Author Topic: Redhawk barrel turning  (Read 857 times)

Offline Jim n Iowa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Redhawk barrel turning
« on: April 28, 2005, 01:41:21 PM »
I already have a SBH in the Ruger plant to correct the barrel that has turned in it. Now I am ready to return a Redhawk as the barrel has started to turn on it.
The jury seems to be out on this issue. I have never heard of it, while many think while not a common problem its not unheard of.
Could the barrels be to tight? I had no problems with jhp factory loads, but I am wondering about some Laser hard cast @.431 if that was a problem at appr. 1300 fps. Recoil seem the same or less than the factory 240 I was shooting. I haven't put over 500 rds thru either gun.
So who pins barrels? I would have to win a lottery to buy a FA, and I like the Redhawk, or give up cast bullets.
Jim

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Redhawk barrel turning
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 01:57:33 PM »
So who pins barrels? I would have to win a lottery to buy a FA, and I like the Redhawk, or give up cast bullets.

$#!*can (sell) both the redhawk and the blackhawk, save the money you would spend on pinning the barrels. take the money from both guns and start shopping for a used f.a.  i sold two guns and used the money to buy mine.  i picked mine up cheap, and you will be able to also.  i will help keep and eye open for a good buy on one, as will some others i am sure.

why screw around wasting more money on guns that arent right?  get them fixed and send them down the road.  have you ever heard anyone here bellyache that they regret getting their f.a.?   no.  and you will be in for a treat to see how good a shot you really are.   i never realized how much difference a quality gun  makes.    

from a guy that has been there.  that is my advise.

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Redhawk barrel turning
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 02:35:02 PM »
Well, this makes me nervous. I was thinking of buying a new SB soon. Have the quality gone down in them recently? I did handle a new one, and thought the stocks were cheaper at least than the old ones. Jack.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Redhawk barrel turning
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 03:38:41 PM »
All I can tell ya is a LOT of folks have been reporting the barrels turning on their Ruger revolvers lately and not all the guns are new but then some are. That has to mean the problem is not a new one but still hasn't been fixed either. I'm thinking Ruger needs to start pinning their barrels.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Redhawk barrel turning
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 01:40:16 PM »
Thank you. I agree, if Pinning stops the problem, then I beleive they should do that. Jack.

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Redhawk barrel turning
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 04:57:11 PM »
Got to love the lifetime warranty from Davidson's....  Glad my local gun shop got the Redhawk through them.

Doug

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Redhawk barrel turning
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 05:37:07 PM »
Ruger returned  my SBH with a 5 days turn around time in plant repaired, looks good. Now I will send in my RH that has started to turn. I have another RH that is newer but has had more rds through it and is still on the money. Wish I would have bet the trifecta at the derby, as my FA would be on its way to me.
Jim

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Barrel Turning
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 01:51:49 AM »
Cmon guys, it's easy.  As the barrel turns, you just shift your grip until the gun is upside down.  Then you stand on your head.  What a bunch of whiners.

Dan C

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Redhawk barrel turning
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 06:11:58 PM »
Dan C
Great idea (these boards always have experienced shooters to chime in). So which way do we adjust, left or right? You must have some first hand knowledge on turning barrels, right?
Jim

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Turning Barrels
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 02:02:15 AM »
Experience with Rugers?  Yup...tons.  Experience with barrels turning?  Nope...none.  Never had it happen with a Ruger or any other gun.  But, if it does, I'd have to send it back to Ruger and tell them to fix their gun so send me a check.  My most recent Ruger is a 5.5" Bisley Stainless in .45 Colt and so far, the barrel has stayed put.  

I hope you realize, I was teasing.  If not, you may actually get some benefit from standing on your head. :grin:

Dan C

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Redhawk barrel turning
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 02:01:19 PM »
Dan
Its really hard to stand on your head and type. And like my responce its a waste of this thread. You must know the basics, which are, my spouse will whine, my kids will cry, and I will bitch. I am glad you have not hads the twist problem. Back to the board.
Jim

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
How old are your guns?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 01:53:11 AM »
Were they both made within a certain time frame?  Have you heard about the Sako barrel defect?  I'm wondering if Ruger had a problem with a certain number of frames or barrels?  What surprises me is the fact that the barrels can turn beyond the shoulder that's milled in them.  I thought gun makers rifled their weapons so that the torque created with the shot worked with the barrel threads to keep them snug.  Are you shooting horse loads?  Is this a documented problem with Rugers?

Dan C

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
Redhawk barrel turning
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 12:35:19 PM »
there is a lot of posts here concerning this. i dont have the time to post links for them right now.  the first one is titled "two rugers in two days, you aint gonna believe".   maybe after the kids go to bed i can find them for you.   in short...
    i have had three different new modelsbh's do it, all using mid range loads and 310 grain bullets.  one gun went 2 days before season,  the "spare" broke the exact same way the very next day.  one top of that, only one person at ruger seemed to give a rat's  tail.  everyone else there didnt even want to talk with me.   and i can be really smooth.   they did fix them,  but one came back all scratched to hell.  
    most of my rugers are gone,  i have one more to get rid of.   i replaced the rugers with a f.a. 83.  no complaints with that one.  :)  
   ruger cost themselves three sales for this year alone.  i will not buy another ruger.  and i am taking the liberty to tell everyone who will listen exactly what happened.   it must be working, because no one has been interested in the last sbh i have been trying to sell.   :)
   since i originally posted about the problem, there have been at least eleven folks contact me through the board or p.m. saying they have had the same problem.   this post is the first i have seen regarding a model other than the sbh.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Redhawk barrel turning
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 07:44:14 AM »
My SBH was purchased in late in 98. I found out that my eyes could not adjust to rear  to front to target, so I had a red dot mounted on it. I fired a couple hundred rds of factory 240 gr thru it. I got tired of the B-square mount as it was starting to loosen up(there is no real good mount for a SBH). I started shooting iron sights and every thing went low and way left. Before I was shooting a good group for hunting. I had started shooting 240 laser swc about this same time.
My RH 5.5" is starting to turn is 5 yrs newer and starting to turn. I noticed it after 5 rds of the laser lead went thru it (loaded at approx 1250 fps). I have a RH 7.5" thats had a lot more rounds through it than both guns together including cast and it is doing fine, over a year old. So figure. I like the guns especially the RH's. I will let the board know how I come out on the RH fix.
Jim

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Simple Solution
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 01:50:11 AM »
The solution is to buy so many guns that you don't have time to shoot one or two exclusively!  

Or, you could pin the barrels!

Dan C