click some link. Well I have no time to be bothered by this.

When you registered at GBO you agreed to our Terms of Use Statement. There is no way to register without agreeing to it. Those Terms state several things but the relavant ones here are that you will maintain a valid e-mail address on file where you can get necessary e-mail from the server. It states you MUST allow e-mail from gbomgmt @ graybeardoutdoors.com which is the default address we use when sending out e-mail. It's also the one I get all correspondence from members who need help. So I cannot block it. I must allow the messages to come in so I can help members when they need it.

Now I really don't care if you keep a valid e-mail address or not. BUT if you ASK for e-mail notice of either PMs or topics you're watching and I get junk e-mail because you either do not have a valid e-mail address on file or have a spam blocker stopping those e-mails then you are not gonna be a member here long. Just that simple.

If THAT is what this is about I can fix the problem.

Yes indeed you can. If you fit the above category and are an Earthlink user then just allow e-mail from gbomgmt @ graybeardoutdoors.com. The ONLY e-mail you'll ever get from it is the initial one welcoming you when you register and any you ASK for to notify you of new PMs or threads you are watching.

We do not give out member's e-mail address, there are in a protected file that spam bots cannot access and we do not send out junk mail to anyone.

Now to the moved thread. I have no clue what it was about. In general my policy is if there is a forum for a topic post it there. If you don't and there is a forum the moderators are to move it to the correct place. If there is no topic and it's just plain off topic I have to real problem with it as long as it's not in violation of some other GBO rule of decency. I don't expect any forum to be more off topic than on topic but a few are fine.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bwana

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 09:32:10 AM »
First, I don't use Earthlink's e-mail, but I do use the server.  My registered e-mail on GBO is a 11 year old yahoo account.  So, you are not receiving spam blocking from me.  Some forum members, I believe jumped to a conclusion on that one.  I review my posts and have not received a single admonishment, reminder or notice from GB or anyone else about spam, earthlink or anything of that nature, in spite of some who stated as though it was fact that I had.

Additionaly there was apparently a bad guy who got axed and I might have been mistaken for him by some.  Happens all the time in the internet world where nobody really knows who anybody really is.

Lastly, Mac deleted a post that was relevant to this forum. It had a link to a company that does rechambering on NEF's.  I also indicated in the post that I was initiating a conversation with them about further work on NEF's.  Mac booted the post because the post began about with a barrel they make for T/C's.  He found a similar post in the T/C forum and assumed it was a double and deleted it.

No big deal.  Silly details.  Moderators all over the internet run the gamut from not being involved in their boards to being nazis.

If you want a forum that doesn't allow deviation from the pet topic, so be it.  I thought the post was interesting. I posted it as a courtesy, a friendly gesture.  Look what it got me, I'm the bad guy now.  Perhaps we should get back to re-explaining the barrel exchange program a few more times or whatever.  This particular forum's members seemed to have a broader set of interests.

I have no interest in making the rules Mac, not even remotely what this is about.  You deleted a post you didn't read because you thought it was a double.  Small potatoes, who cares.  But being made out to be a jackal just for calling you on it does.  To me anyway.

Problem fixed.  No more off topic posts.  Guaranteed.  Big world.  I can find somewhere else for friendly conversation.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 09:47:07 AM »
Bwana,

Mac apologized for not pm'ing you an explanation for the reason for the delete, if that one detail had happened, you probably wouldn't be so upset by this....FWIW. I think that if you had started the thread off with a statement that pertained to the Handis, it would have been well accepted, but the reference to Handis was buried in the middle of the text. Sorry you got your feathers ruffled, but stuff happens....... Nuff said.... :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 07:42:00 PM »
bawana:

I have no interest in making the rules Mac, not even remotely what this is about. You deleted a post you didn't read because you thought it was a double. Small potatoes, who cares. But being made out to be a jackal just for calling you on it does. To me anyway.

First let me say...I haven't alluded to anything other than the facts I presented...and posted...and to all the other things said by other members if you have that feeling I'm truly sorry...it was not my intent...but...flying off the handle isn't a good way to communicate either...

Second...I was having some really bad computer problems and was unable to PM you ...I elected to post openly in response to your complaint...and I already apologized for that once...

Third...Let me reiterate this again....I DID NOT DELETE YOUR THREAD...I moved it into a place for the MANAGEMENT to look at it... this is what we moderators do...the only types of  posts I will delete without doing that are true double post... one on top of the other...or one where I was asked to delete by the original poster...you cannot see this place unless you are a moderator or administrator...that's the way it is...I very seldom have had to do this...and only on a few occasions have I gone in and actually removed profanity in someone elses post...and I allways edit it in a way they know it was edited...I really don't like having to do either...and would much prefer everyone follow the rules...

Fourth...I went to your original thread...and re-read it...and since it DID have a minute content about Handi rifles in it...I elected to bring it back in it's place on  this forum... I will bump it up to the top so folks here can read it...

Fifth...the title of your thread alone sets off a flags for me...being off topic...and discussing things not pertaining to Handi rifles on this forum is grounds for it's removal from here...I've let a few things stand...because of references to our Handi rifles...but...if they are way off topic...I move them...I have done so in the past...and I will continue to do so in the future...I always see if they will fit in into one of the many other forums Greybeard has so kindly set up for us...and if they belong in it...that's where they go...if not...we have a forum for non-gun related topics...and everyone is free to use it...and if I do move them...I normally PM the person on it...unfortunately I couldn't that morning...

Sixth...you may have a love for TC firearms...a-lot of folks do...but they have their own forum...and if you want to discuss only  them...do so there...not here...  comparing the two...or what ever is alright...we all have discussed the merits of them when it comes to our Handi rifles...but just discussing them on their own merits and strictly about them...will get it moved

If you want a forum that doesn't allow deviation from the pet topic, so be it. I thought the post was interesting. I posted it as a courtesy, a friendly gesture. Look what it got me, I'm the bad guy now. Perhaps we should get back to re-explaining the barrel exchange program a few more times or whatever. This particular forum's members seemed to have a broader set of interests.

No...your not a bad guy...at least I don't think so...try being a bit more level headed...and not flying off on a tangent next time...a simple PM to me or to Greybeard would have more than sufficed.. to accomplish what you wanted...

I appreciate your posting the link to another place for rechambering our Handi's...and I am sorry the post got moved...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...