Author Topic: Might get a Remington, not sure......  (Read 744 times)

Offline Georgian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Might get a Remington, not sure......
« on: May 17, 2005, 06:59:25 PM »
Hey yall. I just recently got into BPR shooting back around Christmas. I have an 1851 Navy, and I love it; but it is just so hard to break down to clean. I hardly ever shoot it because it usually takes me and another person along with a hammer and something to punch the wedge out to tear it down. I really need some opinions on the Remington BPR's. I was thinking about getting a Remington New Model Navy in .36 cal. Since I already have .36 round balls, it makes sense to keep everything matching and simple. Only prob. is I am also interested in a Taurus 62 Pump-Action rifle, so can yall convince me to go with the BPR (HEHE). I would greatly appreciate any replies, thanks and God Bless Yall!
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 03:06:31 AM »
The Remington is tecnicly more advanced and superior to the colt.  That said the colt navies are natural pointers and I'm to the point I don't even need the sights anymore.  The Remington has a slightly uncomfortable(to me anyway) grip and ballance.  The Remington also binds up a bit quiker than the colt and is no harder or easier to take down than the colt.

On the colt, most of mine I can thumb press the wedge out, a couple I have to take the but of a screw driver and bump it flush then take it out by hand, one I have to drive it almoust all the way out with the screw driver.  One I had to take a little emory cloth to the cylinder pin to get it in and out of the barrel without a prybar.  If your having that much trouble with the barrel wedge somethings not right.  Not sure without looking at it, but may need to dress the wedge up a little, or the slot in pin or frame may have burrs or be a little too tight.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 04:19:17 AM »
Well, should I be able to take it apart by hand or by  pastic wedge and hammer? I mean, its a Pietta and others have had this kind of problem before. I just dont understand why it is so hard to knock it out. Like right now, the spring latch it perfectly latched to the frame on the right ide. To get it out, it would take one person to hold the latch w/a screw driver, and the me, a hammer and something to drive the wedge to get it out. I mean, my problem is how did all those guys in the 1800s knock out the wedges on their Navies? I love mine, I just wish I could find out why its so hard to take apart. Also, do you think it might need some filing around the wedge or in the wedge slot to smooth things out? So a Remington wouldnt be easier than a Colt to tear down? I figured it would, be all you have to do is take the cyl pin out, any help with my Navy would be greatly appreciated!
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline Flint

wedge
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 09:55:14 AM »
I bought a brass wedge removing tool, normally used on Kentucky or Hawken rifles, it is fairly short, with a rectangular business end.  That and a wooden mallet will do the job.  All the oldtimers had tools in their "Possibles" bag.

Do not use a screwdriver or other steel implement to remove the wedge.

I hold the gun in one hand with my fingers and thumb wrapped far enough around the barrel lug to hold the wedge drift tool against the wedge, (a balancing act easily enough learned) and tap the end of the drift with the mallet.  The wedge, even if it gets driven completely out, is trapped in the palm of that hand.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 03:47:39 PM »
I've had the cylinder pin on my Pieta Remengton foul up to where I have to drive it out with a brass hammer after just a couple cylinder fulls.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Mosby's Rangers 43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
    • VoyForums: Black Powder Message Board
Re: Might get a Remington, not sure......
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 08:24:26 PM »
Quote from: Georgian
Hey yall. I just recently got into BPR shooting back around Christmas. I have an 1851 Navy, and I love it; but it is just so hard to break down to clean. I hardly ever shoot it because it usually takes me and another person along with a hammer and something to punch the wedge out to tear it down. I really need some opinions on the Remington BPR's. I was thinking about getting a Remington New Model Navy in .36 cal. Since I already have .36 round balls, it makes sense to keep everything matching and simple. Only prob. is I am also interested in a Taurus 62 Pump-Action rifle, so can yall convince me to go with the BPR (HEHE). I would greatly appreciate any replies, thanks and God Bless Yall!

I told you Georgian to Get the .44 .... LOL ! How are ya doin man?
I Smoke Black Powder / Prefer an 1858 Remington
Voy.com/60048/
SASS# 19634

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Mosby's Rangers 43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
    • VoyForums: Black Powder Message Board
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 08:40:08 PM »
Will have you tried using T/C Natural Lube 1000 Bore butter on it... works great,I also jus' use a big plastic syringe and put a bead if it around the ball in cylinder. 60 rounds with out swabin' or cleanin'.
I Smoke Black Powder / Prefer an 1858 Remington
Voy.com/60048/
SASS# 19634