Author Topic: Tired of doing research need help  (Read 647 times)

Offline MaddSquirrel

• Trade Count: (0)
Tired of doing research need help
« on: May 14, 2005, 05:23:18 AM »
I have been looking for a scope for my 870 for awhile and have narrowed it down to three scopes:  Mueller multi-shot, burris fullfield II, or the weaver shotgun scope.  Since you all are knowledgable, can you all please give me recomendations as to which one to purchase.  Thanks all.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Tired of doing research need help
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 05:43:54 AM »
Quote from: MaddSquirrel
I have been looking for a scope for my 870 for awhile and have narrowed it down to three scopes:  Mueller multi-shot, burris fullfield II, or the weaver shotgun scope.  Since you all are knowledgable, can you all please give me recomendations as to which one to purchase.  Thanks all.

First off welcome to Graybeard. Second I would also look at the Leupold 2X7X33mm for your shotgun. Very good scope and price is not bad. JMHO.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 05:58:33 AM »
Welcome aboard!!  :D  I have the Mueller Multi-shot and the Leupold VX-1 2-7x33, for the money, the Mueller is a much better buy, the Mueller's glass, tracking and overall quality is just as good if not better. The friction adjustments on the Leupold work ok, but the click adjustments on the Mueller are crisp and very precise. The Leupy has slightly better eye relief and weighs a bit less, but also costs considerably more. I also have a Burris FFII 3-9x40, which is a great scope, optical quality is right up there with the Mueller and Leupy, but again, costs more than the Mueller.......Whatever your choice, I'd highly recommend Jon at The Optic Zone for your optics shopping....

www.theopticzone.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 06:33:59 AM »
I have Leupold and Burris scopes and to be honest after I sight the gun I just want the scope to work.  Both brands have been great.  There appears to be a following for Leupold and Burris kinda like Ford vs. Chey.  I dont think you can go wrong with either.  However, eye relief should be a weighting factor, unless you want a black eye... :)

Does the Mueller have the lifetime warranty?  I believe both Burris and Leupold do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 06:47:32 AM »
Mueller has a lifetime warranty, the only difference is the owner must keep the original receipt, other than that, the warranty is the same as Leupold and Burris and unlike some other warranties, is good to any owner, not just the original owner. And.....Mueller Optics as well as The Optic Zone is a GBO sponsor, can't say the same for Leupold and Burris.

www.muelleroptics.com

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 08:28:08 AM »
I bought an Elite 3200 1.5x-4.5x Firefly and mounted it on my .375H&H MAG! :eek:

Guess what?  This scope has excellent optics and has held up PERFECTLY against the powerhouse recoil of the .375H&H Mag.  Tracking is excellent and it holds its zero equally well.

I bought the scope from Jon at the optic zone last year and I think it was about $185 or so, and I just couldn't be happier.

I strongly recommend this scope on your shotgun.

Zachary

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 09:23:14 AM »
Here's a pic of my 835 UltiMag with the Mueller Multi-shot w/camo scope cover. I didn't have a pic of it yet, so I took one just for you, Maddsquirrel!!! :wink: One more point I failed to mention earlier, the 3¼" eye relief must the minimum at 7x, cuz it seems to have considerably more than that on 2x as near as I can tell, closer to 4" which is plenty. The 835 shooting 2¼oz, 3½" turkey loads has over 70ft/lbs of recoil energy, which is considerably more than the 375H&H.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2310

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3604

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 09:26:17 AM »
An 870 with slugs can kick pretty hard so plenty of eye relief is the first thing to consider IMHO. Zachary has a good scope on his .375 and it must have plenty of eye relief to work well on a .375 mag. A Leupold 2.75 x fixed power scope would work well for you and they have lots of eye relief. A slug gun is not a long range firearm so high magnification isn't really needed.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 03:32:01 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Mueller has a lifetime warranty, the only difference is the owner must keep the original receipt, other than that, the warranty is the same as Leupold and Burris and unlike some other warranties, is good to any owner, not just the original owner.

Can someone explain why Mueller requires the owner to keep the receipt?  I am going to be picking up a handgun scope during the late summer and would consider the Mueller if it had a "Receipt Free" Warranty.  

Thanks,
Doug

Offline MaddSquirrel

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 06:09:33 AM »
Thanks all for the replies.  I had been looking at the mueller, but the eye relief was a concern.  Again thank you all.