Author Topic: trouble with wandering zero/point of impact with H&R NEF  (Read 598 times)

Offline Nebraska Kelly

• Trade Count: (0)
trouble with wandering zero/point of impact with H&R NEF
« on: May 15, 2005, 11:21:09 PM »
Hello. I have had 8 of these H&R NEF rifles. The only one that shot consistently for me was in 30-30 caliber. That rifle when zeroed would always shoot to the same point. The other rifles I have tried would usually shoot good enough size groups but the group would be on target one time then six inches high the next time or to the left or to the right. I cant get one to shoot to the same place often enough to trust the rifle. I forgot about  the 22 hornet I had. It would hold a zero as well as the 30-30. I always used winchester 150gr powerpoint factory ammo in the 30-30. It would always (and I mean always) shoot 1 to 1 1/2 inch five shot groups at 100 yards. Do any of you get the wandering zero problem on your rifles? I suspect the 30-30 holds true because of the low pressure round. But that is just my theory. I would like any suggestions you may have.
I like the cost and the size of these rifles but until I get that solved I wont get another one.  Thanks for the help.
Nebraska Kelly

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
trouble with wandering Zero
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 06:45:40 AM »
I have been working with a 25-06 and 7mm-08 barrels and are doing the same thing. Bought the rifle with the 450 Marlin and it shot great and havn't even worked a load up for it. Getting a little disappointed with the other two. My 50cal muzzle loader barrel is grouping better than these. Zeak

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
trouble with wandering zero/point of impact
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 06:54:15 AM »
I would start with the basics, make sure the scope rail is mounted securely, the screws are loctited in place, check to make sure the rings are tight, also. Have the guns been cleaned real good inside and out from the start? Make sure there is no lubricant on the latch and latch shelf so the lockup is always the same. Make sure you pull the trigger fully to the read at each pull, don't release pressure at the break, the transfer bar safety mechanism will prevent full impact on the firing pin if you don't which can lead to inconsistent accuracy. All of my H&R rifles like to be shot dirty, clean barrels aren't as accurate until they've been fouled by a few shots. This is just a start, read a lot here and you'll pick up some more tips....

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:07:33 AM »
Be sure to read the FAQ Sticky at the top of this forum list, lot's of good stuff in there that may be of help to you....

Good shootin' to ya, :wink:

Tim

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 09:49:36 AM »
I suspect the 30-30 holds true because of the low pressure round. But that is just my theory

I agree and think there may be something to that!

You will often see it said around here that the NEF is not a target rifle, but rather a hunting and field rifle.  That's another thing I agree with, but OTOH even a field/hunting rifle needs to be consistent in its POI out to the range that one might shoot with it.

My suggestion is to sight in using the bench  but with the rifle supported with your hands in a more or less field hold or field position.  Use the bench and bags but support the rifle with your arm rested on the bag and the rifle forearm rested in your hand as you would do when shooting in the field.  If you shoot cross sticks, don't rest the rifle or forearm directly on the sticks, but rather use the sticks to support your wrist with the rifle forearm rested in your hand.

Try that and see what you think.  These NEF guns are very susceptible to changes in position when you try to bench them like you would with a fullstock rifle.  Seems like any minor change in rest point will change impact point.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 09:54:01 AM »
NK, here's a previous thread that may be of help to you....

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=371540&highlight=#371540

Offline Nebraska Kelly

• Trade Count: (0)
Thanks for the input everyone.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 08:42:10 PM »
Thanks for the input. I particularly like the suggestion from Longcruise. After the rifle is sighted in then shoot it by holding it like you are hunting with it. Still steady with elbows on bench but no sandbag pressures. The only pressure then is my hands and they usually go on the rifle the same way every time. This is worth a try. I will also keep the lockup extremely free of oil/grease/cleaning solvent. I have always thought cleaner is better for most guns. When I start getting unexpected results I always think the bore should be cleaned. This is true with my bolt guns. I am going to try smoothing the bore with JB paste then let the barrel stay dirty. That is worth a try. I did tinker with a rubber O ring in forearm. That was much worse. This barrel is a 308 by the way. I keep thinking the lockup is a possible problem. I will degrease and dry it thourley. I always have everything tight on the base and scopes. No problem there. I will also try to load lower pressure rounds. I have been using winchester 150gr factory. Still that should be good ammo for the gun. Is there any gunsmithing that can be done to improve the lockup?   Thank you all for the information. I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem. I haven't seen any post on it.
Nebraska Kelly

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 09:50:18 PM »
You will often see it said around here that the NEF is not a target rifle, but rather a hunting and field rifle. That's another thing I agree with, but OTOH even a field/hunting rifle needs to be consistent in its POI out to the range that one might shoot with it.

Well...some times...you can get  target rifle accuracy... just using hunting ammunition...here's 5 shots at 100 yards using the new Federal Fusion Ammo...out of my 30-06 Ultra-Comp... Granted...it doesn't happen often...but that's one of the draws for these great little rifles...sometimes you get real lucky...and I've had real good luck with mine so-far...

Here's the thread...

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=62494&start=0

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...