Author Topic: New H&R questions  (Read 478 times)

Offline Bldr Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
New H&R questions
« on: May 05, 2005, 05:33:03 AM »
Hey guys I am new to this forum but have been reading it for a while and am very impressed with the info on this site.  Now to my question I just bought my first H&R a .243 Ultra Varmint and was wondering if there is a proper break in method for the barrel.  I have fired a few shots through it already because I got excited but cleaned the barrel really well afterwards.  I have also been reading about these compounds but am not sure how the work or if I need to use them on this gun.  I want this thing to be a accurate as possible and not be throughing shoots because I didn't do something that could helped on the front end.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
New H&R questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 05:43:35 AM »
Welcome to the group, Bob. Check the FAQs at the top of the forum, for good suggestions, including barrel break in. I've used the JB Bore past routine, and it has worked for me, especially on the smaller bores.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
New H&R questions
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 05:59:35 AM »
Welcome aboard Bldr Bob! :D  Wally is right on, the bore polishing will reduce the copper fouling build up when doing the break in and consequently you will achieve best accuracy sooner than it you did the tradional shoot x number of rounds, then clean and repeat. Although I have always used the polish method, some here have had to shoot as many as 150-200 round through the barrel before they got their best accuracy. You can use either a bore mop or a patch on a tight fitting jag to do the polishing with JB non-embedding bore compound, Fltiz, Maas or Simichrome metal polish, all will work fine, I've used all of them, just use what you can find easily. Also, while you're at it, you might want to polish the chamber, it will eliminate failure to eject as long as you make sure the chamber is clean and dry before you shoot. I use a bore mop wrapped with a patch, stuck on the tip section of a multi piece cleaning rod, chucked in a drill, takes about 2-3 minutes and you're done. Change the patch 2-3 times and add more polish.

Have at it and good shooting!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
New H&R questions
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 06:15:43 AM »
I prep all my Handi's before ever firing a shot...I start with a good foaming bore cleaner first(I use Shooters Choice)...and get rid of all of the residual factory junk...after that is where the fun begins...I use a few different cleaners to take it all the way down ...I use CR-10...Shooters Choice...and Flitz...in that order...and then flush good in between with Rem-oil...The Flitz...I'll make about 50 passes with...reapplying on the nop after 5 passes...and then flushing completely with Rem-oil...and patching till completely dry...I'll do this the nite before I going shooting...and I take all the other steps as well...polishing the bore is something I don't do a great deal of...or sometimes very lightly...if it looks rough...I'll shoot it before I polish it a-lot...just to see...I've been lucky doing it this way...and my rifles all seem to shoot pretty good...especially my latest 2 being the 30-06 Ultra Comp...and my 24" 243 Ultra varmint...http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=62494

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Bldr Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
New H&R questions
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 03:22:59 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  It looks like I will have to pick one of these methods that best works for me.  I will be going up to the cabin this weekend and will try to shoot some nice groups with it.  

I do see what you guys mean as far as these things being addicting, my next gun was going to be a 10/22 build up but now I am thinking about another Handi, maybe the new .500 S&W when it comes out.