Author Topic: Backyard cannon fun  (Read 54056 times)

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »
Michael, you know I like these little Parrott's, especially the larger one, but I really like your Mt. Howitzer! We'll see how things turn out! BTW, did you see the "Pack Parrott"? Nice little machine there, too! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #301 on: March 14, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »
It is funny this post start years ago with the small firecracker cannons like the M-FC and the M-BPFC these little cannon could fit in your pocket. Now the sizes have grown. Just as this post has. My favorite is the large parrot gun I got from the Irishman the craftsmanship is incredible. Just a shame I am to much a wuss to get it dirty. To me that is the one to get.  It is good to see that there are smaller parrot guns becoming availble I do have set of six inch wagon wheels waiting for a barrel. The midsize one would be cool tomake a copy of the Swamp Angel. But right now I gotta get some more wood and some fresh scraw saw blades. Michael whats the deal a Coehorn? What are trying to do take my lunch money? I do have a liking of launching Golf Balls. The amuniton is free just gotta clip them from the neighborhood golf course hee hee

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #302 on: March 14, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
I'm right behind you for #2 .30cal ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #303 on: March 17, 2009, 10:41:26 AM »
Personally, I'd rather "Patina Once" than "Polish Forever"...(with a touch-up once in awhile!) Ah, if it could only be that easy! BoomLover

Can't agree with you more especially when have much brass to polish, So I patina this big boy..

Barrel and hardware..

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #304 on: March 17, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »
Drop and give me 20 soilder

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #305 on: March 17, 2009, 11:34:54 AM »
EL Cazador,
The patina looks great with the carriage.  Where are the key's?
Len
DICW

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2009, 01:03:40 PM »
Sorry lendi, Even if I gave you the keys the Dogs wouldn't allow you to walk away.. :D HA HA !!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #307 on: March 17, 2009, 03:29:56 PM »
I surely do like the looks of that one! Great job on the patina, and also a beautiful piece of workmanship in the carriage! What size is that bad boy? Is that an "Irishman" special? Is that the "24" you refered to earlier? Got a special request, can you do a larger couple of pics of the Brit Mortar? I do like that one, too! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #308 on: March 17, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »
Yep, that be the special 13" Long X 3" Dia. 1" Bore 24 pounder By Brooks (The Michael Irishman).. Carriage Built By Lenny from Duck Isand Cannon works.. I tale some photos of the Brit Mortar over the weekend.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #309 on: March 17, 2009, 04:51:04 PM »
Great, thanks! I'll by looking back here to see that one! Fine job Michael did on that barrel! BoomLover

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #310 on: March 17, 2009, 05:03:38 PM »
Tell us more about that patina.  where did you get it and what color is it. 

Has a real working gun looking finish without being rough and corroded nor does it have that highly polished desk ornament toy look.

Real Kewpie award stuff.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #311 on: March 17, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »
blasphemy I say.....Seriously I do have to admit it does look good. I hope Drill Sgt Rimmer doesn't read these posts yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #312 on: March 17, 2009, 05:58:59 PM »
Tell us more about that patina.  where did you get it and what color is it. 

Has a real working gun looking finish without being rough and corroded nor does it have that highly polished desk ornament toy look.

Real Kewpie award stuff.

Well I have to thank you twice, first for the kewpie doll award and second for the web site ( sculptnouveau.com) so I could purchase the supplies to get the job done. Which were Birchwood casey antique brown gel (M-38), Metal cleaner and permalac spray lacquer.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »
That's a great looking cannon ! It has a "brute" look to me . I might name it "Bidness" in latin of couse .

I will shoot the little Brooks Parrot and keep it shiny for a while .....but that is really no keeping up with it ,unless some can and will "drop down and gimme 20" or...more likly annouce that for some unknown reason "YOU had just got the entire platoon killed" .

As a result they have to drop and gimme 20 while you stand there and watch. By about the third time anyone did it the Parris Island night became "uncomfortable" to put it mildly. That will keep your brass shiny  ;D ...at least once a day  . Now maybe not so much .

That is one of the nicest looking cannon/carriage combos I've seen they really complement each other .
ETA is that cannon on Brooks website ?

rocklock
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
RAYS89 , I need to borrow your thread . I want to announce the Debut of my Marble Mortar

I qm offering this tube not for sale , but as a premium to those who purchase one of my larger tubes . Contact me at armorer77@cmsinter.net Armorer77

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2009, 11:06:35 AM »
Hey I got one of those!!!  you don't need marbles either. 3/4 oz cannonball fishing weights work and a 25 grain charge of FFG is good for some giggles. only problem getting the fishing weights you can't go to the golf course and get them for free you gotta buy them ugh. Here is a pic. it is on a bed that looks like a sled

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2009, 11:29:02 AM »
Nice sled Rays89 , but if you got to buy ammo , the Dollar store marbles @ $1.00 per 100 ain't bad . Armorer77

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »
Here is a pic. it is on a bed that looks like a sled

And this is why some of us still call it a SLED bed/base, among other things. :)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »
I surely do like the looks of that one! Great job on the patina, and also a beautiful piece of workmanship in the carriage! What size is that bad boy? Is that an "Irishman" special? Is that the "24" you refered to earlier? Got a special request, can you do a larger couple of pics of the Brit Mortar? I do like that one, too! BoomLover

Here ya go Boomlover:

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2009, 06:26:39 PM »
Thanks, El Cazador, that is a nice one! Like I said, I want to do one in minature, got the barrel already, working on the bed. I had wondered where the fuze hole was located, this showed me perfectly! Nice trunnion hold down straps, did you do those too? Beautiful lion's head handles! Thanks again, BoomLover

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #320 on: March 29, 2009, 04:02:17 AM »
Normally  I would have some picture posted. I have the barrels to work with. But I ran into a problem. I ran out of wood. I have real nice Brooks-Usa Napoleon barrel. I want to make a Naval carraige for. While I can order some black walnut or Mahogany. I do want to try a different type of "exotic" wood Something that has a lot of color with nice grain. and easy on the scroll saw blade. Anybody have any suggestions?

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #321 on: March 29, 2009, 04:31:26 AM »
Got the perfect wood for you...try Cocobola, has beautiful colors, swirls in the grain, easy to work, its a nice hardwood, I've seen gun stocks, knife handles, carvings, lathe turnings, bowls, vases, ect..would look real good as a naval carriage! If you like the Black Walnut, or Mahogany, you would like Cocobola. Just enter either "cocobola", or "exotic woods" in search. BoomLover

Offline Double D

« Reply #322 on: March 29, 2009, 04:50:44 AM »
Boomlover, you should hook him up with some Myrtlewood.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #323 on: March 29, 2009, 05:09:58 AM »
Absolutly, Double D! I thought of that, just didn't know how far away he was as to availability...but...I could arrange for shipping from here real easy! And, pick out some really great looking material, too! Rays89, drop me a PM and we can discuss it! Your right, Douglas, it's a good hard wood, very beautiful, easy to work, and would look great for his purpose! Thanks for the reminder. BoomLover

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #324 on: April 03, 2009, 06:47:09 AM »

Just in time for Spring!  Our newest addition to the BackYard will SPEAK (with or without cracker!) Once again, we need to credit Rays89 for some excellent prodding.  (Whowoodathunk these little birds could have such an attitude?!?) And yes, they are ready to fly!  
Over-built in Brooks-USA tradition, machined of 1" dia extruded brass rod, measuring 6+ inches OAL, these little golden guns are now available to GBO members for $75 delivered. Be prepared for some serious BackYard Cannon Fun!

Check out the pic below...can you detect the "dirty bird"

Michael 

Offline Double D

« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2009, 06:55:04 AM »
Michael,

They look good...Question for you.  Does the Parrot design lend it's self to being built as a fire cracker shooter?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »

Just in time for Spring!  Our newest addition to the BackYard will SPEAK (with or without cracker!) Once again, we need to credit Rays89 for some excellent prodding.  (Whowoodathunk these little birds could have such an attitude?!?) And yes, they are ready to fly!  
Over-built in Brooks-USA tradition, machined of 1" dia extruded brass rod, measuring 6+ inches OAL, these little golden guns are now available to GBO members for $75 delivered. Be prepared for some serious BackYard Cannon Fun!

Michael 

Can I make a geuss ?

Offline Double D

« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2009, 07:35:49 AM »

1st on left.

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2009, 12:20:52 PM »
Michael,

They look good...Question for you.  Does the Parrot design lend it's self to being built as a fire cracker shooter?

DD! I was so excited to introduce these Parrotts that I forgot to mention, yes, they love to launch crackers. I should also point out that 30 grains of ffg, nicely tamped, signal with suprising attitude!

DD, you are right! The Dirty Bird is "left" (you know me well)

Michael

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »
Rock,

You weren't going to guess #7? Your bird is having problems staying in formation. ::)

Michael