Author Topic: Backyard cannon fun  (Read 54066 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #210 on: July 03, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
I wish I could see a social gathering with contributor/members and their collections.

We're too spread out.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2008, 01:07:52 AM »
I wish I could see a social gathering with contributor/members and their collections.

We're too spread out.

BUT, you can CREATE your own.  How about the First Annual Open Catskill Mountains Mortar and Cannon Shootoff?

Then all you have to do is find a place and establish a date.

We're looking at the Second Annual New River Valley Open Mortar and Cannon Firepower Demonstration in September.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2008, 06:05:00 AM »
We already have Westerlo N.Y. July 19th & 20th which is just above the Catskills. Twenty miles SW of Albany, 130 miles NE of Binghamton and about 50 miles from me as the cannon ball flys.  I haven't been there for over 20 years but I am going this year on the 20th to watch the cannon & mortar competition. Easy enough with NYS Twy to Ravena and 10 miles west to Westerlo.

Has anyone ever entertained using a golf driving range off season for a golf ball mortar shoot? Bowling balls would be prohibitive at a driving range and tough to do in the bowling alley with the low ceilings. I know that down south, there is no "off season" for any activity.

Richard "The Idea Guy".
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #213 on: July 04, 2008, 06:30:17 AM »
Has anyone ever entertained using a golf driving range off season for a golf ball mortar shoot? Bowling balls would be prohibitive at a driving range and tough to do in the bowling alley with the low ceilings. I know that down south, there is no "off season" for any activity.

It has crossed my mind often, but I've yet to go to someone nearby to check out the options.

There are enough of them around (golf ball caliber mortars) to warrent initiating an event.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #214 on: July 04, 2008, 06:36:24 AM »
Well I am going to wish everybody a happy and especially a safe 4th of July. Just showing I am getting ready to celebrate. I got my cannon, pound of goex FFG, And 1000 black cats So I am ready to rock en roll.  But wait where is my fuse? Oh man I gotta roll and look for it see ya
                                                                                                                                                 Ray

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #215 on: July 04, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »

Rich,

Back to M-BPFC. Thanks for your post. I am happy that USPS came thru in time for the 4th! Directions be damned, there are only a few on this board with more experience than you. This firecracker launcher teaches discipline. If you follow the devil, (the one standing on your left shoulder) to use more powder, it won't work! The cracker detonates in the barrel....doesn't even make more noise.

« Reply #206 on: Yesterday at 02:45:14 PM »   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael
My M-BPFC arrived today 

Michael

Offline Santa Dave

• RBS
  • GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2008, 07:49:18 AM »
I figured a way to insure the firecracker lights at longer ranges. you take the firecracker and trim a little off the fuse and then dip the end (1/4 inch) in white glue and water mixture and then in powder and let it dry. seems to work every time!

we fired on a dark street and it is impressive everybody wanted one!

Santa Dave, Now walking without a cane, And , I have a girl (?) friend! What else do you call them when they are 62? ::)
Wear Something RED on fridayTo show YOUR support for our troops! Even if YOU don't support the war!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »
Congrats to you Santa Dave on regaining your health and getting a girl friend to boot. It's great to
hear that you are shooting again. I am also a shootaholic and hope that a cure is never created.
Cheers!!!!!!!!!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2008, 08:19:11 PM »
Dave,

I was kinda watching the news for Idaho, waiting for the Headlines saying "Santa jailed for firing cannon in town!"

I guess my little visit helped get you on the path to better health--glad I helped you with getting the right medicine your cannon problem...girlfirend problems, well buddy you are on your own there, just remember we warned you.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2008, 02:56:10 AM »
The Irishman fired over a 1 inch bore "Dictator barrel"  Which also got me motivated to build a battery of seacoast mortars. I also had a .50 cal. laying on my work bench for awhile.. I notice I am going to have some logistical problems due to  all are all of different caliber and I don't live on the seacoast. Well I guess I can lay seige and capture the neighbors sandbox. Just kidding...........

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2008, 02:47:49 PM »
After all the fun I had at the 4'th of July festivities with my Brooks BPFC .

My friends and family asked about one of their own. I took a list of 8 people I could make these for as gifts then I asked Michael if we could use another barrel he has on the website that would still fire the firecracker.., Michael said he had what I needed. He sent 8 ., and the wheels.

So I found myself doing 8 carriages.

I left them over at Dads for a few days for stain and Polyeuathane ., and my father is having fun  ;D

this was a photo of the original  BPFC and the jumbo sized we built . Now it is time to hannd these out to thier new owners.
Michael these will make fine memories.., Thank You Sir .

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #221 on: July 28, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »
Tropico
    Those are some nice carraiges. Red oak?   Which barrel are those? The .30 cal. Mountain Howitzers?

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #222 on: July 29, 2008, 07:15:55 AM »
Thank You ! Yup Red Oak ., and they are the .30 cal Mountain Howitzer . ;D

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2008, 07:17:19 AM »
Rich,

I enjoyed getting the "eight pack" to you. I knew that you would do the carriages justice...you always do. Those were the first 1 1/4 dia wheels that I turned, but, the castle! was awesome!!

Just finished the 1" wheels for you. They are still warm, but, ups just left. Will ship tomorrow.

Michael

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2008, 12:08:12 PM »
Michael .,  We are grateful   ;D ., and the 1" wheels are perfect. This new BPFC cannon is great. After measuring for axels we decided it deserved a more complete look ., so we added a few modifications to it. Please excuse the date ., this camera is having fits.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2008, 05:54:30 AM »
How did I miss this?  Really nice and it qualifies for my new "Rambo Doll Award"; the one that separates the men from the boys with breechblock cannon. :o

Richard "The Crusader"
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #226 on: August 19, 2008, 07:46:10 AM »
I think Owen needs to start his own thread on this one, she definitely is being overlook.. NICE!!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2008, 03:12:42 PM »
Hi , I just joined the site . My Bookes fire cracker mortar got here the day B4 the 4rh of July . Since I've been shooting it almost everyday . I've figured out some stuff , it is very reliable with 4-5 secs of "flight time" . Barely makes any noise after reworking the HE "shells" into smoke so you can tell where they  land and would go bang .

It sounds silly but I've learned a lot from dinging w/ it for a few weeks . I have to cut fuses when shot at normal elevation to get an air burst . It's amazing how fast these thing are 1-2 secs get it from one end of the yard and burst in the air .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2008, 04:47:38 PM »
It seems like alot of research and developement has been made since I played witht the prototype a few years back

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »
I've been shooting Bookes USA enhanced .30 mortar since I got it on the 3rd of July . I learned some and made a slight change .

Regular firecrackers worked OK but w/ only about two seconds of flight time ,ok for a shell gun or howie . 

So I got some fancy firecrackers "Blackcat brand" has them , I like "Bunker Busters" better . Both brands come in 100 packs bulk packed not woven together like regulars . The best thing about these firecrackers is they have nice little green cannon fuse :o .

I 've gotten up to 5-6 secs flight time w/ them . They are the same size firecracker as usual , the construction is  differant though, they use a tiny bit of powder w/ over half the "shell" filled w/ clay plugs on each end more . 

ONE problem the better fuse is thicker (.050") ,meaning tight bore ,so tight that what usually happened was Blammo everything goes off in the bore ..... I bored it out to .310". and now use 5 grains of powder . I usually also leave a bit of gap between the powder and bottom of shell . It seems to light them better . If I was to have realized that I would have drilled only most of the tube leaving a bit of a chamber in the bottom . The cleaner the bore the longer the flight time it seems , as the bore gets dirty more pressure seems to light up on the fuse somewhere so time is shorter . Times are very reliable right at 5 secs when the bore is clean .

Now I tape the fuse down along the side of the "shell" exposing only the tip so it won't want to light up on the fuse somewhere . Then for reliability I paint on a slury from tip of fuse to the bottom of the shell basicly in touch w/ the powder except for the small gap I try to leave .  I dont think there would be any problem timing them for airbust , but it's a hoot popping them across the yard in high arc then watch them sit and sizzle then bang . 

The better class cracker are $1.25 per 100

rocklock

rocklock
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2008, 07:31:11 AM »
My website was lost in its entirety on August 31rst. Therefore we purchased a 10 year host for our domain Tropico . Now I can repost more pics here are the last of the 8-pak pics we did from Michael.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »
   Congrats on the beautiful twins; great work!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »
Tropico
     That is an impresive pair of cannon.  I am in awe. Did you make the matching barrels to go with them? I am looking for a small wooden banded bucket on my current project.
                                                       Keep up the great work
                                                                                      Ray

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #233 on: October 22, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »
Tropico,

What a Patroit you are! # 7 and 8 turned out super as usual and the wheels look good. Lots of new comming soon.  It's time to think Christmas! .......and Santa Dave

I hope your web can be retrieved. Alot of great cannon/diving/life there.

Michael

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2008, 09:43:16 AM »
I was browsing auctions (not E-bay) and found this. Lookie here I think the Irishman is holding out on me. It is an Artillery red M-BPFC cannon. I know Greybeard has an Eagle eye on these posts, And I believe it Was DD who said he like painted cannons Well here is one that is painted the proper color. And it is a sponsor And I know it is fromm Brooks-USA because I know his work and I do know his screenname on his auctions.  Looks like I got to have a little talk to the Irishman for holding out on me on his little secrets.

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #235 on: January 25, 2009, 05:42:21 AM »
Am I the only one that looks at the classified section in this forum? Since it is cold out to acually pop off a few shots. It is building time!!!! So I decided to order a few barrels from the Irishman. If you noticed I did not have vents drilled as special order, Normally the come with them. Now I actually something to do this winter besides play with matches. Time to open up the wood shop and do some building. I do have some ideas on the M-BPFC barrels such as a split rail carriaige. And some others But I am wondering does anybody have any ideas of other types of carraiges I can try to build with the old scroll saw? I have plenty of wood and a sharp blade but I can use some ideas from the group.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #236 on: January 25, 2009, 05:49:50 AM »
My next infusion of cash will be exchanged for a Brooks Cannon.  Might even use some danish oiled fancy figured myrtle wood for carriage

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2009, 08:12:18 AM »
rays89 I would like to see a small galloper with a couple of the firecracker howitzers . A pair would be cool.  I dont have a galloper and need one .,(prferably a pair for bookends)  Good luck with whatever you choose . that larger barrel looks pretty interesting  ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2009, 10:58:09 AM »
I'd like to second the idea !  ;D

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2009, 01:54:33 AM »
What is a Galloper? Anybody have a picture?  I have been working alot and had had a chance to make any sawdust.