Author Topic: Backyard cannon fun  (Read 54042 times)

Offline robbob

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #450 on: July 03, 2009, 04:07:22 PM »
I too have been having a "BLAST" with my Brooks firecracker cannon.  As has been said, I discovered that a smaller amount of powder works better when shooting firecrackers.  Haven't tried a 30 grain salute yet......looks like I know what to do tomorrow!

Cant wait to get my Brooks 24 pounder.

Rob

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #451 on: July 04, 2009, 11:31:24 AM »
This is in MY backyard.

16" mortar firing a 15" beachball to 50-75 feet high with 2-3 oz of Cartridge blackpowder in a 4140 powder chamber.

More powder on tonight's shot.

Somewhat of a bang, DEEP, mellow.

Firecrackers work too, but they tend to get lost in it.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #452 on: July 04, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »
been hammering away all day  ;D my backyard battery is 1 .30 brooks cohorn and 1 brooks .30 parrot gun .

'....the cassions go rolling along...'

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #453 on: July 05, 2009, 09:28:34 AM »
Here is my slide show from yesterday.  May I just say that backyard cannon shooting is fun.  All the squirrels have left my backyad too.

Offline burner208

« Reply #454 on: July 22, 2009, 05:23:25 PM »
I've been a lurker for some time, guess its time to post what ive got.

I own 3 mortars right now, a BNA cork mortar, a brooks usa barrel, and a unkown 1 inch mortar.

bna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sDGU4igB8

Brooks .50 barrel, I was firing patched .45 ball with 40g of FFFFg powder.
Nevermind the bad paintjob, Its much better now ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTM_sQs0o3Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuKX_OaSpMc

This is my newest, looks home made, 1 inch bore. I think its brass. What projectiles can I fire and with what loads? It has been bouncing around in my shell cleaner all day, starting to look pretty good.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #455 on: July 22, 2009, 05:45:14 PM »
Suggest you might want to use Fg or FFg instead of FFFFg to reduce pressure. 

Who made the carriage  on the Brooks gun?

Offline burner208

« Reply #456 on: July 22, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »
Suggest you might want to use Fg or FFg instead of FFFFg to reduce pressure. 

Who made the carriage  on the Brooks gun?

Michael from brooks usa said that FFFFg would be fine with a short barrels (talking about the .50 he sold me) He said that I would have to use a slower burning powder like FFg if I go with a longer barrel. Do you think the FFFFg will be fine with the 1 inch bore?

As for the carriage I sorta "made" it. I bought a antique model cannon from gunbroker and milled its carriage out to fit the new barrel. I have thought about polishing every thing, the wheels and carriage are solid brass.

Offline Double D

« Reply #457 on: July 22, 2009, 06:39:34 PM »
I don't think FFFFg is good for any main charge in these size guns. The little tiny micro, Nano and pico guns using very small charges is the exception.  FFFFg is priming powder, very energetic and has excessive pressure use in small amounts.

The Carriage would look good in black with brass gun.  Good contrast. Everything all brass--yuck no contrast. I like what you have done with carriage and gun, looks great.

To late to save the mortar its inthe tumbler, a shame.  The patina was lovely and the shooting platform has so much charactor.

Both guns are very neat.

Offline burner208

« Reply #458 on: July 22, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
It may have looked good in the pictures but it was in BAD shape. It had never been cleaned, the inside had a thick layer of residue and the outside was black and incrusted around the touch hole. The main reasion I cleaned it is because I want to fire it and I wanted to make sure theres no visable cracks or stress marks. Better safe than sorry. It appears to be in sound shape, cant see any hidden damage besides some dings and scratch marks that was under the petina.

I like the petina look to, Ive already "aged" my BNA cork mortar. Its not quite as dark as the 1 inch barrel but its getting dark. I have the barrel setting front of my computer and about every hour a pick it up and play with it. The salt from my hands is working pretty good. It will get dark again, its just going to take some time.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #459 on: July 23, 2009, 12:13:48 AM »

Did you pick that up on GunBroker? I think I've seen that somewhere before.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline burner208

« Reply #460 on: July 25, 2009, 10:27:52 AM »

Did you pick that up on GunBroker? I think I've seen that somewhere before.......

yup, one in the same. Still trying to find out the max loads.

Offline Double D

« Reply #461 on: July 25, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »
The sticky at the top of the forum Safe Loads and Cannon plans has the information you need to determine maximum loads.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #462 on: July 25, 2009, 11:56:03 AM »
I hate to put it this way, but a barrel of unknown history has an unknown charge.

What I know I can put in a Brooks barrel is probably not safe in something else.

Err on the side of really light.

Rick

Offline burner208

« Reply #463 on: July 26, 2009, 05:41:17 PM »
The sticky at the top of the forum Safe Loads and Cannon plans has the information you need to determine maximum loads.

I've been skimming through the stickies but I cant find any load information about back yard cannons, all I seen was information about Fg powder.

Offline Double D

« Reply #464 on: July 26, 2009, 06:19:46 PM »
See the sticky safe loads and cannon plans look at the safe loads chart for cannons under 2 inch and yes Fg for cannons.

Offline Double D

« Reply #465 on: August 05, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »
Now I confess that looking at the Brooks M-BPFC Firecracker Launcher Cannon here on the board it really didn't light my fire. So when Michael sent a box of his guns  to sell at the Cannonm I finally got a chance to see one up close. I still wasn't all that excited.  It's nice looking little gun, but I shoot big stuff, ta taa!

My wife saw the guns and liked the cute little cannon and had to have one.   

Went up to friend Soutpaws this afternoon for some last minute work on my big 6PDR Mortar.  Took the cute cannon along for show and tell.

Well Southpaw in his typical corruptive manner got out the black powder and bottle rockets.  We only had one bottle rocket to go off.  But the rest were duly launched down range with a loud bang. 

On the way home, the wife reminded me that the cannon was her's, and I got it dirty and would have to clean it if I expected to use it again.  I guess I will have to get my own. 

Thanks Michael.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #466 on: August 05, 2009, 04:35:24 PM »

The wife reminded me that the cannon was her's, and I got it dirty and would have to clean it if I expected to use it again.  I guess I will have to get my own. 

Can't argue with that, DD. Looks like your arsenal is increasing by leaps and bounds.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #467 on: October 20, 2009, 04:02:50 PM »
I have been down for the count due to a severe injury to my hand. So I have been hanging low. Still looking at the stacked of Mrytlewood thats all planed and ready to cut. Still might be a while before I can start cutting wood just wondering if anything new has been going on with this post
                                                           Ray

Offline Double D

« Reply #468 on: October 20, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »
Ray, we were worried where you went...we were pretty sure you weren't mad at us. Didn't want to think of the other reason people "leave".  Although we just had a post by Southpaw on sending folks on their way, lets not rush things.

Get that hand well and get to work!!!  Welcome back.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #469 on: October 20, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »
Yes , take care of the hand !

gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #470 on: October 20, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »
Been wondering what's up with you and the Myrtlewood, sorry to hear about your hand, hope it is getting better daily! Good to see you online again! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #471 on: October 20, 2009, 11:51:32 PM »
Mad? not me. Where am I going? Hopefully Disneyland<lame joke. I just gotta take things easy and sit on the sidelines for a while...

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #472 on: November 05, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »
While I am still out of the game and I do not know how long. My hand was crushed abnd every single bone was broken. There may be a chance of not havin' full recovery.I am even have difficulty typing so please excuse my typos. But I can still look and drool. I was wondering if anybody has seen the revised addition of Micheals Napolean barrel. In Brooks-Usa I a truly impressed and a tad jealous. the lines on that barrel are impressive
          Has anybody ordered one andmade a carraige it sure would e a sight to see
                                                                                                           Ray

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #473 on: November 05, 2009, 04:54:16 PM »
My hand was crushed and every single bone was broken.

Ouch.  Sorry to hear that.  Hope you get back to normal.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #474 on: November 05, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »
Sorry to hear that Ray, pay attention to the Doctors and do what they tell you and you will be surprise how well they can patch you up!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #475 on: November 05, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »
Wow, Ray, really sorry to hear about your hand! We will pray that it heals and returns to full use! And we are glad to see you on line, and still holding the interest in our hobby! Don't worry about the Myrtlewood, it will wait for you to make a nice carriage out of it! Jim
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #476 on: November 07, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »
Jim
 And everyone thanks for your concern. and your personal messages. I found out what happens when you have your hand on a trailer hitch ball and a very heavy trailer drops into the ball. You hand bends in ways that are not possible kind of making a backwards fist. I have 3 finger severed off which were retattached and every bone in my hand was broken. Leason learned do not put you hand on the ball when the trailer is on top of it ouch. the recovery is long and will take awhile, But I am able to type better now, Just lookingforwards to being able to cut some more wood.
    I have the Myrtlewood and The Irishmans old Napoleon all planed and reay to cut :). And have been drooloing over the Irishmans new Napoleon barrel. That barrel has some sweet lines. and would make a great field carraige. Just wondering if anybody made any carraiges for that one. Keep up the posts. You can't get rid of me that easy. I do enjoy annoting Grebeard and DD once in a while <just kidding.
                                                                                                                                                 Ray

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #477 on: November 07, 2009, 03:57:42 PM »
"a backward fist"  :o  Thats against the law in Colorado !

Sorry , couldnt help it  ::) I hope that hand gets better soon ,although that is hard to imagine .

What is the myrtlewood for i've been reading about it in posts ?

Gary

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #478 on: November 07, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »
Gary, the Myrtlewood is for a carriage for one of the Irishman's cannons...He got it not too long before he smashed his hand, I shipped it to him from Oregon, only place on this side of the planet it is known to grow. BoomLover

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #479 on: November 07, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »
boomlover

do you got any pictures of myrtlewood
Im very curious to see how it looks finished
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns