Author Topic: Just bought my 2nd Handi rifle ....  (Read 844 times)

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
Just bought my 2nd Handi rifle ....
« on: May 01, 2005, 11:27:16 AM »
A guy traded a .223 SB2 Handi in yesterday at the local gunshop. As I went inside the shop this afternoon taking a break from my range work out back, I noticed this rifle because the colored laminate was different than any Handi I have seen before. I am a rookie Handi-holic so I do not have much knowledge about these rifles yet. The stock on this rifle is yellow and black. At first I almost thought it was ugly but after picking it up for about the 5th time, it looked pretty darn good. I like bull barrels and this rifle doesn't have one but I bought it anyway.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I bought in the way of what year it was made or if it is even some kind of special run on this colored lamination? The gunshop owner told me he had never seen one this color before. The rifle is in near 100% condition in my opinion. Is the barrel twist on this .223 Handi 1:12 too?
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 11:39:56 AM »
BJM, congrats!!! What's the serial number prefix? All H&R .223s have the 1 in 12" twist rate. Got a pic you can post or send to me and I'll post it for ya?? Sounds sorta like cinnamon laminate but H&R has done several different stock over the years.....Maybe that's the blonde laminate???
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 12:08:47 PM »
The serial number is NP 40xxxx quickdtoo. I just took a picture of it with my cell phone and I will try to email you the picture through my cell phone as it is my only camera.

Again, thank you for the quick response. I will look up your email address if you have it listed and send asap.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 12:15:56 PM »
BJM, The "P" makes it a 1999 model, you can click my email button at the bottom of my posts....on second thought, I'll PM you my address.. :oops:

Tim

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 12:28:21 PM »
That's the BumbleBee laminate. Made for a short time. I thought it was made prior to 1999. Might of originally been on another rifle. If you get tired of looking at it let me know. I'll make you a good offer!!
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 12:30:53 PM »
I just attempted to send you the pic of my new Handi through my cell phone. Please let me know if you receive it.

Thanks for your help as I am pretty excited about my second Handi and already thinking about an Ultra now along with a B&C.
5 Rules for Happiness

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 12:31:55 PM »
Here tis....Nice!!!! Sounds like you have a full blown case of Handi-itus!!! :-D

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 12:44:48 PM »
Ah yes, I liked that. This is my second. After a few more months it will be one of the guns of mine. Kinda like Lays potato chips, can't eat just one. :lol: I love my .223 and it's about time for me to get it to the range again. Along with my 45-70 to keep things in perspective. :D  :eek:
                                                                tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 12:56:38 PM »
No such thing as an ugly Handi. They're all beautiful :)
That looks nice too. Enjoy it.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 12:57:57 PM »
Thanks again quick. You have been very helpful to me since I got bit by the Handi bug about 5 weeks ago. Sorry the pic was a little jittery but I think everyone can kinda see what I was trying to describe. This rifle has a very, very small dent in the forearm that is in the black part so it is very hard to see. Other than that, it doesn't look like it has been used at all. I am getting ready to give it a Handi bath after I record my day's info at the range.

I only took my .223 Savage 10 FP today as 2 of my brothers went along to shoot their AR's. My oldest brother shot a 3 shot group with a new 55gr Vmax/Varget load of mine that measures .179" with my Savage. I had my Savage with me today but I was thinking about my Handi's between turns and how pleased I am with them. My first Handi has been a real pleasant surprise and my second Handi is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks again my friends.
5 Rules for Happiness

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 01:01:24 PM »
Thanks, always glad to encourage this afliction!!!!  :wink:

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 07:43:21 PM »
Sweeeeeet...great looking set of stocks there...let us know how it shoots.. :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 05:11:34 AM »
I have never seen a stock color like that. But I do like it. The uniquenes of it sells it.  Nice setup 8)

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 05:24:26 AM »
Black and gray laminate...cinammon,green.....PHHPT :noway:

I'm all in for the Bumble Bee laminate... :agree:

Very nice looking rifle.

I'm second on the list if you wish to sell those stocks... :D

Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Nixter

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 02:23:59 PM »
I appreciate all the replies guys. It looked so unique, I just couldn't walk away from it and it sounds like I made a good decision. So this rifle was made in 1998 or thereabouts? It sure looks good for being seven or eight years old.

Could someone tell me what this rifle would be worth because of the bumblebee stock? It isn't for sale ... sorry.
5 Rules for Happiness

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 05:46:45 PM »
Around here in Montana used basic Handis go for 150.00 to 175.00. (And this is when a new basic Handi can be bought at Wal-Mart for 187.00, and 219.00 at Sportsman Warehouse.) If they are Ultra or another model that carry the laminated ply stocks, they are priced about 50.00 more. I use the term laminated ply to differentiate the current laminated plank stocks that are being shipped on the Basic Handis from the other colored laminated stocks, which are really dyed ply wood. That's why they can be given such vivid colors. So I have no idea what it is worth in New York or California, but here you would get 200.00 to 225.00. There has not been enough interest to really jack the value (book wise) on the old dyed laminated stocks. But, like with anything, an items valve is based on what a buyer is willing to pay. (Kind of like fast cars.) If you want to see BRIGHT, wait til you see the RED/WHITE/BLUE stocks!! I, personaly, would pay 200.00 for a set of those.
Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 06:44:17 PM »
It's worth a-lot more than you think...there are always collectors of unique Handi's...and would like to have them in their collections...I'd say...you could get as much as $300-up on E-Bay for it...if it was worded correctly...and you had some high resolution pictures of it...a little reasearch with NEF might be in order if you ever deceide to do that...the fewer they sold with those on it...the higher the value...and since wild colorations are coming back in vouge...who knows...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »
Mac,
I wasn't impling that they would not bring more to a collector. I even mentioned what a set of RED/WHITE/BLUE would be worth to ME. So obviously if you find the right person, they will go for a premium.

1) Like I stated "But like with anything, an items valve is based on what a buyer is willing to pay."

2) And, the Blue Book and other pricing guides that I have seen HAVE NOT reflected a higher valve for the rifles wearing the laminated stocks in question. If you know of one, please let me know.

3) And I stated what they would generally go for here in Montana.

I was not trying to belittle the value of those beautiful stocks.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007