Author Topic: Barrel Swap Question  (Read 323 times)

Offline Bldr Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
Barrel Swap Question
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:33:56 AM »
This may seem like a dumb question for some of you but I am still a new nfr/hr shooter.  My question is if I send my 243 Ultra reciever in to get fitted for a 270 Ultra-Comp do they fit the barrel to the reciever or the reciever to the barrel?

I am asking this because I would like to be able to shoot the 243 and then throw the 270 on and continue shooting.  I guess what I am getting at is if it is like the encore in that manor.

Offline kenbev

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
barrel swap
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 11:40:55 AM »
They will fit the barrel to your reciever. You will be able to use either barrel at any time...

Offline Bldr Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
Barrel Swap Question
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 11:44:03 AM »
That's what I needed to know.  Thank you.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Barrel fitting
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 11:48:33 AM »
They fit the barrel to the receiver.  The NEF/H&R policy is that you only use barrels on your receiver that have been fitted at the factory.  To be safe, if you are inexperienced in this area, it is best to follow the NEF/H&R policy.  In the event you would aquire a barrel from e bay or somewhere else, you could take it to a gunsmith and have it fitted.  The factory will only fit barrels they sell.  
NEVER PUT A RIFLE BARREL ON A SHOTGUN RECEIVER.  They may looke the same and it may fit and lock up fine, but the shotgun receivers are not made to withstand the higher pressures of rifle  created by rifles.  You may, however, have a shotgun barrel fitted to a rifle receiver.  
It is not a dumb question.  I am glad you asked.  Have fun shooting your 243 and 270.  
Cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"