Author Topic: Backyard cannon fun  (Read 54075 times)

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Backyard cannon fun
« Reply #270 on: February 14, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »
DD
  I found your flyer. It wasn't to hard I followed the links on "I am grumpy this morning". And I will post it here for everyone to see. Forthuntly it is in August. Just have to see how my job holds out or even get the day s off even though I do have a few credits for canceled flights. My girlfriend can be temperamental at times Yikes. It would be cool to get some true training on the arts of muzzle loading artillary. Lobbing firecrackers can be fun or launching few golf balls. But to learn how to actually aim the "gun" so it hits the paper. Now I can see acually weighing each projectile and doing precise powder loads for optimum accuracy.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #271 on: February 14, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
Ray,

Have you been following this thread http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,159589.0.html ?

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #272 on: February 14, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »
DD
  I just caught the thread. The first thought even though off subject is that is M1 Garand territory. Give me a ammo box of lake city rounds and my M1 and I would be a happy camper. I never needed to reload those rounds for accuracy.
  My artillery doesn't even need that much room. I would say the brass Parrot which would fire a .68 cal. ball about 500 yards max with a conservative 50 grain load of FFG. That would be maximum range and not max effective range.<Just a guess. That is one of the reasons I haven't fired it. Plus I don't want to clean all that brass. As for Dom's golfball dictator mortar. Max range is unknown. The largest load I have used is one third of the max. To use the Max load I am going to overshoot the impact area. Which is not a wise descion.

Offline Double D

« Reply #273 on: February 14, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »
We are going to shoot the with outs sights seminar at 25 yards for the little guns and probably 50 yards for the big guns. 40 to 90 grains would be a perfect load for the 69 at 25 yards.

Other than to clean the black powder fouling out of the bore, I don't under stand clean the brass, why? :)

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #274 on: February 14, 2009, 05:20:28 PM »
I guess I like cleaning the brass is because the Irishman's brass barrels are works of art. And they are pretty much 100% funtional display pieces. I pretty much keep the Parrot gun in prestine condtion but sooner or later I know I have to try it. I have had several brook-USA barrels and fired a few of them. But afterwards they get brassoed and placed on the shelf. Or I might sell them for another project. Right now I have a Brooks Brass .50 cal barrel waiting for a carraige Plus a few of his small M-BPFC barrels. Normally I would use Black walnut but maybe I will try some other exotic wood.
   It would be nice to use a Nonbrass small bore cannon with a rifled barrel that shoots bolts. Doing just a little R&D with powder loads and weighting each bolt I think I could get a good group in. But like you said no sights yikes. That can prove a challenge just to hit the paper.

Offline Double D

« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »
Ray,

Bring your guns out to Montana and shoot them then take them home and brasso them.  Actually what you should look at is some of the chemicals used for applying patina.  Once you brown one of the barrels you will be surprised how nice they look. Much more protective of the metal than a bare metal brass barrel.  Brasso its self is very hard in brass.  The folks selling the patina chemicals also have some protective polished brass finishes. You might take a look at them.  http://www.sculptnouveau.com/

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2009, 05:40:12 PM »
DD
  I am a veteran patina on brass is a crime.......I have polished quite a bit of brass in my day. Everytime I see patina on my brass barrel I almost automaticly drop down and give 20   lol

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »
DD, really like those patinas! I'll save this with the other patina site you posted, good for bronze or brass! (and iron, too!) I did enough brass polishing in the Navy, thank you! I'd like to look at the stuff all corroded looking and know that I made it that way on purpose! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »
I have been multitasking so it took awhile to finish this M-BPFC cannon. I was working on a model power boat in the backround. I was having delusional thoughts of adding a couple of the Irishman's mountain howitzers to the bow. So I can send a few of those model sailboats to "davie Jone's locker" and watch the owner drop his glass of Chivas regal. While I am chugging down a Bud giggling. But further thought would be trouble with the authorities and a black mark on this hobby so I guess I will pass on those thoughts.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:30 AM »
Hey DD if you get some firecrackers , make sure to get a box ,not on a string of the red firecrackersw/small green cannon fuse . Blackcat offers them as well as other makers .

They are constructed diferant too. They are much more reliable "shells" than the normal firecrackers .

Normal ones are fun too but real quick

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #280 on: March 03, 2009, 05:04:45 AM »
Ray,

Bring your guns out to Montana and shoot them then take them home and brasso them.  Actually what you should look at is some of the chemicals used for applying patina.  Once you brown one of the barrels you will be surprised how nice they look. Much more protective of the metal than a bare metal brass barrel.  Brasso its self is very hard in brass.  The folks selling the patina chemicals also have some protective polished brass finishes. You might take a look at them.  http://www.sculptnouveau.com/

DoubleD, Thanks for the web site, just recieved my kit this weekend test them on my brooks 24 pounder desk top cannon and my brit mortar.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #281 on: March 03, 2009, 05:42:10 AM »
El Caz...that patina looks great on both of them! Which one did you use? I have been looking at the patina site, tring to make up my mind...I do like the brown, tho! Thanks, BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #282 on: March 03, 2009, 06:03:01 AM »
Hey BoomL, I used the Birchwood casey antique Brown Gel (M-38).. easy to use..

Offline Double D

« Reply #283 on: March 03, 2009, 06:12:43 AM »
Hey that looks great. 

The next gun in my Inventory was going to be a Brooks...then reality bit my 401K

Offline tesavis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »
No Double D,

Then Obamha hit your 401K ::)

Offline Double D

« Reply #285 on: March 03, 2009, 09:31:13 AM »
I blame neither Obama nor Bush for the ills of my 401K.  Neither had anything to do with it.  But that's politics and we don't do politics here.  We don't swear either and both the economy and politics make me want to.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #286 on: March 03, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »
if I got it right the only aloved political discussions here at the cannon forum is :

polished or patina ??
painted or oil polished ??

or ??   ;D ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

« Reply #287 on: March 03, 2009, 10:51:15 AM »
Yes Dan that is correct...those are acceptable political topics.

I have less objection to oiled wood than to polished brass.

Highly polished brass gathers light and makes the piece looked washed out and fades the nice sharp lines and detail of the gun barrel.  The patina gives the barrel a soft look with good contrast accenting the details.  Highly polished barrels look like garrish ornaments.

I guess it stems back to my old Marine days when anything brass was shined. Mindless needed waste of time shining objects that were brass because they were brass or copper and no other reason...the ground rod for a electical breaker box!   I recalled the SGT MAJ of the MARINES argue on the TV news for keeping mess duty for enlisted Marines, he said "Polishing brass and pulling mess duty builds charactor"  Then why the heck didn't the Officers and Staff NCO's not do it.  There sure were bunch of them who could have used some charactor...and this will get me started on my "hallowed Marines..." So I'll move on.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #288 on: March 03, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
both heavy patinated barrels and highly polished barrels can be beautiful .
as long as its not an antique barrel thats polished .

its difficult to make an authentic patina on a newly produced barrel , but some day I hope to be able to start experimenting in that area also .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #289 on: March 03, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »
Personally, I'd rather "Patina Once" than "Polish Forever"...(with a touch-up once in awhile!) Ah, if it could only be that easy! BoomLover

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2009, 12:39:10 PM »
I dont know how it works with the "synthetic" patina .

if you have patinated an barrel , will it still develope the real patina by age ??
or have you "sealed" it with the chemicals ??

it would be nice to know as I probably not will live long enough to find out the result  ;D ;D

but most of all antique cannons have been more or less polished after they was cast .

for an average polished bronze casting it will take 30 - 40 years to develope an deep brown inside patina .
the deep green color you can have from keeping the piece outside close to the sea in 3 - 5 years .
here in the inland where I lives with approximately 200 miles to the closest salt water the bronze are more likely to turn black and it will take much longer time . so one possibility for me is to use battery acid  ;D  that will turn the bronze green .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline rays89

• Contributor
« Reply #291 on: March 05, 2009, 04:08:10 PM »
Seeing patina on brass gives me flashbacks of when Drill Sargent Rimmer found a finger print on my "polished"  brass beltbuckle. Thinking about it now still makes me want to curl up into the "fetal position"  :o

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #292 on: March 05, 2009, 04:20:03 PM »
Ray,

DoubleD, Thanks for the web site, just recieved my kit this weekend test them on my brooks 24 pounder desk top cannon and my brit mortar.

Ed,

Your patina looks better than oak leaves make my brass look....I stand down.

Michael
                                                              brooks-usa.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2009, 06:15:24 PM »
Seeing patina on brass gives me flashbacks of when Drill Sargent Rimmer found a finger print on my "polished"  brass beltbuckle. Thinking about it now still makes me want to curl up into the "fetal position"  :o

Yes he stood there and reamed you while wearing his anodized brass buckle.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2009, 08:21:23 PM »
Actually I think the lifers had their brass gold plated so it wouldn't change color.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #295 on: March 07, 2009, 08:00:50 PM »
I really do like that Brit Mortar...I think that will be one of my next 3 projects..A Mini-Brit! Already have the barrel, 2" long, 1" OD, now I've got to do the bed next. BoomLover

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #296 on: March 08, 2009, 10:42:42 AM »
I like these mortars too.  8) I am going to build a couple of minis and a small golfball also.  I fell in love with cutting the taper on these Parrotts and need to finish these two before next project.  They need trunnions, vents and stamping....and last, but NOT LEAST, the   

final polishing!

Think SPRING and Backyard Cannon FUN !!! 
                                                       Michael

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #297 on: March 08, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »
How much are those little Parrot guns ? I didn't them on your site .

rocklockI
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #298 on: March 08, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »
How much are those little Parrot guns ? I didn't them on your site .

rocklockI
You are right, not listed on our site yet...these Parrotts are in prototype mode at the moment, but I fully expect to include them for Backyard Cannon Fun real soon.  Here's a pic of our 69cal Parrott, in stock; as listed in GBO classifieds and on our site: www.brooks-usa.com 

Thanks for checking!  Will post progress on the "little ones," then pricing asap.
                                                      Michael       

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #299 on: March 09, 2009, 07:50:35 AM »
Hey, Rock--
The little Parrott will be ready to ship on Friday. 

It is out of 1" stock, 6 1/2" long, with 30 cal bore.  The price on this barrel is $65 and I will pay the freight for GBO members.

FYI: The big one is out of 1  1/2" stock,  11 1/2" long, with 50 cal bore.  $150 to GBO members, free freight.

Michael