Author Topic: help geting started  (Read 413 times)

Offline lisa1lacy2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
help geting started
« on: April 30, 2005, 06:42:47 AM »
I am going to start casting my own been thinking about this for some time but just bought my last cast bullet just need some info on what I need to get started I am going to cast for my revolvers manly might do some rifle but haven't thought about it much any help  :D
Brian Milner

:blaster:
my idea of gun control is a firm grip.

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
help geting started
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 07:53:12 AM »
need some info on what I need to get started

You can get all fanch schmancy or you can start out simple.  I recommend start out simple because like myself you might find out that you don't need as much equipment as you thought.

Here's the basics;  a heat source.  I use a garage sale bought Coleman stove that is never used for any other purpose.  A cast metal melting pot.  A ladle.  A mold.  A couple of old towels to quadruple fold to drop your bullets onto.  A piece of 1" hardwood dowell to strike your sprue plate.  An old muffin tin for an ingot mold.

I don't have a lead theremometer but am going to add one.

I have an electric bottom pour pot but rarely use it anymore.  Hand  dipping with your ladle is better too if using wheel weights.  Wheel weights are NOT an alloy (we call it that all the time but it's not).  Wheel weights are a mixture and the mixture will separate if not occasionally agitated and the ladle does that for you.

Offline Woodbutcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Starting
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 11:08:05 AM »
Gentlemen:
 Given that I only have 50 cartridge cases for my 38-55, how many bullets do I need to cast at one time, really. I've got work to do  developng a load for this rifle anyway. So advice about keeping it simple is the direction for me. The old timers, way back when, worked over a campfire, and killed big critters, and fed and protected themselves and their families with the results. With all we have now, poking a hole in paper with a homemade lead pill just doesn't compare! Besides, you guys make it all sound so easy.    Woodbutcher

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
help geting started
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 01:59:30 PM »
Id recomend you look into a lyman expert kit. Its got about everything you will need for around $120 I started with one and made many bullets with it.
blue lives matter

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
help geting started
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 05:39:10 PM »
i did the same and have no complaints.  

the first thing i suggest you do is start getting some lead together.  check with tire stores and automotive repair shops in your area.  ask for used wheel weights.   one of two things is going to happen: either they will hook you up or someone else has "lead rights".  if the latter,  try, try again.  every shop i have stopped at has yeilded at least a 5 gallon pail.  on the other hand, my buddy has been rejected at every attempt.   tip  carry some 5 gallon pails with you, as most shops are very reluctant to part with their pails.  it does wonders to have a pail that you can leave for a replacement.   right now i almost have too much lead.  i have six 5 gallon pails in my garage now, not counting the pails i took over to my buddies house.   damn the bad luck.   :)