Author Topic: Need Nipple Shims  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Boge

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Nipple Shims
« on: February 15, 2003, 09:52:53 AM »
I need some nipple shims (washers) for an Uberti & Pietta.  Anyone have a source? I've scoured the local hardware stores and found nothing and am tired of using copper wire.

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
Need Nipple Shims
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 07:26:30 AM »
Boge

Huh??  I've got no shims under the nipples on any of mine.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Flint

shims
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 06:54:32 AM »
I made shims for my Ubertis and Colt 2nd/3rd gen revolvers when  I substituted Ruger nipples for the Italian ones.  (the Ruger nipples will not fit the Pietta) You'll need a hex wrench for the Ruger nipples.  I fortunately have a lathe available.  I used brass rod stock and made the shim washers, I believe .210 ID,, .310 OD and .015 thick.  This brings the Ruger nipples to the proper height for the Colt hammer.  If you are not substituting the nipples for slightly shorter ones as in my case, why are you shimming them?  The hammer should NOT touch the nipple unless it is capped, as this will damage the nipple and hammer. If there is excessive endshake (cylinder gap) then work to reduce that so the cylinder doesn't move too far forward. If you reply with your problem and reasons for the shims, perhaps we can help you further.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Boge

Need Nipple Shims
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 01:54:13 PM »
It's a common known fact that American replacement nipples for Piettas (6 x 75 mm) as well as the Uberti replacement nipples are too short.  The Americans make a better nipple, but it's too short!!!  I had a well known 'smith tell me that he has to shim all of his American nipples. If you look at an American nipple for a Pietta you can tell a marked difference in length. That's why.

Offline Flint

Need Nipple Shims
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 04:45:05 PM »
I've gotten nipples from Dixie Gun Works, and they were OK.  You might try Dixie, or Uncle Mike's and check for length.  I used Uncle Mikes replacement Ruger nipples, but make sure they are shimmed to barely touching because they are harder than the hammer.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life