Author Topic: Seeking first handgun advice  (Read 969 times)

Offline screej

• Trade Count: (0)
Seeking first handgun advice
« on: May 12, 2005, 08:57:23 PM »
I just recently turned 21 and will be purchasing a handgun quite soon.  Im not sure which one though.  The 3 guns im interested in are the Glock 23 .40, HK usp .40, and the Springfield XD ported either.40 or .357.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-ported.shtml

I have held both the usp and the glock and they feel good in my hand, I just cant decide which one i really want.  Being a rookie to pistol shooting, I'd just like some advice or pro's and con's between these guns.  Thanks

screej

Offline screej

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 09:00:23 PM »
i meant glock 22

Offline shooter58

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 01:50:03 AM »
While I am not particularly a Glock fan (the grip angle is wrong for me), I can't deny that they are good guns.  My personal preference would be the Springfield XD in .40 cal.  I would stick with .40 cal only because of availability of ammo across the country.  Some smaller locations might not carry .357 sig. ammo and it would be just my luck to find one of those places when I needed ammo the worst.
Buy what you like, practice a lot, and enjoy it.

Offline Japle

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 02:03:09 AM »
No matter which one you pick, get a Daisy 717 air pistol too.  

It's difficult to learn correct trigger control and follow-through with a centerfire pistol.  The Daisy is cheap, accurate, has a pretty good trigger, adjustable sights and you can shoot it in your home.  

John
Cape Canaveral
John
Cape Canaveral

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 02:20:39 AM »
screej - Japle has some good advice.  In addition, if you are looking at 40 S&W caliber handguns you should realize that you can obtain 357 sig barrels for those pistols for the interchangability of calibers - no need to spend extar for an entirely new handgun when you can have the same through a barrel change.

Actually, if you get yourself a good quality 22 pistol and begin practicing with that, you might find what you prefer in a larger bore more easily.  Also, practicing with a lighter caliber handgun (22lr) can improve your skills significantly.  One of the funniest (or scariest) things you may ever want to see is a bunch of police recruits trying to practice with 40 caliber handguns on the range for the first (couple of) time - man, there won't be an ant or bird that is safe anywhere, not to mention an entire population of innocent victims (LOL).

As for the caliber - get the 40, get a 357 Sig barrel, practice with both and use whatever depending on ammunition availablity whenever you travel.

As for grip style - I'm an old 1911 fan and the newer guns don't do a lot for me, but your choices are all good ones.  JMO.  Mikey.

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 02:52:13 AM »
I guess your not really on a dollar range. I might be wrong but isnt the USP about $200 more then the GLOCK/XD-40. If you are looking at guns in the $750.00 dollar range, look some Sigs. or even a Springfield 1911.

I was only 21 a few years ago, Im 24 now. I remember when I was able to get my first handgun under my name. I went out the day I turned 21 and bought a pistol. It was not my first pistol though. I had them for years.They were just under my dads name and when I turned 21 he came to my house and gave them all to me. So, point is I had 12+ year exp. with hand gun shooting befor I was 21.

Evey gun you named is a great gun. I own every thing you named but a XD-40. But, you really do not know if you trully like a gun by the feel. I would find a range and see who has them to rent. You really need to shoot them, at lest 200 rounds though each one. I mean, you might find the one that feels the best on the show room floor, feels like crap when it goes bang.

I do not know if you carry at all, but most of us on this forum do. If you do while your at the gun shop, put them in a holster where you will carry the most on your body and see how if feels, draws, ext. ext. .

I would also think about parts and custom stuff. You might end up playing with trigger pulls, sights, springs, more MAGS. ext. ext. . You also might want to get into some type of shooting team, so, you might want to look into what is and is not aloud.

If you are hell bent on a .357Sig. Get a Sig. or Glock, IMHO they are the best .357Sig. shooters.

But, I would not buy any thing till I shot it. I would shoot shoot thoughs guns first.

These are only MHOs.
                   Good luck.
                           Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 02:56:13 AM »
I just noticed that the link you posted is of a ported XD. I would not go ported. It will blind you at night if you have to shoot it in your house, or outside. It is also much louder and will blow back in your face if you have a head wind out side. Plus on a .40S&W you just dont need it. IMHO.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline screej

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 07:23:02 AM »
Thanks alot guys.  There is a pistol shooting range near my house.  I will try out these 3 at the range and make my final decision.  Thanks for the advice.    :eek:

screej

Offline JJ79

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 10:16:58 AM »
I agree w/Dave...shoot it before you buy it!!  The Glock would be the simplest to operate (I don't know how much shooting experience you have?) and I would go with the .40 S&W; ammo is cheaper and you will find more of a selection.

Mikey's right get a .22 and shoot it a LOT!! (fun AND helpful!!)

As I said already, I don't know your level of experience, but if you're just starting out w/handguns PLEASE get some instruction from some folks who know what they're doing.  You'll shoot better and live longer!!  :-)

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up with... :D

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 05:43:11 PM »
Today I started to prepar for the GSSF match. I will shoot every day to every other day up untill the match on the 21st of this month. I will be shooting about 400 rounds a day till then.

GSSF is "Glock Sport Shooting Foundation"

Any-how, while shooting today it reminded me of this post. There is a few things I would do to the Glock if that was my pick.

I would put the 3 pound trigger pull on it, it is about $20.00 and installs in about 15 minutes. I would put the extended MAG. and slide release on it, it is about $30.00 for the set and takes about 30 minutes to install. I would have a gun smith do these 3 installs though. Most shops have some one that can do these installs, if they sell Glocks.

I would also put a set of sights on a Glock. I hate the Glock "box" rear sight, Although some people like them. There easy to change, it has a nut on the inside of the slide for the front, and you can get a press tool to get the rear one off and on. I gun shop could also do this for you. If you are going to use a Glock for carry only I would get the Meprolight "glow in the dark" sights. If you are going to target shoot, I would go with fiber optic sights, green in the rear, red in the front. There about $60-100 a set, depending on what you go with. There worth there weight in gold though IMHO.

There are also 3 really cool type grips for the Glock. Two are stick on and one is slip on. The two stick ons are A-GRIPS, there kinda softer and thicker for added control and deeper thumb grove. The other stick on is a Decal-grips. They are thin and like grip tape on a skate board, they make them for the grips and slide. Both these type grips are "cut to fit". Just remember that when you are using somthing like a Decal-grip you are kinda going agenst what the Glock is. By that I mean the Glock has no hammer and nothing for it to get hung on if you were to have to draw it fast from under a shirt or jacket. The Decal-grips could/may get hung up in a shirt or jacket, and I think are better used on a target gun not a carry gun. IMHO. The third and last type grip is a slip on Houge grip. It is a little thicker and makes the finger grooves in the front strap a little more defind, but, you lose your rear cheakerd straping. Even though they are slip on they do not slip on easy and will not slip of. All these grips I noted you can pick up from a gun shop or the internet for $5-20 dollars. Also you could always send your Glock frame out and have it remolded. You could have it dove tailed, or thined, or even fit to you fingers and hand size. This could run you up to $300.00 plus dollars.

In last note Glock is a great gun and you will have years of good times with it and meet some great people.

Keep us posted on the info of your first handgun. Hope this helpped.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 08:29:22 AM »
You would be wise to get a 9mm first, then move up in power....cheap ammo :roll:

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 09:31:30 AM »
For a first handgun I would look at SW 617 or either the Ruger Auto 22. They are real inexpensive to shoot and will aid you better in learning good shooting habbits.

Of the three you have listed I would go with the XD in 40 Cal. The cost of the gun will not break the bank and recoil of the 40 shouldn't be enough to make you gun shy.

Out of my stash I find the 22's get more use than any of them and I'm a big bore nut, go figure  :? . I have handguns ranging from 300 bucks to around 3 grand and still the lil ol'22 gets more range time than any of them excet for maybe one or two others.

Take Care,
Scott

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 10:31:35 AM »
I agree with the .22LR as part of the learning process. I shot nothing but a .22LR for a long time. At times I tested why I was/being made, to shoot just a little .22LR, but, as I got older I was glad I went though it. Keep in mind this is when I was like 8 years old, all the way up to being a teen.

screej, You never really posted what you want to do with this gun. I see you live in Richmond, I think they have a carry class. Right?

I also agree with poncaguy, 9MM is a great round. It is what I shoot and carry alot of times. Ammo is cheep as it comes with center fire hand gun ammo. Like a said, Im shooting 100s of rounds a day now, and, Im still not spending to much money with 9MM. Plus I do not think .45 is as good for target as 9MM is. IMHO, and trust me I shoot 100,000 rounds a year easy.

Also, dont let no one tell you 9MM is a bad protection round. Any one who thinks that has never seen what a 9MM round does to a ribcage or the head of a 300 pound pig, at 40 feet.

I will also say that the .40S&W is probably one of the best all around rounds, and, I do not think you will go wrong with it. Ammo is also not to badly priced. And ofcorse they are good protection rounds and good target rounds. Plus they make tons of ammo options.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 10:50:04 AM »
Yea Houseofcash, soon as my Ruger KP345 decocker in 45 gets in, my next will be a 40S&W in Ruger. :-)

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 11:36:28 AM »
Yea Houseofcash, soon as my Ruger KP345 decocker in 45 gets in, my next will be a 40S&W in Ruger.

Hummmm, How do you like the KP345? I have read great things about them. I have no hands on with one though. They look well built. I like the price on them too.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 02:55:38 PM »
suppose to be here Monday.........held one at gun show, really feels good compared to my Ruger P90 and P95......... :D

Offline screej

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2005, 12:05:18 PM »
To reply to your question houseofcash,  this gun would be primarily for target shooting at a range and I probably wouldnt carry it around in public in a holster or anything.  atleast not quite yet.  Being in college Im not sure how much time and need i would actually have to wear it.   8)

O yea.  those modifications sound nice too.  thanks for the info

screej

Offline mike martin

Kimber Eclipse II
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2005, 03:00:17 PM »
This is the first time I have logged on to this site .  I have owned guns for years and reading you guys comments I would agree I have an older model H&R arms target 22, and it gets more action than anything I own.. What got me crusing some of the gun sites is I won a Kimber Eclipse II at our local NRA banquet, actually its the first really high dollar hand gun Ive ever owned. Its the 2005 NRA gun of the year and everybody at the banquet and everybody I show it to says dont shot it and it will be worth more. However I just bought a box of shells and I think Im gonna break it in Ive never sold any gun Ive ever bought and doubt Ill ever sell this one. Just feeling the action I know it will be a good shoot

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 03:09:09 PM »
Its the 2005 NRA gun of the year and everybody at the banquet and everybody I show it to says dont shot it and it will be worth more.

I would shoot the crap out of it. That gun was made to shoot and shoot alot. If you want a 1911 wall hanger get one that was used in WWII and put that on the wall. Not a Kimber. That gun did not become the 2005 NRA gun of the year because a bunch of guys just looked at it.

Any-how, it would be years befor it was worth much more then it is now. Have fun with it. Just MHO.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline jgalar

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 03:46:56 PM »
Don't overlook the CZ75 also. http://www.czusa.com/01.01.php

Offline ChrisU

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2005, 06:39:45 AM »
Happy Birthday!  Not sure what is driving your interest in those particular guns, but nothing beats test drives!  If you have a range nearby that has guns for rent while on the range, it is a great way to try different makes/models/grips etc.  If they have a certified instructor available, all the better.  Spend a little money on time with him/her trying different pistols.  Just go into it knowing what characteristics matter most to you i.e. use, reliability, frame size, weight, grip, recoil, cost, etc, and drill it down from there...

Sorry for the late post - just joined the site...
Life member: NRA