Author Topic: Range Report .308 Survivor Stuck Cases  (Read 434 times)

Offline varmitbob

• Trade Count: (0)
Range Report .308 Survivor Stuck Cases
« on: April 30, 2005, 01:15:57 PM »
I got my dies, brass, and bullets in and did several variations of handloads.   :lol: Every single shell ejected without an issue.  I did loads for 130gr and 150gr with Winchester Brass.
  The military rounds I got from my brother-in-law was clearly the issue of sticking.  I measure the diameter of the base of the cartridge on the winchester and military brass with a set of calipers, and the military brass was 0.010 bigger than the winchester brass.  This clearly contributed to the sticking condition.
  I am going to full length size the military brass, and load up a few rounds.  Maybe the load and original size of the brass caused the sticking.  I will report back.  It would be nice to able to use the expended brass to reload.  
  The difference was unbelievable.  I would suggest that anyone who has a stuck case measure the diameter of the base of the rounds that are sticking.

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 02:55:37 PM »
The pressures in those shells may also be high enough to cause them to stick, i had the same problem with my 223 and surplus ammo . At the time i had only found one brand made in Korea that didn't stick. NEF states in there manual not to use them for that exact reason.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 06:08:35 PM »
Military brass is usually thicker so has less powder capacity so watch for pressure signs if you reload them. It would be a good idea to seperate them from your standard cases and as said before some military rounds are loaded hotter to reliably cycle the actions on semi-auto battle rifles.
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 10:01:20 AM »
My Rossi bull barrel shoots and ejects military rounds okay.

Offline varmitbob

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 03:37:22 PM »
I tried to run the fired military brass through my reloading dies, and they would not even fit in the dies.  The winchester brass goes through them like butter.
  Military brass is typically thicker and requires a 10% reduction in powder charges because the same charge would create a compressed condition due to the decreased capacity inside the casing thus creating the unsafe pressures you mentioned.
  .308 Brass is cheap, I'll stick with the Winchester Brass.