Bushnell
9 (21.4%)
Nikon
6 (14.3%)
Other
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: May 16, 2005, 10:40:42 AM

Author Topic: Looking for New Scope  (Read 916 times)

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Looking for New Scope
« on: May 16, 2005, 10:40:42 AM »
Ok, here I am, looking for a new scope to put on a Remington 700 Sendero in .308.  I picked up this gun this weekend at a gun show and need to put a quality scope, at a good price, on the rifle.  I have a Zies Conquest on a Browning 25 WSSM and a VX-II on a Remington 700 22-250, and I have a Bushnell 4x12x40 AO that is just lying around.  The Bushnell is okay and thought about swapping scopes on guns, but I don't like the AO as much as I thought I would....So, lets see what you think and help me in this matter.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for New Scope
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 12:27:33 PM »
The way that you have your poll questioned is very vauge.  First of all, it just mentions name brands, and there are many models within each brand.  Second, your price range is very broad.  If you would limit it, say, from $200 to $300, then that would be much easier to answer than $200 to $500.

That said, the Bushnell Elite 4200 is an excellent scope in the $400 to $500 category, as is the Nikon Monarch and Zeiss Conquest and, I believe, the Leupold VX-III.

In the $200 to $300 category, there are the Elite 3200, Leupold VX-II, and Nikon Buckmaster as my choices.

As for models, it all depends on your intended purpose.  Keep in mind that you do not have a .308 Sendero, but rather a .308 VSSF.  The Senderos were limited to long action and magnum calibers.  On my .308 VSSF, I mounted a Nikon Monarch 3.5x-10x-50mm Illuminated scope that I bought from Jon at the Optic Zone - one of our sponsors and my favorite place to buy scopes even before they were sponsors or members of this site.  I use my .308 and this scope for general deer and hog hunting, and the illuminated reticle comes in VERY hand when hunting hogs in the very low light conditions that are otherwise illegal for deer hunting.

The new VX-II scopes are essentially the older Vari-X III scopes.   The Vari-X IIIs were way over priced, but now in the new VX-II line there are much more reasonable and, as GB once said, the best value in the Leupold line.  I ordered a VX-III 3.5x-10x-40mm from the optic zone last week and that scope is about $170 more than the VX-II.  Given that the VX-II has 92% light transmission, I really don't think that the VX-III at 98% light transmission is actually worth an extra $170, but I went ahead and bought it anyway.  I'm curious to see how much better (if any) the new VX-III is to the Vari-X III/new VX-II.

Zachary

Offline muzzleblast525

• Contributor
Scopes
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 12:39:52 PM »
Zachry,

What dose the VSSF stand for on this model gun?  There was no box with the gun, and I'm only going by what the guy had told me at the gun show.  The barrel is 26" long, is heavy, but fluted....Has the drop open maginze well, and is alot heavier than my other guns....

Thanks

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Looking for New Scope
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 01:22:53 PM »
Leupold  :D  Leupold  :D  Leupold  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Scopes
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »
Quote from: muzzleblast525
Zachry,

What dose the VSSF stand for on this model gun?  There was no box with the gun, and I'm only going by what the guy had told me at the gun show.  The barrel is 26" long, is heavy, but fluted....Has the drop open maginze well, and is alot heavier than my other guns....

Thanks

Varmint Synthetic Stainless Fluted??? If it's not stainless, it would be a VSF.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/centerfire.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline muzzleblast525

• Contributor
Gun
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 02:26:33 PM »
I guess that was what was throwing me off, I have a VLSF in 22-250, but I did not find the .308 in VSSF on the Remington web page.  The people I've talked with said that Remington quit making this gun, and with what I had found, thought it was the Sendero.

Offline muzzleblast525

• Contributor
Scopes
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 04:13:02 PM »
Nobody likes the Burris?

Offline Zachary

Looking for New Scope
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 06:44:03 AM »
I have 2 - both of them Black Diamonds - and I am not very fond of them.

Zachary

Offline coyote 2

• Avid Poster
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/schwager/
Looking for New Scope
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 06:35:58 AM »
The one scope that you left off - at least for me is the Weaver. Having used them most of my life - both for hunting and target shooting - I will continue to keep purchasing them. I love my KT 15s and the V24s. If I could change all my scopes to the KT 15 - I would be a very happy camper.    :-D
Don't cry because its over - Smile because it happened!

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
Looking for New Scope
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 10:26:46 AM »
Is anyone surprised by the Poll results so far?  I didn't think Leo's had such a following, given that they are overpriced for the quality.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
Looking for New Scope
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 12:19:46 PM »
I am surprised at how many people have said Zeiss so far. I guess they are going by the $500 range. My vote would be either Nikon or Bushnell simply because, in my eyes, they seem to be the most even/well priced scopes that fit in the range. For the Nikon's: The Buckmaster, Monarch, and maybe a Monarch gold could slip in there, and for the Bushnell's: Elite 3200 and Elite 4200.......thats just how I viewed the poll from ym perspective.....maybe a $400-$500 dollar poll and I would have said differently. :D  :D
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting