Author Topic: Are Ubertis worth that much more than Piettas?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Are Ubertis worth that much more than Piettas?
« on: April 26, 2005, 10:12:10 AM »
Howdy, folks.  I'm looking at picking up a pair of 1858 Remington replicas, and I've noticed that Ubertis are listed for a higher price than Piettas.  I've owned Uberti cartridge revolvers that I was very happy with, and I'm just wondering if Uberti does as good a job of giving you your money's worth with their cap and ball guns.  I don't mind if Piettas are a little more rough looking, or if a little tuning is needed, as long as they are equally reliable.  

So what's the verdict?  Are Ubertis worth the higher price in terms of reliability and durability, or will Piettas hold their own right next to them?

Many thanks.
NRA life member

Offline ribbonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Are Ubertis worth that much more than Piett
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 11:38:40 AM »
Have had FEWER problems with Uberti....not zero problems, just fewer and easier to cure that Pietta.  ONE Uberti got sent back the day I opened the box (see the post about Italian Bubbas), but that's an exceptional case (it looked better than fine, was timed right, and cycled/timed just like it was supose to).

Yes...the Uberti is worth the extra price in almost every case, but if enough cheaper, will often order POietta and deal with the little things that need adjusting...and send it back if anything big is wrong.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 05:02:35 PM »
What ribbonstone said.  So far every Uberti I've gotten has had a problem or two, though very minor.  I've gotten one Pietta that didn't have a problem and is one of my favorites, but every other one had a good many problems, up to having to mill a little off the hammer cut out in the frame to let the hammer fall.  I had one recently that would eat up cylinder locking notches no matter what I did.  That said it's easier to get the Ubertis working right and I like there putting the lettering on the underside of the barrel, and they seem a little more correct than the Pietta's.  Generaly have a little nicer finish too, but it depends on which one you get.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 04:40:52 AM »
The consensus lately has been that Pietta is putting out a much better product that what they had been. If you are talking about recent stock/ recent made Piettas, I would take a chance on them. Uberti has had the reputation of being the better ones though. They all need work no matter who built them.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 11:36:22 AM »
Not trying to totally trash-,oputh Pietta...they can get it right if they want to.  Woked with some of their high-end guns (Smith carbine and a Starr SA revolver) and their was nothing wrong out of the box with either one of them...but when Cabellas can seelk a Pietta .36Navy for under $150, it's evident that they were trying to undercut Uberti...which they do...but to get there, there seems to be a lack of quality control. Get a good one...then get a bad one...are inconsistant.

The rem. Pietta's haven't been as variable as the Colt clones...may be the basic simpliscity of the rem. design makes major foul up less likely, may be that the tooling got up-graded mroe recently...may be a lot of things; end result is that the last Pietta Rem. clones I've seen have been pretty good guns.

Uberti, while not perfect every time, are much more consistant.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 03:56:51 PM »
The Uberti Remingtons /Colts usually arn't That Much higher than the Piettas and I'll pay the difference every time just because of good luck with the Ubertis.

A few years ago the quality of both Uberti and Pietta sucked to a good exent.  The last couple of year of production by Uberti have been much better.  I haven't experienced a recent Pietta so don't know if the wide-spread reports that they are better would work for me or not.  I do know they did  a good job with the two LeMats I have had. The LeMats have been coming into the country since 1985 but Pietta has yet to make a deal with a domestic parts supplier.  VTI and Taylor have successfully filled two month back orders for me.

The problems I've had with recent Ubertis have been pretty much instantly correctable.  The barrel assembly locator pins (two at the bottom- front of the colt type frames) have a way of falling out and the loading lever retainers tend to walk out of the dovetail under the barrel. I've had to stake them in myself.    I have broken one hand spring in a new uberti 61 navy but fortunately, the hand assembly is readily available from Cimarron and VTI.  

I haven't shot my Remington Uberti extensively but have laid in a supplyof spare parts from the above two sources.  I've had no problem with this revolver.

All of the recent Uberti Replicas I've shot- a lot of them_ have been extremely accurate and have well timed actions with light trigger pulls.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline flamenblaster

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 02:46:54 AM »
i purchased my pietta 1860 about 3 months ago..have put almost 1200 shots through it so far..only problem was the factory nipples..changed to treso's and no misfires since..sight needed adjustment via jb weld and needle files to get it to hit poa with 35 gr. load..finish a lil rough..stamping on barrel a lil crude..but its now very accurate (for a basicly stock, low cost handgun) and it functions flawlessly as long as i clean it every 75 shots or so..just basic cleaning..it can shoot all day if i do that..next gun will be an 1858..probly pietta.. if you can afford better id get it..but pietta's (or at least the one i got) has been a pleasur to own..thats my 2 pennies :grin:
Good friends will come, and good friends will go...but jerks will just accumulate.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 04:59:56 PM »
MEC, you are watching this topic and have asked for e-mail notices of new posts. BUT you have an invalid e-mail address on file. Fix it ASAP or I will be forced to deactivate your account for TOS violation.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Third_Rail

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bigironbarrels.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 05:59:08 PM »
I'm 99% sure that his e-mail box is down, I tried to e-mail him about BPCRs a day or two ago and it bounced. Same e-mail on THR and other forums.

I doubt it's intentional.  :-)

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 01:02:32 PM »
The e-mail address is correct and receiving mail regularly.  Since it is an operational problem of about the same magnitude as the pictures I stopped posting because of excessive size,  I am going to stop visiting this site altogether.

Sorry to have bothered you
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Third_Rail

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bigironbarrels.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 02:47:03 PM »
:(  :(  :(

Sorry to see you go, mec.

Offline leverfan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 08:14:49 PM »
Well, I hate to see you go, mec.  I wish you'd stick around, because I'll be asking more questions about these cap and ball guns, and you sound like a good source of info.  Thanks for what you did post, and I'm sorry you've had trouble with this site.

Thanks to the other folks that have helped me by sharing their own experiences on this thread, and others.
NRA life member

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Pietta
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 05:05:33 PM »
Have had one for a couple years. only problem I have had is the trisser spring broke after about 30 shots. Purchased a few new ones, Havent fired it since . This is the spring that pushes on the drum lock as well as holding the trigger foward. also ordered a main spring and a few nipples.. Order thru VTI Gun parts.. Excelent company. Price was excelent and shiping was FFFFAST

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Mosby's Rangers 43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
    • VoyForums: Black Powder Message Board
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 09:24:23 PM »
Quote from: ribbonstone
Not trying to totally trash-,oputh Pietta...they can get it right if they want to.  Woked with some of their high-end guns (Smith carbine and a Starr SA revolver) and their was nothing wrong out of the box with either one of them...but when Cabellas can seelk a Pietta .36Navy for under $150, it's evident that they were trying to undercut Uberti...which they do...but to get there, there seems to be a lack of quality control. Get a good one...then get a bad one...are inconsistant.

The rem. Pietta's haven't been as variable as the Colt clones...may be the basic simpliscity of the rem. design makes major foul up less likely, may be that the tooling got up-graded mroe recently...may be a lot of things; end result is that the last Pietta Rem. clones I've seen have been pretty good guns.

I take it you have never ordered Pietta's from EMF & IAR. EMF has a Hartford sSeries with an Ipsection brand in the Grip.... A cut above some... a lil pricier. Exelant return policy.... But I must say I got one fine Pietta from Cabelas 1858 Rem .44 $159.99 All I did was clean up the Hammer bolt and Hand. It's sweet and I don't feel i would have gotten better anywhere. Now the 1873BP Colt/ Uberti I got new at a gunshop for $200 out the door, All I had to do was wipe off the oil, add bore butter
load and shoot ... the most accurate revolver I have ever fired.
Uberti, while not perfect every time, are much more consistant.
I Smoke Black Powder / Prefer an 1858 Remington
Voy.com/60048/
SASS# 19634

Offline leverfan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 09:55:49 PM »
Well, to update, I got a brace of Ubertis.  Tomorrow, I'm going to go try them out.  On initial inspection, they both seem to be very good revolvers.  The only problem I've noticed is that one of them is missing the locater pin that helps hold the grip panels in alignment.  A nail of the correct diameter, cut to length and rounded off on the ends, should serve as a replacement.  I like them a lot, but we'll see how they shoot.  The front sight blade could stand to be a little wider, but I know they were narrow on the originals.  

My ranger style gun belt is almost finished, so a pair of California style slim jim holsters is next on my to do list.  When I'm all done with the leather for these pistols, maybe I'll post some pictures.

Thanks to all the folks that gave me advice.
NRA life member

Offline tryit

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 08:22:30 AM »
Gents and Ladies, the Ubertis have a rifling depth of 0.011 where as the Piettas have a 0.004 to 0.005 rifling depth. I own several of both manufactures and have repaired many of them. I find the uberti's are a bit more well finished and the materials are hardened a bit better. I get folks coming into my place wanting me to get their C&P pistols to shoot like the Ubertis. I have to tell them to buy a Uberti first and then we will get them to shoot better. Tryit.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 03:24:09 PM »
I no longer have any Piettas. Got tired of the problems and overall lack of quality. I have three Ubertis, and have encountered no grief from them.
  I recently examined a friend's new Pietta. To call it junk would be an insult to all junk. Tryit's post says it all.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Full House

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 08:24:11 AM »
I have gotten good and bad from both...send them back and raise hell.
Full House