Author Topic: Backyard cannon fun  (Read 54041 times)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2006, 05:00:57 PM »

Group Picture Say cheese!!! :lol:

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2006, 06:00:43 PM »
Ah yes those guns look so much better when photographed from the side instead shot down from above!!!

Offline rays89

• Contributor
Re: Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2006, 04:23:14 AM »
I just want to wish every one a happy and safe 4th of July. Do to the Mcmansion being built next door it kind of stalled my activities. But I'm brushing the dust off these little jewels I got from the Irishman and going to someone elses backyard ;D
                                                                                                   Ray

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2006, 12:50:58 AM »
This was a fast turn around., to get a 4th of July mini-mortar., for firing in the city limits.., I was unable to fly beer cans in town  ::)  Anyway Brooks USA said they would get it here in time and they did. We had a lot of fun with it. for now it is on my desk-top .,lookin cool and holding 4 pens !!!     ;D      ;D       ;D      ;D       ;D       ;D       ;D       ;D       ;D 

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2006, 02:09:31 AM »
Hi Tropico,

Nice Mortar what size Barrel is that. Could send me the drawings for that mount. I also really like the look on your 1" naval carriage. Oh by the way who did you do business with over at Brooks from my understanding Michael has been really ill.

Thanks,
EL

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2006, 02:48:32 PM »
The size of the mortar is Brooks USA's largest dictator., it is the 1" bore. This would be 4 1/2 in length and 2 3/4 in diameter with 1" x 1' trunnions. I believe Michael has not been feeling well ., thats true. I had to wait a bit for my mortar however they responded right away and let me know about Michael and asked me if I wanted it.  For me I thought it would be worth it....., and it was.  Would I do it again..., YES., in a heartbeat.. They communicate very well. I recieved some correspondeance from JB and Michael.

About the Design ., Its just out of my head.,from I see in internet black and white photos  but my cardboard cut out I made is still on the table saw and you could have it., or I could scan it ., it is 3/4 oak ., just 3 pieces ., (2 sides and a floor) PM if need be.
Rich

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2006, 06:51:11 PM »
More backyard "Poppin" . I was pretty excited about this new little cannon to add to my 1 inch artillery. I am having so much fun with this size.,its so compact and and yet romps a pretty good thump. The cannon came from ebay and then I cleaned it up after an inspect. Then of course the Brooks USA 1" Dictator. Its so cool to make up a bunch of pre-load foil charges that are usable with several guns. It really makes loading fast and enjoyable. The best part is so far all the foil is blown clear after each inspect. The vents are all scraping the very back of the barrel and I believe I am literally scraping the foil open top to bottom across the breach. I havent had to worm once. 
;D   
;D 

;D 

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2006, 03:38:32 AM »
HI Tropico,

I've got a Dictator coming as well.

What are you using for a load, and what are the details of your aluminum foil charge (sounds tricky due to the smaller size)?

Rick

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2006, 06:31:21 AM »
PM sent.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2006, 07:58:46 AM »
HI Rick.....Get ready for some fun ;D .....I just checked with the USPS website....they say your package was in Springfield yesterday.....and is now enroute to you.....you should receive your new mortar any minute! jb

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »
irishman... glad I saw your post. I came in the house by the back door... when I saw your post I checked on the front porch and there it was :-)

Nice...

now for some wood working fun !

Rick

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2006, 12:05:21 PM »
Tropico,

what is your tunnion cap bending technique?

For that matter, what is everyone else's technique for bending them for mini-s?

I am planning on using brass stock.

Rick

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2006, 02:03:35 PM »
Trunnion cap bending technique aye?
For me its easy., I drill the hole for your trunnions first then cut a piece of 1" water pipe in half for its length. then set it on the trunnion with the cannon in place., If its good its good..., if its not., I hold the peice of water pipe with a vise grip and grind it until it does fit., then I have a pice of steel welded on either side., then I drill the steel ..., then set the cannon and the cap in place and I can then drill the wood a bit for bolt hole location.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2006, 02:13:58 AM »
I was wondering how you got it so perfectly round.... sneaky trick :-)

Maybe I'll try the same thing with brass pipe and brass flat stock and some solder. The solder will dis-color it a bit, but shouldn't be too bad if the excess is sanded/buffed off.

Guess I gotta go see if they have 1 " ID brass pipe at the hardware store.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2006, 03:45:08 AM »
Get some one to tig weld the brass, its not hard and it almost matches color.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2006, 04:23:03 AM »
Ya, I guess I could do that, but it would require finding someone with TG, sweet-talking him and giving him a case of beer that I would rather drink myself :-)

The soldered area will be hidden somewhat by the trunniion bolts. I found some brass acron nuts, so that will help distract one from the solder.

If it doesn't look good when I am done, they are easily replaced, or I can paint them black and hide the mess.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere a brass colored solder that was intended for doing just this task... I'll have to look around and see if I can find it again.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2006, 02:48:50 PM »
Apparently there is no commonly available brass pipe in the plumbing stores that is 1 inch. The closest looked like is was about 3/16" too big.

I tried bending some flat stock. It got ugly fast.

Looks like I'll look for some 1" ID steel pipe. I've got a MIG welder, so the sticking together part will be free.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2006, 04:13:48 PM »
I found some steel pipe at the hardware store. It ws a tad undersize, but that wasn't an issue. I didn't measure it, but the wall thickness is prolly something like .062.

I cut two pieces .75 wide, then cut about 40 percent away. I had a piece of thick walled pipe that was 1 inch OD, so I forced the pipe pieces over it to open it up to proper size. The I filed the cut ends of the pieces to proper length to fit over the trunions and just touch the wooden base (just like Tropico did I believe),

Then I cut  4 pieces of .125 thick, .75 wide, 1 inch long flat steel.

I decided to braze rather than weld, as I figured I would cut thru the thin walled pipe before I was finished.

I took another piece of the .75 inch stock and stuck it in my vice so that about half of the side was sticking up above the vice for the entire length of the jaws. This made a nice straight edge. I put the half-section of pipe with two flat pieces all end to end on the top of one of the vice jaws, up against the piece of flat stock sticking out of the jaws. The flat stock in the vice jaws made for a straightedge and helped to keep everything straight during the brazing.

I welded it with an oxy-propane curring torch. If you try it with a 1 pound cylinder MAPP gas torch, the vice may soak up alot of heat and you may have a harder time reaching brazing temperatures.. Some sort of different jig that draws less heat away would maybe work better for you if that is what you want to use.

the first side came out OK, the second side nicer. You really want to get it hot so the braze rod flows nicely. I used a flux coated rod, but added addtional flux powder as well. The added flux seemed to help and allow for less heat to be used. Remember that you need to get the flat stock resting on the vice hot, and not let the 1/2 round pipe that is stilcking up in the air get so hot that it starts to burn. Focus most of the heat on the flat piece.

It's 100 degrees here at 8 PM tonight, and the torch made it hotter. I'll drill the holes in the trunnion caps tomorrow night.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2006, 07:22:39 AM »
Done... shot it already as well.

Sounded about like a 12 gauge shotgun... very impressive :-)

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2006, 08:36:47 AM »
YES !!![/size]

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2006, 01:37:43 PM »
I've been shooting this thing all afternoon.

It is the most bang for my buck I have ever had :-)

Tropico, the pictures you posted of yours... were they taken before you fired it for the first time (as were mine)?

Mine is patina'ed already :-) Amazing what a few hours of exposure to BP residue will do.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2006, 03:06:54 PM »
True., however after firing I clean with a BP solvent (Same as my flinters) then I polish it a bit with "Never Dull" and it looks like a piece of gold again., I clean it jus like you would a pistol ...., I like it shiny sittin on my desk..., I cant help it., if its brass or bronze it gets "Never Dull" ASAP.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2006, 04:05:13 PM »
Somehow, Tropico, those pictures sort of say 'hand cannon' to me. ;D
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2006, 08:03:26 AM »
I love this stuff Jeeper1 This little Hand Cannon is something I dangle from my belt when I attend piratical events. Its for looks., but it is .32 caliber and vented *Wicked-Wicked-Grin*

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2006, 08:50:11 AM »
Hey Tropico,
Awesome Hand Gonne can you give the history on this little blaster.

El

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2006, 06:54:25 AM »
I sure wish I could give some back ground.,I aquired it quite some time back but not from the maker., but I have always wanted a few more casted because people have asked for one. It would be a neat little project if anyone is interested.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2006, 04:33:48 PM »
I've been shooting this thing all afternoon.

It is the most bang for my buck I have ever had

Thanks for the compliment, Rick!  BTW and FYI if your buddies think these are too loud for their backyards, I just posted the little sister (a 62 cal Dictator Mortar) for sale at www.brooks-usa.com here's her picture--she can speak, too!

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: October 26, 2006, 05:28:10 AM »
I noticed on the first post on this thread the link to the short movie of the BPFC is dead, So I decided to repost with a fresh link for those who haven't seen it. Its a short one for those who are bandwidth challenged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SngKysVyG-g

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »
 here's a few of my collection barrels by brooks...   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw4YmbnBwKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXnb51SitI4   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj6-2Mg5LPU                                                                           Always tons of fun !!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2006, 02:00:32 PM »
btt
Don't want this thread to get lost. Too popular and too much fun.