Author Topic: Kansas Non-typical  (Read 481 times)

Offline frankb_ks

• Trade Count: (0)
Kansas Non-typical
« on: April 26, 2005, 05:56:05 AM »
Hey y'all,

Thought I would post a photo of a deer I took this past season.  Harvest was on 12/12/05 in Johnson, Co. Kansas.

Thanks for looking,

Frank

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Kansas Non-typical
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 03:48:11 AM »
SWEET looking deer, man he would look nice on the wall. Congrats. to you on taking a HOSS Frank.

Offline frankb_ks

Kansas Non-typical
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 09:35:34 AM »
Thank you Marylandeer...

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Kansas Non-typical
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 03:09:31 PM »
They don't make many that big in Maryland. That bad boy would have put me way up in the Maryland record book. One day I will get out to Kansas or missouri or Illinois where the BIG BOYS roam. But for the time being these MD deer are better than nothing.  What caliber did you use, how far was the shot. What did he score?

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Kansas Non-typical
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 04:10:01 PM »
By the looks of the one antler it looks like it has a little caribou in it :lol: Congrats on a very nice buck.  Can you give any details on your rifle, caliber, shot distance and any other interesting tidbits?

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline gr8gift

Kansas Non-typical
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 04:10:33 PM »
Nice buck,

I hunt west of Olathe Kansas during December and usually in the Jan late season for does. Know I've seen some very nice bucks there. Seems they usually show up for me when I'm hunting doe only season. 2 years ago I was up in one of my tree stands and right at about 10 minutes after sunset was looking at 13 bucks that had come out of the timber. Of course it was the Jan doe season but it sure nice to have them there to watch until it got totally dark and I quit for the day.
There are no bad hunting days.

Offline frankb_ks

Kansas Non-typical
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 03:17:13 AM »
Hey Guys,

Thank you for admiring my deer.  As much as I would like to tell you about hunting him for years, etc. to be honest, like I suspect a good percentage of large deer harvests, it was largely a matter of serendipity.  I did spend a good deal of time in the bow stand this past fall, and there was a LARGE typical 10 pt (think hartford insurance commercial) I had seen the year before that I was hunting, but I had never seen this deer until he walked out in front of me.  It was remarkable that I was even hunting that day, because we had already put what deer we could use for the year in the freezer, but I had a friend who had not been able to fill his tag, so I was helping him.  It was the last day of the rifle season.  I was up in my bow stand thinking I could probably take a doe for him and this deer walked out at 25 yds and turned broadside to me.  I carry a 30-06 most of the time when hunting the rifle season, and the round blew the top half of his heart out and turned his lungs into whipped jello.  He made it about 30 yds before he folded up.  It took me two cigarettes to calm down enough to climb out of the tree... :-D  

He field dressed at 190#.  He had 18 pts an inch or longer remaining, three more that would have been had they not been broken off, and four or five stickers around the base that were 1/2 - 7/8".  I have not scored him.  I may get around to it if I find a volunteer nearby, but in the meantime he will make a nice addition to the racks over my fireplace.

That is the plain and simple truth of the matter.  I have taken larger deer in years past, but all were typical racks, so I was very pleased to add this deer to my antler collection.  Sorry it was not a more exciting story guys.

Thanks,

Frank