Author Topic: States right to regulate hunting and fish  (Read 907 times)

Offline roper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
States right to regulate hunting and fish
« on: May 11, 2005, 10:13:39 PM »
See were the President signed into law the Enzi bill giving states the right to regulate hunting and fishing maybe put an end to the lawsuits.  Should also end the non resident that feels he should have the same rights as a resident to hunt on federal land and pay the same tag fee and have equal rights to the draw as a resident.  Here in Colorado we had in 2004 for deer over  101K tag issued 75k when to residents and 26K to non had 355,440 residents apply and 181,502 non residents apply and some of the reason for only 26K for non residents was because of drawing with and elk unit so didn't want a 2nd choice in another unit or hunt date.  There was appr 47K deer taken of those 33K were bucks.   We had appr 280,000 resident that couldn't hunt in there home state and appr 181,502 non resident that could hunt in there home state.  I don't want to fuel a debate but just pass along some information.

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 12:29:02 AM »
Carefull, Carefull, Roper
These types of topics bring out our "experts" who will come out foaming at the mouth rabid. How DARE residents expect to have precedence over out of staters! Just because we live in the state in question, put up with the heat or cold, poor local wages. I have read here that the out of staters are actually paying for our Game and Fish dept.s and us locals are some kind of parasites. Some of us just want to hunt in the state that we reside in and cant afford to hunt in every western state every year.

Elwood P Dowd
Vae Victis

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 12:03:09 PM »
Elwood, I know what you mean I post on another site and have had people from this site post there and have called me every name over my comments of the rights of a resident to hunt in his or her home state.  Since there is a certain amount of controls here those posters wouldn't dare start that here which I am thankful for.  I did express my concern to Greybeard over that poster.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 12:47:46 PM »
I had a great elk hunt in colorado last fall (I'm from Kansas).  It seemed that most of the state was excited to see me, my party, and the money and jobs we support.  Locals aren't likely to pay $3500-$5000 for a guided hunt.  They don't pay $500 for tags.  Those dollars add up.  They make up jobs.  

I'm not saying out of state residents should have unlimited rights, I'm just saying that some moderation and reason should be included here.  I'm not going to call anyone names but I do think someone should calculate the income us out-of-staters brought to your economy if you're going to "just pass along some information."

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 07:54:43 AM »
There is room for both.  Most guided hunts are not on land that local hunters ever hunt on anyway.  Its sorta like them fellers in Congress.  There be a far right and a far left, but most of the best people are in the middle.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Elwood

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 09:27:57 AM »
Dukkillr & Crow_feather
I appreciate the valid points that you both make, Its good to here counterpoints being presented in a calm and dignified manner.  
   When out hunting I often talk with out of staters and enjoy them. Hunters are a fraternity and mostly are "friends that I have never met". Lately I have formed a resentment against the non-resident hunters because of my state being sucessfully sued by non-resident guides who were unhappy that non residents were limited to 15% of bull elk tags. Some years I don't get to go deer hunting because the numbers of permits is exceeded by the number of hunters so I don't get drawn for a tag. My boys have been unsucessfull for two years in a row!!  There are plenty of non residents who are drawn, how would you feel? We live here.
   The frosting on my cake was the arrogant beating that Spyro Andes and redhawk1 did to Tom Krupinski. I haven't seen Tom post since then, I think that he left. Tom was a moderating influence and a source of knowledge for us. I never met Tom but I respected him. Their arrogant attitude is mostly what turned me off.

Elwood
Vae Victis

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 11:10:19 AM »
Quote from: roper
Elwood, I know what you mean I post on another site and have had people from this site post there and have called me every name over my comments of the rights of a resident to hunt in his or her home state.  Since there is a certain amount of controls here those posters wouldn't dare start that here which I am thankful for.  I did express my concern to Greybeard over that poster.

roper, it was me you had a concern about. You are correct that I can't tell you how I really feel with out getting a little hot under the collar. I could care less about the amount of tags issued to non-residents, I don't care how much non-residents are charged. But what got me so upset was the attitude toward the non-resident. If I don't like the price that is charged for non-residents, I don't go. If I don't like my chances and getting drawn and then raped with costs associated with maintaining preference points, I don't have to apply.  But when Residents attack non-resident because of our opinions, it gets me up set. You posted this knowing it would carry over to here. As you have seen, I have backed out of posting on that subject on the other site, for the simple fact that I just got tired of all the BS. I guess that is why you brought it up here.

I am sure you told Graybeard about what I said on the other site, and personally, what was said there does not pertain to this site. So keep it over there. "Baiting is not allowed here. "
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 01:07:13 PM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
Quote from: roper

roper, it was me you had a concern about. You are correct that I can't tell you how I really feel with out getting a little hot under the collar. I could care less about the amount of tags issued to non-residents, I don't care how much non-residents are charged. But what got me so upset was the attitude toward the non-resident. If I don't like the price that is charged for non-residents, I don't go. If I don't like my chances and getting drawn and then raped with costs associated with maintaining preference points, I don't have to apply.  But when Residents attack non-resident because of our opinions, it gets me up set. You posted this knowing it would carry over to here. As you have seen, I have backed out of posting on that subject on the other site, for the simple fact that I just got tired of all the BS. I guess that is why you brought it up here.

I am sure you told Graybeard about what I said on the other site, and personally, what was said there does not pertain to this site. So keep it over there. "Baiting is not allowed here. "

You both are right about "name calling" and "attacking" other posters will not be tolerated here.  So fellow lets keep is civil and friendly or not post at all.   :toast:   Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 03:14:33 PM »
I don't know what you all mean by "Baiting".  Please don't read more into my words.  I have been pretty straight forward with my comments here.  My comments were meant for Elwood as a general overview in his respone to my post.  I did not name names sites or anything.  
I did express some concern to Graybeard over some post on another site but he was very direct and as long as this site isn't mention he can do nothing.  That was good enough for me.   Maybe I should have posted graybeards responds to me.  I do stand by my comments that
those poster would not do that here because of the controls here.  I do like posting here because of them and that was meant as a compliment.  Lawdog and Redhawk1 if you feel that I shouldn't post here that is fine by me you can have Graybeard e-mail me and that will be the end of it.    Just so that everyone knows that I have been above board I have not only poster the name roper but also tom holland so that certain posters would know who I was.  Lawdog and Redhawk1 could of posted something to me at any time instead of using this way.  I've never hid who I was.  I am thinking  this post here just hit a sore spot with them.  Kind of hard to have two set of standards maybe juggling them is just too much.  Well to all if I get bumped from this site been nice posting here.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 03:23:07 PM »
Lawdog, no problem. I just wanted to make sure it did not come here. I will not post any further to this thread.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA