Author Topic: A few 24 pounders  (Read 766 times)

Offline John N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
A few 24 pounders
« on: April 28, 2005, 09:45:01 AM »
Took these pics today during lunch:

If you donÂ’t recognize the place, hereÂ’s a clue:

Finally a WWI German 170 mm “Minnewerfer” parked over by City Hall.

Offline Third_Rail

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bigironbarrels.com/
A few 24 pounders
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 10:04:58 AM »
Great pictures, but I think you mean "Minenwerfer".

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
A few 24 pounders
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:23:59 AM »
I wonder if the mortar's plaque is incorrect or if they called it a minnewerfer back during the war. An internet search did find references to a minnewerfer in WWII, but even Google asked if I meant to type minenwerfer.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
A few 24 pounders
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 11:09:01 AM »
Baltimore?  What's the era of the ship and guns?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Third_Rail

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bigironbarrels.com/
A few 24 pounders
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 05:50:10 PM »
"Minnewerfer" is gibberish. "Minenwerfer" is a German word meaning "mine thrower" or so... a trench mortar.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
A few 24 pounders
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 01:31:51 AM »
Quote from: Third_Rail
"Minnewerfer" is gibberish. "Minenwerfer" is a German word meaning "mine thrower" or so... a trench mortar.

Good point.  In this day and age of confusers, it's a good idea to do a search with several spellings - because both they and we misspell words.

Google expects it and puts in seveal of the common misspellings and asks.  Ebay does not.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
A few 24 pounders
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 01:47:26 AM »
GGaskill,

The 24 pounders are on the USS Constellation docked in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. They also have a few garrison cannons set up on the pier.

One of these days I'm going to head over to Fort McHenry, less than 2 miles from the Inner Harbor,  and take some pictures of it's guns and fortifications. If I get some interesting shots, I'll post a couple here.

Offline GGaskill

A few 24 pounders
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 01:30:43 PM »
According to the http://www.constellation.org" target="_blank">USS Constellation website, the ship was built in 1854 as the last all sail propelled vessel of the US Navy.  Her original armament was as follows:

Main Battery (gun deck):  Sixteen 8-inch "shell guns" capable of firing the innovative "Paixhains" design exploding shell, and four 32-pound "long guns" firing solid shot.
Secondary battery:  Two 10-inch pivot guns on the spar deck, one forward and one aft.
Boat howitzer: One 12-pounder "boat howitzer".

The barrels are clearly more modern than the Royal Navy pattern used on the USS Constitution but I wonder if they are real (or models/replicas of a real pattern) or someone's opinion of what cannon should look like.  They sure don't look like 8" bores.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
A few 24 pounders
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 03:15:01 PM »
The last chronological reference to the ship's armament at the USS Constellation web site is:

Constellation underwent conversion to a Practice Ship in 1869. On May 25, 1871 she was again in commission at Annapolis, and took midshipmen on their summer training cruises for the next twenty-two years. In 1871-1872, she received further modification so she could also be used for gunnery instruction with a main battery of eight 9-inch Dahlgren guns, plus one 100-pound Parrott Rifle and one 11-inch Dahlgren

I'll check it out and see what's currently onboard.