Author Topic: Backyard cannon fun  (Read 54038 times)

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2005, 02:22:15 PM »
This time I didn't forget the empty Goex can.  This shot is a micro 24 pounder using a M-BPFC barrel

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2005, 04:54:56 PM »
Sweet carriage, Ray. What did you polish that barrel with?

Michael

Offline Santa Dave

• RBS
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ray,That mortar!
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2005, 08:22:20 PM »
That took my breath away!
That is really nice!
The only thing that interests me me more would be a drawing of a 20" dahlgren! (OMG! what do suppose it weighed?)
For an old TOOT I like heavy metal!
Dave
Wear Something RED on fridayTo show YOUR support for our troops! Even if YOU don't support the war!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2005, 08:49:57 PM »
Didn't think there were any 20" Dahlgrens (actually XX inch Dahlgrens) but I found some; weight 97,300 lbs.

They also made a few 20" Rodmans; weight 116,497 lbs.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2005, 02:01:02 PM »
Micheal, Thanx for the compliment I just used a little Brasso and the brass barrels put up a nice shine. Dave the 20" Dahgrens and the Rodmans look real nice. But I figured to build one full scale I would have logistical problems like trying to fit it in my curio cabinet, or setting it off in my backyard I think the report alone would be enough to level my own house (not good) and unfortunetely leveling some poor soul's house 2 towns over would defintley not be good, HMMMM but maybe a much smaller version, a way much smaller version. would be more practical and sane :grin:

Offline Santa Dave

• RBS
  • GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
20" dahlgrens
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2005, 12:16:51 PM »
In one source they said there were two cast in upstate New York ,right at the end of "the war of Northern Incursion" but were neve finished and were scrapped-- But what a task!  imagine a 100,000 pound+ pour!
what 22 feet long?
Dave
Wear Something RED on fridayTo show YOUR support for our troops! Even if YOU don't support the war!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2005, 01:41:45 PM »
Rodman data--20" at the bottom

Dahlgren data--XX inch at the bottom
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2005, 02:18:37 PM »
O.K. RAY.

I got the message. Soon as I can figure 116,000+ lbs into ounces, wow, about two million ounces. Can we do this in 30 cal? I love to freehand barrels like this.

Michael

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2005, 03:00:56 AM »
Micheal
   We also have to figure out about shipping. Maybe a flat rate box? I don't think I'll be getting any mail after a shipment like that. And I think its going to take alot of Brasso to make that barrel shine. But I bet it would look real sweet made in brass. My arm is sore just thinking of polishing it.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2005, 05:30:44 AM »
While the Barrel on the bottom is not 100% correct, But it looks close enough to the Rodman. And it also being a few pounds lighter than the 100% scale. So in reality it is more feasable to work with. Unfortuntley I don't have that barrel anymore. :cry:  I would have put it on a Rodman type garrison carraige instead of the naval carraige I built it on. Well on the bright side. Napoleon barrel I still have and I am building a carraige for it. Which should be done shortly. I'll post pictures of it soon.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2005, 01:17:10 PM »
I figure I'll post a couple of pics. Of my last project, . While its a little larger than a micro at .50 cal. Unless you have a larger backyard it isn't really the best idea to be launching  "lead ball". But using blank loads I believe it does qualify for "back yard cannon fun" The barrel (Napoleon)is of course made by the Irishman from brooks-usa.com on a 24 pounder" carraige. I noticed in alot of posts that most people prefer the carraige painted. I have been working with Black Walnut and I don't have the heart to  paint over it. Next naval carraige I do I'm going to use a cheaper wood and break out the ole can of Krylon.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2005, 04:14:07 AM »
As the self appointed paint moniter, I say these little jewels are an exception to the paint rule.  Fully accoutered in brass and walnut they are beautiful as built!  NO PAINT!

What I don't like is those guns in which great time and effort have been spent in getting all the details  of arcs, curves and fitting precise and correct.  Great time is spent to paint the metal work black and the carriage is left raw wood color.  It just looks infinshed to my eye.

Someone on the board built a field gun and and made the trim and fittings from brass.  The carriage was left raw either oak and walnut,  I don't remember which.  It was beautiful! I think it was the use of brass as trim that made the difference.    Guns using painted iron fittings and bare wood just look unfinished to me.  

Ray your little all brass beauty's have the Paint Monitors Seal of approval to be unpainted!!!

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2005, 04:58:46 AM »
All of these guns look beautiful.  I like the look of the polished brass and oiled wood but some how they always look like they belong on a mantle.  Painted cannons look like they belong on the field.  There is a place for each.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2005, 11:04:18 AM »
DD & CU
  thanks for the compliments, I think it would be easier, Just to paint them, On my personal cannon I use between 5 to 10 coats of Spar Varnish and I wet sand between coats. sometimes a can of Krylon is tempting. Its true their place is on a mantel or a Curio cabinet  But whats nice is they are 100% functional and I do make it a point to fire each one at least once. I don't think I ever even cut a piece of wood before I got bitten by this "cannon bug" So pretty much I can see the progression of my wood working skills after every carriage I make. I try to strive to make the carriage  just as fine as the barrel. The Irishman does some beautiful work. I Figure I'd throw in a pic of the first cannon I built. coincidentally It has the same type of barrel as my last one.

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2006, 08:05:54 AM »
:D  Just wanted to bring this thread up closer to the More Backyard Cannon Fun thread for those who would like to see the history of dicussion on the minis / micro cannon being discussed in this forum.  We have several new cannon available at: www.brooks-usa   Our inventory is always changing--check often for new items or PM me with any questions or comments.  We will build to spec for you.
     Michael

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Wow... SWEET!!!!
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2006, 10:51:10 AM »
Michael ,

Send me an invoice I want one.. gueZz I'll start collecting a mess of these micros...

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2006, 01:52:06 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures of my Brooks Barrel'ed Mini-Mortar :

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2006, 03:00:39 AM »
Nice job rick where can i get them handles  :lol:[/img][/list][/code]

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2006, 05:06:12 AM »
I use them for various things in my part time leather business, so I have a stock of them.

I get them from a wholesaler than has a $70 minimum order.

You probably don't $70 worth. If you want, you can get them from me. They are fairly cheap. Send me a PM and I'll get you info.

I have them in solid bronze, brass plate and nickel plate. I believe they take a #8 screw, which you will have to come up with at your local hardware store.

I'll be gone for the next week, so if I don't get back to you right way, that is why.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Cool Deal !
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2006, 09:46:10 AM »
I have sent you a message on PM . So when you get back send me an email.

thanks again,
Ed

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2006, 02:34:30 PM »
Rick
  That mortar looks sweet. I think I still have a barrel sitting around. Well I haven't been around much. But this post is a wakeup call to knock the dust off the micro cannon, Because the 4th of July is around the corner. Gotta get ready to make some noise.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Here's My micro mortar barrel from Brooks-USA
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2006, 08:42:59 AM »

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
here's another barrel from Brooks-USA
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2006, 09:17:01 AM »

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
and here are more micro's
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2006, 09:26:20 AM »

The three cannons from the left were purchased BROOKS...

Offline Cannonmaker

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2006, 12:33:37 PM »
El Cazador 66'  I'll bet no one will mess with the plants in your house.

Rick
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2006, 01:17:39 PM »
Cannonmaker good one !!  how can say it, shhhh trying to blend with the decor. You only can imagine what the wife thinks about it.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
NEW handles on mortar bed handles to Rikk
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2006, 02:01:11 PM »

Rickk,

Thanks again  the handles do make the mortar come together.

Ed

Offline freddo

backyard fun
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2006, 05:00:49 AM »
Lovely things. I would like to make a couple but that will have to be in the next life.It seems the rest of this one will be spent finishing the carriage for my 1841 6 pounder field piece.Why did not some of you older men who started young not warn me off?

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2006, 09:47:23 AM »
Seems the thing that takes the longest is growing the tree to make the carriage out of.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2006, 04:49:17 PM »
it doesn't take long to make.

I made mine in about 2 hours (not counting paint drying time).

The wood was scrap that I grabbed out of a pallet company scrap pile. It was going to be firewood, but that particular piece (which was about 16 inches long, 2 inches thick, and 6 inches wide, oak) for some reason I tossed aside instead of tossing it in the stove. It sat in a corner of the basement for a couple years untill I went looking for something to build a mini-mortar base out of.

Anyway, it didn't take long to build.

My 4 year old son (with very close supervision) likes lighting the fuse with a piece of slowmatch.

How many 4 year olds can say they have fired a mortar? I hope he doesn't bring it up in pre-school :-)