Author Topic: Backyard cannon fun  (Read 54039 times)

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2005, 11:02:04 AM »
I have to confess to the Irishman, That the shipment was 2 cannon short.(I needed a couple for the 4th Plus for my little pirate ship) I do want to thank the Irishman to allow me to work on his barrels, I found the quality to be top notched. Sorry for the delays. Its kind of like If you want one for the 4th ya gotta act fast, This wasn't deliberate, From idea,several prototypes,testing, Sending barrels and prototypes back and forth to production was done in about 6 weeks. We tried to get the product out as fast as possible without compromising quality and safety.
                                                           Thanx Again Irishman
                                                                                   Ray

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2005, 11:32:21 AM »
Ray,
Look at my thread, "My Weird Wiard Firecracker Cannon", which will soon appear. Here's one carriage Brooks probably won't be selling.

Steve

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2005, 05:24:32 AM »
Steve
   My compliments on your cannon. I also figure I'd throw a hint on having fun with the M-BPFC, Place the cannon on a table about 3 foot high put a peice of wood behind about a foot behind the cannon so it doesn't roll off the table.. place a target about 20-30 feet away IE: a board or woodpile (DO NOT FIRE AT ANY LIVING THING OR THINGS THAT CAN CAUSE PROPERTY DAMGAGE ADHERE TO THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT CAME WITH THE CANNON BE SAFE) I defy anybody who can out shoot me with the M-BPFC. I am a crackshot, I have documented proof in the first post of this thread. Sometimes I think I must have been a sergeant who was the main gunner of an artillery piece in an afterlife. Plus people also think I'm a little "off the wall" But Im able to hit my target with consistancy. So thats my challenge. If I get beaten Ill bow my head in shame. And take the Number 5 position. Which is lugging the amunition from the caison to the cannon.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2005, 12:56:39 PM »
Due to the success of the pre 4th shipment. The Irishman Of Brooks-usa has received another shipment of micro cannon for the people who have missed out.. Plus we are in the proccess of new designs.
                                                                       Ray

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2005, 03:31:48 PM »
Due to the success of the Feild, and Deluxe version of the M-seiries Cannon, The Irishman and myself are proud to anounce the Premere version of the M-series cannon. Both the M-FC and the M-BPFC will be offered in the Premere addition. The wood made from these cannon are made from the finest African Mahogany wood. Presently these models can only be preodered for they will be custom built to the finest standards. The standards of Brooks-usa products. If you are interested E-mail the Irishman at his website http://brooks-usa.com/index.html  These cannon will not be built in quanity but on an asordered basis. Retail price will be $59.99 Which we beleive is a fair price due to the quality of materials and the quality of the work that will be involved to build each cannon. There might be a waiting period for each cannon of up to 4 weeks.  

Offline lv shooter

Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2005, 12:24:10 PM »
I love the cannons that I got from you. Thanks

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2005, 03:10:13 PM »
lv shooter
       Thanx for the compliment, The compliment belongs to the Irishman from Brooks-usa . He is the man with the plan and he has alot more ideas in the micro cannon area. I just give him a hand, And I talk alot. but stay tuned For he has some new models coming out. I can't say much.
 I guess one of my advatages is I get insider information :wink:  But as promised to the Irishman my lips are sealed for now.. Stay tuned
                                                                             Rays89

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2005, 07:47:19 PM »
Just need a quick answer from the group, Ill probably make a separate post on this also to try to get as many answers on this sorry, Im thinking of taking a crack of making a M-BPFC into a field version, What would be the best diameter wheels for this would it be 2, 2 1/2 or 3 inch diameter wheels?

Offline lv shooter

Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2005, 04:40:27 PM »
Here is a pic of the base I made for one of Irishmans mortars.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2005, 02:00:41 PM »
LV shooter,

Beautiful workmanship on that base! It will outlast all of us. Thanks!

Michael

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2005, 05:21:28 PM »
LV Shooter that base looks pretty cool. I haven't gotten far with mine yet. I've been to busy messing with these micro cannon. Hopefully in the fall when things slow down, Ill have a chance to work on it.  Maybe shorten the sled. try to use some thinner wood and maybe glass the inside of the sled for more strength.  then paint the entire thing black to try to give it a cast iron look. But right now its on the back burner heres a shot of what I have so far  

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2005, 12:00:50 PM »
Well today I got bored and decided to field test the "Submicro" cannon viewed on the first page. The load was 10 grains of FFG with a #2 buck shot. It made the can fly a distance but damage was minimal. I  hope enclosed is a link to a MPEG of this shot.  submicro.mpg

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2005, 12:08:24 PM »
Should have filled the can with water.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2005, 02:09:47 PM »
O.K. RAY, I'm sorry. You been telling me you're bored. I missed it. I'm boxing several barrels for you to play with. Priority Mail, first light.

mb

Offline uz2busmc

Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2005, 03:36:08 PM »
rays89,

Was that minimal damage as in - it didn't even go through the can, or did it just pass through without doing much damage?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2005, 05:09:01 PM »
Quote from: rays89
Well today I got bored and decided to field test the "Submicro" cannon viewed on the first page. The load was 10 grains of FFG with a #2 buck shot. It made the can fly a distance but damage was minimal. I  hope enclosed is a link to a MPEG of this shot.  submicro.mpg

Cool MPG.  Now we need to develop this to be a serious chipmonk gun!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2005, 02:37:29 AM »
CW
  The barrel is a little longer than an inch all I think it would do would get the chickmonk angry and force it to attack and I'd be forced to climb a tree (or maybe if I shot a bear). I think maybe a weighed instead of volume load of FFFg or maybe FFFFg might pierce the can (it was dented) or I can try the M-BPFC with a 10 grain FFG load that would definetly go through (longer barrel). Last May I tried the "sub micro" against a plastic water bottle the pellet bounced off the bottle and hit my shin, Throwing the pellet at me would have done more damage.
  Irishman I can't wait to see what kind of suprises I got coming R&D is  as fun as shooting these things. At least I dont have to wait until everybody has their lawnmower going or have my bike backfiring to do some testing. I have pesky neighbors on both sides and nothing but woods in the back yard.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2005, 02:58:44 PM »
Well I know this is a little off subject but one neighbor gone my town is tough and this is what they do when you don't pay your property taxes

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2005, 03:23:13 PM »
Well I know this is a little off subject but one neighbor gone my town is tough and this is what they do when you don't pay your property taxes

WOW! That's HARSH!   :eek:  :shock:  :eek:
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2005, 02:38:55 PM »
I guess its a little harsh but I'm hoping the othe pesky neighbor forgets to pay theirs, So I can bring out the big guns. once the yellow bulldozer is done with them :wink:

Offline GGaskill

Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2005, 02:42:24 PM »
I hope my insurance company doesn't carry a life insurance policy on the backhoe operator.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2005, 12:50:51 PM »
Life insurance? I'm tempted on sending everybody on the block bogus "tax amesty notices" and to disregard and future notices.......
  Ok Im pulling everybodies leg here the truth is 15 years ago this was all woods, And that was a nice house there (it wasn't a shack at all.) Back then I could have fired a full size Napolean in my back yard if I wanted to But then I wouldn't have any woods left. But at least we were able to shoot shot guns and .22 rifles.
    Then it happened the rich people came and ruined the neighborhood. If you passed wind they complained. Somebody bought the house next door for $600,000 tore down the house and is Building a McMansion next door tearing out all the woods on the side of thier property (about 75 yards) which was a buffer zone. Just what I need is to look out my side window and see some old crow taking a shower. Well Maybe they will build a pool in the backyard. I guess it would be nice to give them a welcome party then. If not Im popping off the muffler on my lawn mower.
    I'm getting way off topic here so Im going to give the Irishman a hint Because I know he reads this post. Since the M-BPFC and the M-FC was successful Im thinking M-BPFC Mortar be nice to do some R&D with my Lawnmower with the straight pipes going.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2005, 10:47:35 AM »
I guess now I can actually put a post that is on topic. The Irishman of Brooks-Usa fired over one of his. Mountain Howitzer barrels. Its the 30 Cal one. barrel length 6 1/2 inches. Ive built one already with a feild carraige which came out nice (alot of brass). But with this one I'm going to build an M-BPFC on steroids I guess with most people This is a "micro" but for me, This is magnum size.  

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2005, 02:28:16 PM »
I haven't been able to post anything or build anything due to  a slight illness. Well I finally. was able to get into my wood shop and make a little sawdust and decided to make something simple for starters. It is an M-BPFC barrel on a carraige designed for airbursts, Now I have to brush off the dust on the M-BPFC cannon on a feild carraige. I have so many projects to catch up on.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2005, 05:11:27 PM »
Ray -

Glad to see you're back.  Was worried that you' been ignoring us.

This little rascal has potential - not many replicas full or sub-scale have been done like this one.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2005, 03:25:53 AM »
Ray

Great to see you back and healed. Your antics were solely missed!

Michael

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2005, 11:55:08 AM »
I'm glad to be back,  Now I got to play catch up. All my projects were gathering dust. Looks like I'm going to be busy for awhile, Which is good it keeps me out of trouble  :twisted:

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2005, 03:00:07 PM »
While my last project was a test bed, I figure I'll finish my "semi" scale project from one of the barrels I got from Brooks-Usa. I guess it is pretty easy to figure out what type of mortar this is.  This is one project down, 3 more on the workbench and 2 more in transit. I guess I'm trying to play catch up'

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2005, 05:54:34 PM »
Golly that's a cool mortar!

How big?  I would have thought three or four folks would have said something about the absence of the empty powder can!   :)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2005, 01:19:40 PM »
Tim
  Thanx for the compliment. I knew I was going to get snagged for not having an empty GOEX can for size reference right after I posted. Well I used a full can for reference. And threw in a few of my other projects in various stages of completion. One is a 24 pounder with a short barrel I just need to assemble and finish. Of course I had to put the M-BPFC field cannon in maybe I'll stop procrastinating on that one. A Napolean barrel which I haven't even started to cut wood on. And the Brooks-Usa mini Coehorn which I'm mounting on a black walnut base. When the Irishman said "more backyard cannon fun" I just had to have it. I have a feeling that can of Goex is going to  be empty real fast.