Author Topic: Demill barrel stock  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Scota

• Trade Count: (0)
Demill barrel stock
« on: May 13, 2005, 07:58:32 AM »
I once found a pile of cut up modernish rifled barrel stock.  I think they were 75mm. maybe 5' to 6" lenghts.  Maybe Sherman barrels, it has been a long time.   I really lusted to use a piece of that stock to make a replica ML cannon.  Unfortunately they would not fit in my VW.   I have often thought of boring a mould on my lathe for a great big minie ball.  It could then be shot in a ML cannon made from demil barrel stock. Can pieces of barrel be bought from any scrap dealers or others?  Is the twist in such a barrel too fast for a cast bolt?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Demill barrel stock
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 08:58:01 AM »
When you happen to be in the right place at the right time, it is possible to find things like this.  The best place to look is scrap yards that deal in alloy steel, but it is really a random good luck issue more than anything else.

The twist should be more than fast enough for any reasonable projectile as the actual combat projectiles the barrel was designed for were probably much longer than anything a recreational shooter would use.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
Demill barrel stock
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 09:13:11 AM »
Civil war artillery barrel twits varied from around 1:70 to 1:126".
Sherman barrels work very well (so well that new tank barrels are no longer allowed in NSSA comp.) and are sometimes for sale in shotgun news at Sarco.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Demill barrel stock
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 01:15:54 PM »
Scota -

WELCOME to the forum!  Good question you raised.  There is another example in an earlier post of a 20mm barrel being used.  

Not bad options at all!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
Demill barrel stock
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 01:40:32 PM »
http://www.bigskysurplus.com  has cannon barrels in 20mm, 30mm, 40mm,76mm,152mm and 155mm.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.