Author Topic: Backyard cannon fun  (Read 54052 times)

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
Re: Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #540 on: January 29, 2010, 12:44:09 PM »
what about a nice easy one to start with 
 CannonUnknown Artist / MakerItaly1577 BronzeLength: 57.1 cm
Length: 2.9 cm, calibre
Weight: 9.91 kgInscription: 'IO . DE . SANTA / VLIANA . FOR / M . D . LXXVII' 'Giovanni da Santa Guiliana fundator 1557' 
 I hope to have some good pics of this one when we go visit............coupla weeks maybe.  not sure if they allow cameras.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #541 on: January 31, 2010, 02:32:22 PM »
Wow I didn't know I was missed some much  ;D. This is going to sound squeamish, But I found out what happens when you get you hand caught between the ball and hitch on a heavy trailer. I am hoping in about 6 months I should be able to have better capacity Though I do not know if it will be 100%. By then I should get another 1 inch Dictator barrel from the Irishman. I figure using a soft wood and an easy design which should be a good way to get back in gear and therapy. I still have the Myrtlewood and barrel just sitting there tauntning me. But But someday I will get that one done.
                                                    Thanks everyone
                                                                  Ray

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #542 on: January 31, 2010, 04:03:29 PM »
Typing at us is good therapy also Ray.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #543 on: January 31, 2010, 06:57:31 PM »
No rush, Ray. Take your time and heal all the way. We'll still be here. Come back when you're good and ready.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #544 on: February 03, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »
I think somebody is trying to get me motivated. I won't say names (Michael) Thanks buddy, As usual the workmanship is fantastic. And these barrels are very beefy. I tried to use the scroll saw last night, (what a fiasco). First I put the blade in backwards oops been awhile. When that was corrected. I had trouble cutting a straight line (still need to work at it) But I will get there. I figure I will use some soft cheap wood. And when I can get up to par. I will tackle that Myrtlewood project  ;D I want to thank everyone for their support and Micheal thanks for the barrels they are second to none in my book.
                                                                   Ray

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #545 on: February 11, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »
As I am on eternal backlog for silicon ,so to try to busy myself . I took a .22 cal Brooks Hex Parrott down to Tracy and Mike's place and turned it into a 1700's type gunnage .  ;D

Now I'll make a twin trial carriage . for it ! 8)
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

« Reply #546 on: February 11, 2010, 03:22:43 PM »
As I am on eternal backlog for silicon ,so to try to busy myself . I took a .22 cal Brooks Hex Parrott down to Tracy and Mike's place and turned it into a 1700's type gunnage .  ;D

Now I'll make a twin trial carriage . for it ! 8)
Gary

Is it rifled?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #547 on: February 11, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
No , It's a smooth bore .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #548 on: February 12, 2010, 03:03:49 AM »
RocklockI,
Nice, next you will be one of our sponsers. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #549 on: February 12, 2010, 09:11:26 AM »
Good to see you up and working, Ray! Keep at it, and you will be back in no time! Gary, that is a beautiful job you did on that 1700 hundreds gunnage! This forum never ceases to amaze me, the talent it brings out! Good work to all! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #550 on: August 07, 2010, 07:20:23 PM »
I think somebody is trying to get me motivated. I won't say names (Michael) Thanks buddy, As usual the workmanship is fantastic. And these barrels are very beefy. I tried to use the scroll saw last night, (what a fiasco). First I put the blade in backwards oops been awhile. When that was corrected. I had trouble cutting a straight line (still need to work at it) But I will get there. I figure I will use some soft cheap wood. And when I can get up to par. I will tackle that Myrtlewood project  ;D I want to thank everyone for their support and Micheal thanks for the barrels they are second to none in my book.
                                                                   Ray

Ray,
How's the rehab of your hand coming along?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #551 on: August 07, 2010, 07:24:52 PM »
Hi Ray , been a while , Get well soon .

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #552 on: August 09, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »
My ears were burnin'...No I am lying Michael told me. Ed thanks for askin' about me. Still pretty much on the mend, Been Kayaking and messing with a Harley (I am trying to see how many things I can take off the bike before it falls apart.)   I have been itching to do some building but still having some physical issues on that but in time I hope. I also been seriously itching to pop off a few blanks, But my neighbor complains if I even pass wind. (I need to borrow a full scale Parrot gun to take that Mcmansion down :P ) Well my bike has open pipes which are noisey :)
    Gary the only credit I can take is starting this post. Everybody else here grabbed the ball and ran with it keeping it alive. And Michael derserves a lot of credit for the barrels he has crafted. Without those barrels we would not have this thread.
                   Thanks everyone
                                     Ray

Offline Double D

« Reply #553 on: August 09, 2010, 01:32:01 PM »
Ray,

Glad to hear from you.  Was wondering if I should send flowers in memorium.

I am sure you are  getting physical therapy...be aggressive!  It true what they say, no pain, no gain. At the last check up the Doctor suggested my knee needed strengthening and told me to get a bicycle.  I don't know what puking my lungs up has to do with my knee, but I can feel it getting stronger.

Keep at it and you will be back at in no time.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #554 on: August 09, 2010, 09:02:26 PM »
I went back to the first post of this Homeric thread; is one member of this forum responsible for the original concept of a firecracker (shooting a cracker) cannon, or did the idea come from elsewhere?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #555 on: August 10, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »
Ray! Very glad to see you up and about on the Forum! things are looking better for your hand? That would really be good news! Keep up the good work! BoomLover!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #556 on: August 12, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »
While watching soomeone shooting firecrackers from a small cannon using a firecracker as their main charge. I figure why not use a small charge of black powder to launch the firecracker instead. I tossed the idea to Michael, He liked it so he made a frew different barrrels.  He fired them over to the R&D department myself :) So I got to test the barrels and find the optimum load to get some distance. Sent my results to Michael Who makes the barrels. Thus became the birth of the Firecracker cannon. Well at least to the best of my knowlege.
   R&D was fun :)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #557 on: August 14, 2010, 12:33:01 PM »
There's no doubt that using a cracker to fire another cracker has been around for a while, but I couldn't find anything about using a small BP charge to propel a cracker; so Ray, you probably is da Man! ;)

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #558 on: August 14, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »
Thanx, I just came up with the idea, Michael made the idea a reality

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #559 on: August 14, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, Ray, but you not off the hook that easy. We have two more barrels for BYCF that need your R&D sign off on and another barrel for the SAMCC thread.

Michael

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #560 on: August 15, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »
I am going to need to find another place to shoot, You can thank my pesky neighbors for that one :(

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #561 on: August 18, 2010, 04:55:11 PM »
Ray,

You should get the 50 that we talked about tomorrow. I did trim the out to out on the trunnions as we discussed. If it is not what you are looking for, I have more in stock and can pop it out in a minute.

Michael                                     

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #562 on: August 30, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
Micheal I recieved the barrel thanks buddy, This past summer I was working on my own therapy, Paddling my Kayak and riding my bike Turning a throttle and playing with clutch and brake lever. Is a pretty good way to strengthen the muscles ) I Just started cleaning the wood shop, And gathe ther projects from the back burner. I can figure I can start playing "catchup in the fall" I will attempt to post a photo of the projects like the Napoleon barrel with the Myrtle wood to make a carraige. There is an assortment of rooks barrels like Dictator mortar barrel (My favorite), A parret barrel, A hex Parrot barrel and a plain FC barrel. These brass barrels Michael made look real good polished up. Yet they fire great  :). I also have a Corhorn barrel that was made by Ed Hart. The quality and sturdiness of the barrels is excellent.
   I do want to thank everybody for their encouragment and support I am hoping by mid Fall early Winter I can start playing catch up

Offline Double D

« Reply #563 on: August 30, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
Ray, glad to see you are on the mend. Let us know when you are well enough for trailer hitch jokes.

Looks like you have bunch of projects ahead of you.

You will like that Myrtlewood to work with, it is very aromatic.  If you have a fireplace save the sawdust and sprinkle some the fire and it will work like incense.  I don't know how dry yhour wood is but it needs to be well aged and good an dry before using.  

Normally Myrtlewood is oiled but that really doesn't show the hidden figure of myrtle.  Myrtle likes to hide its figure. I suggest you sand to 360 grit and finish with a tung oil floor finish.  Fiddleback and flame will jump out at you.  Good figured myrtle can rival Maple for  these characteristics, except darker.

It is good wood for a show piece.  Highly polished brass barrel.  High polished-400 grit hot blued iron hardware.  Wow!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #564 on: August 31, 2010, 11:54:21 AM »
Double D, you got my antenna up talking about that Myrtlewood! I'm really looking forward to Ray's finished project! Really good to see your up and about, Ray! Twisting a throttle and squeezing a brake is great exercise, and paddling your boat will help strengthen the wrist and arm, too! BoomLover

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #565 on: October 02, 2010, 03:53:19 PM »
Had a little time on hands so finally put together an old Brooks firecracker cannon that was sitting in the draw , made a little noise with it out in the yard.. No Bad.. 10 gr. FFF  & Black cat firecracker..

Click on the Link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Qgmj9r2sE

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #566 on: December 17, 2010, 11:03:09 AM »
I figure I would share this with the group Picked up this pair of firecracker cannon off of E-bay. They have no markings. Any ideas of where they come from? I have a fondness of small brass cannon and these are pretty nice. They Just aren't built as tough as nails like the Irishman's cannon. So these are pretty much display peices.

Offline Double D

« Reply #567 on: December 17, 2010, 12:29:12 PM »
Ray good to hear from you, you have been missed.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #568 on: December 17, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »
How's your hand doing?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #569 on: December 17, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »
Good to see you on line, Ray! I have a couple of those firecracker brass cannons too...nice to look at but kind of light weight. Work good with just firecrackers, tho. Hope your hand is still on the mend, and doing good...looking forward to your craftsmanship on the Myrtlewood carriage! BoomLover ...And, a Merry Christmas early, just in case!