Author Topic: 243 ultra frustration  (Read 575 times)

Offline targetguy

• Trade Count: (0)
243 ultra frustration
« on: April 25, 2005, 08:55:47 PM »
I have a 243 ultra that I purchased for 1 reason, to shoot 55gr Nosler BT FAST.  So for the speed has not been a problem I am getting over 4000 through a chrono and am still 1 grain off max with 414.  the problem is that the brass will not eject.  I tried polishing the chamber, however I may need to do more of this.  these were new brass, full length resized in forester dies.  The action does feel a little stiff when I open it after shooting, but not that bad, however the primers are not even flat.  Is there something else I can do to fix this?  This rifle has shown some potental at the bench and has been fun to shoot so far.  On the other hand, if it wont do what I want I may have to send it down the road in order to get something that works.  I have also shot some 70gr tnts that all ejected, however I want to shoot the 55's

Thanks

Offline Trapper-Jack

• Avid Poster
243 ultra frustration
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 01:43:10 AM »
Check the length of your brass.  I had problems with my .243 and the brass sticking until I began trimming the brass back to spec.
Thanks,
Trapper Jack

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
243 ultra frustration
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 04:28:24 AM »
I suggest a step down in load.  Perhaps you are seeing a pressure sign for that particular gun, regardless of book load level.  The fact that you have one load configuation that ejects is promising for now.

Now for a theory

Im starting to think that the 243 is tricky for the handi arrangement.  It is very necked down, leaving a lot of "annular wetted area" which is the component of forward thrust exposed to the neck region of the case.  This component of thrust added to the component exposed to the bullet is close to the rearward thrust on the base of the case.  I think this causes a lot of case stretching.  But, in the end, who knows, do what it takes to get the darn thing working to your satisfaction.  Good luck.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
243 ultra frustration
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 05:48:37 AM »
I think trapper zach is on the right track.  Check your brass, not only at total length but shoulder length as well.  Make sure your dies are setting the shoulder back far enough.

Measure the cases after sizing and compared to fired case, using the load you mentioned.

The difficulty in opening is the clue here.

If that doesn't do it completely, you might want a chamber cast made, just to see if you have a tight chamber or not.  I've had some guns that needed the neck shorter than factoer specs or it would not chamber correctly, and the 243 WILL stretch it's cases.

You didn't mention, but how does it do accuracy wise with that load?  Have you used it on varmints yet?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
243 ultra frustration
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 07:19:41 AM »
My 243 ultra had sticking problems too and handirifle hit the nail on the head (shoulder actually :) ).  Some of my brass took two hits to get them fully into the die. I fixed it in two ways My barrel to breech face gap was too wide .006"  I used a shim on the pivot lug to snug it down to around .002, this minimized stretching. And now I check every sized case to make sure it is not sticking out at all.  I went through and culled my brass (which was of suspect quality to begin with) using that rule of thumb and the stuck cases went away.

Go through your sized brass find one that sticks out i'll bet if you close the action on it it will stick, mine did. When you are sizing you brass you can't go by feel look and make sure you are bottoming out.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Ricci Price

243 ultra frustration
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 01:15:09 PM »
My thoughts excactly Aulrich,I was waiting on someone to say something about lock-up.I just got rebuilding my lug area( built up lug on barrel and remilled and fit to where there is no gap took along time to get it right)

Offline nofun1

• Avid Poster
243 ultra frustration
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 06:19:08 PM »
I had the same problem with a 243 Mine was the P.O.S. version. Its at NEF right now with instructions not to return it until all problems are fixed. But I digress. I had the same problem and I was using Redding dies I called them and they said instead of adjusting the die 1/4 turn from the ram adjust it 1/4 past the ram so it "over cams" I did this and it solved that problem I also have to be more meticulous with the 243 than other handis about cleaning and prepping the neck inside and out.