Author Topic: Need Advice on What .44 Mag to Buy  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Mainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Need Advice on What .44 Mag to Buy
« on: May 21, 2005, 04:39:06 PM »
I've got it in my head that I need a .44 Mag. handgun.  I have no particular need for one, but it would fill a hole in my handgun battery.  Also, it would make for great fun at the range.

The problem is which model to buy.

Intended roles:

(1) Informal target shooting at the range;

(2) Home defense with either .44 Spc. loads or "light" .44 Mag loads (I have other defensive handguns);

(3) Possible future handgun hunting (whitetail deer most likely, possibly black bear over bait, conceivably wild hogs).

Based on the above, I think the min. barrel length should be 4 5/8 and the max should be 7 1/2.  I haven't decided between single or double action.  I am even toying with the idea of a single shot.

This is as narrow as I can make the list:

Single Shot:
10" Thompson Center Contender (I know this isn't a defensive piece)

Double Action:
5 1/2 SS Ruger Redhawk
7 1/2 SS Ruger Redhawk
6 1/2 SS Taurus 44M
6 1/2 SS Taurus Raging Bull
5 SS S&W 629
6 1/2 SS S&W 629

Single Action:
4 5/8, 5 1/2, or 7 1/2 SS Ruger Super Blackhawk
7 1/2 Ruger Bisley

Although I could probably swing it, the price of Freedom Arms guns makes me cringe, so the S&W guns are probably the top of my price range.

The robustnest of the Rugers is a plus to me, but some of their quality control issues are a minus.

Kindly refrain from Taurus bashing unless you have had or have witnessed first hand a bad experience with a Taurus revolver.  I recently purchased my wife a Taurus Tracker and so far it has proven to be a fine gun.

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents' worth on this one!!
NRA Life Member

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 06:17:38 PM »
My choice would be, either the 5 1/2 SS Ruger Redhawk or the 5 SS S&W 629.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 06:19:26 PM »
How about the Ruger KSRH-7? You can scope it later if you're so inclined.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline RCL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 01:29:18 AM »
You can't really argue with any of your choices, they are all good, but you will need to find the best one for you.
I currently have .44 Mags in a 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley, a 5 1/2" Redhawk, and a 4 " S & W 629 Mountain Gun. I've owned many others that I sold because they didn't suit me for some reason.
Just a few thoughts......

I had a 10" Contender and it was the hardest recoiling handgun I've ever shot, harder than my Freedom Arms .454. Something with the grips or the way it fit my hand.

I've found the longer barrels make better hunting arms, easier to aim and hit with. Shorter barrels are probably better for a defensive need.

I had a 7 1/2" Redhawk and it felt muzzle heavy to me. I like the 5 1/2 " much better. Nothing against longer barrels, I prefer them, but with the Redhawk shorter was better.

Not bashing Taurus here, but the few I've seen (my brothers) didn't come up to the accuracy levels of Smiths or Rugers. Nothing drastic, just not quite there. Other than that they seem to be good tough guns.

The Freedom Arms guns are worth every penny you pay for them. If you were to take a Ruger and send it to Bowen to get the work done to it to bring it up to that level, you would spend more money and still have a Ruger.

Just my opinions, FWIW  :D
Robert Leggett
"You sure you know how to skin grizz pilgrim?"

Offline Mayor of Hobbs Knob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 01:40:13 AM »
You owe it to yourself to check out the Dan Wesson!

Mayor
"It is better to be quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 03:03:15 AM »
Mainer - If you want to use the same revolver for informal target shooting, home and personal defense as well as whitetail hunting and other field uses, get the S&W.  The triggers are much nicer on the S&W than on the Ruger, the hammer fall is about 2 tons less, there is nothing less robust about todays S&Ws than the Rugers, a 4" S&W M29 is handier than just about any other revolver I have ever handled, save the K-frames, so a 5" should be excellent, the S&W is easier to pack than the Ruger (JMHO), a 4-5" 629 will do anything you want a 44 mag to do, and you can dress a factory S&W and take'r out anywhere (lol).

Now, of course this is all just my opinion, having owned both types of revolvers, but the last time I went hog huntin' with my 4" M29, a 295 gn swc over a healthy dose of H110 seriously rearranged the skull structure of a 400 lb Russian Boar and left me with a whole bunch of fabulously delicious sausage and chops.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 03:09:15 AM »
Rugers are great,have you ever looked at a Dan Wesson? CZ owns them now.....

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 03:15:32 AM »
look at the post by cobrad on the Dan Wesson forum  below on the Greybeard forums.......

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 03:47:40 AM »
If I was to buy another .44 magnum, I'd buy a Ruger Bisley.  While not as easily found now, I'd prefer another one of the stainless Acusport Bisleys (5 1/2" bbl).   The regular cataloged one is very nice as well.
  This is of course from one Mainer to another.  :wink:
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 03:55:41 AM »
I thought you guys would help me out by narrowing the list!! :grin:   Now, I've got to look into Dan Wesson.  The interchangeable barrels might be just the ticket.

I quickly looked at Dan Wesson on the CZ website.  The line now appears to be only 1911-style autos.  GunsAmerica has a few Dan Wesson revolvers on its site.  Only a handful in .44 Mag.  The prices are all over the place.

At the moment the front runners are the 5" 629 and the 5 1/2" Redhawk, but there's something alluring about the SBHs.
NRA Life Member

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 04:15:59 AM »
No, they still offer revolvers, have to dig deeper in their site or call them........

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 04:43:59 AM »
Damn....  tough choice..

You picked fine selection to choose from, thats for sure.

Being a single action fan, I'd pick the 5 1/2" SBH.  ...then the 7 1/2" SS SBH.

...but really, you cant go wrong with any of them.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 09:43:53 AM »
Just go ahead and get the dang FA and be done with it. That way you won't have to say later that "I sure wish I'd have gotten a FA instead". If you don't get it you will be saying it.

I've had my share of troublesome Taurus guns, read about them on the Taurus Forum. Way too many Ruger barrels are coming uncrewed these days. Just break down and spend the money, you've admitted you can. Buy the FA.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 10:22:16 AM »
like g.b. said,  ruger seems to have a big problem with their guns of late.  no way i would buy another.  

if you can swing the coin for the f.a., and you are plan to do some serious handgunning,  dont waste time dinking with anything else.  i have never heard a f.a. owner say they regret buying the f.a..   it is a chunk of change for sure.  i spent as much with three different blackhawks, and proceeded to have all of them have the barrels unscrew, within days of season opening.  three guns!!!!  so all the rugers are gone, and replaced with a f.a. 44 magnum.   and i dont regret it.   i shot some good groups with my rugers (3" at 75 yards),  but have shot even better with my f.a.(one hole group at 50 yards).  

i have never shot a dan wesson,  they may be very fine-i have never heard a dan wesson owner talk about regreting buying a dan wesson, either.    the smiths are nice, too (their politics suck, though).   i had a taurus in 454 that was really nice;  i think a raging bull in 44 would be o.k..  but others have had their problems with taurus.

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2005, 11:12:37 AM »
I have serious doubts about my ability to explain to my wife's satisfacion spending $1k-$2k on a handgun!! :grin:

There is a used FA .454, 7.5", field grade, w/Mag-Na-Porting for sale about an hour drive from me.  $1,025.  Described as being in 95% condition.

It's not a .44, and it has a longer barrel than what I would buy, but it doesn't sound like a bad price.  I could purchase .45 ACP or .45 Colt cylinders for $353.00 each, but in that case I should just buy a new gun in the caliber I want.

All things considered, S&W's 629s are starting to look better and better.
NRA Life Member

Offline Mayor of Hobbs Knob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 01:15:33 AM »
Mainer--I saw the FA you are referring to.  It has been there for several months and I think there are reasons for that.  It looked pretty rough to me.  Certainly a lot of people have looked at it like I did and decided it just wasn't worth THAT much.

Mayor
"It is better to be quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 07:56:36 AM »
Mainer first off good to see other mainers like myself on this site. I tell you if money was a object I would have to say go with the SBH 5 1/2 barrel in stainless I have had the 4 5/8 and a 7.5 and am considering a 5.5 for myself. Every one needs trigger work and if the barrel thing with new rugers bothers you look for a older one lot's of SBH in all the shops around here have them for decent prices. Plus you can load the SBH to the moon if you want with out worrying about damaging it . If money was no object I'd do what GB said and go FA all the way.

Offline Camp Cook

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 08:14:35 AM »
I suggest you do what I'm doing right now. I am purchasing a used 6" 629 made in 1981. I am going to be using the gun for basically the same reasons that you listed and it is costing me only $350.00.

I know that this gun should not be shot with the new top heavy loads but I don't need that kind of power from this gun.
<")))><

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that" -movie "Shane" 1953

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 04:27:41 PM »
Mayor:  Thanks for the heads up on that FA 83.

Simplicity:  Yes, it's good to know there are other Mainers on this site!!  There is a lot to be said about the 5.5" SS SBH.  That is probably the best all-around barrel length.  But I'm just hearing too many bad things about Ruger lately.  Plus, I have a lightly used P-90 that is about to go back to the factory for the 3rd time.  The first time they gave me a new gun due to abrasive spots on the bottom of the barrel grinding away at the frame.  The 2nd time the magazine catch fell out of the gun, turning it into a single shot.  This time it's been failing to fire on ocassion (but may be as simple as a mainspring).  That said, I'm having second thoughts about Ruger.  I used to love the brand.

Camp Cook:  Yes, I may well go the S&W 629 route.
NRA Life Member

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 05:13:41 PM »
I would go with either a 629 Mountain Gun or either the 5” heavy barrel with the short underlug. Smith and Wesson is bringing out the 629 MG again this year. It’s hard to imagine someone having a hole in their collection for a 44 Magnum and not filling that void with a 29 or 629.

I’d never detour someone from buying a FA and if you have or are willing to spend the cash that’s what I’d buy. FA’s are my favorite handgun made but for the criteria you stated I believe a DA is better suited. Minus the “home defense” part you would have a hard time pulling me away from a 6” FA.

Take Care,
Scott

Offline 2Guns

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 10:34:06 AM »
Mainer;

I have a S&W Mod 629 Classic 5" and it is a great weapon.  Accurate (1 1/8" 5 shot groups at 25 yrds), heavy engough that recoil doesn't beat you up but still handy engough to carry in the woods.  I pack mine in either a belt holster from Nelsons Leather or in vertical shoulder holster when I am hunting and carrying a hip pack instead of a back pack.

Great gun go for the Smith.

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 06:20:17 PM »
I use and recommend the Ruger 5-1/2 SS redhawk.  Mine is the second tightest revolver I own (the tightest is my FA 97).  It shoots great.  The only rub on the Redhawk is the gigantic grip size.  The super redhawk  uses the GP100 style post and many more grip sizes are available for it, but the revolver itself is bigger, and there is no short barrel option, unless you buy the ridiculously short alaskan model. If the standard redhawk grips fit you OK, then there is no problem.
Regards,

Tom

Offline catblaster.375

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 07:27:02 PM »
Smith & Wesson ALL THE WAY!

I have the 8 3/8" 629 Classic and it's accuracy surprises me every time I shoot it. The gun its self is also the finest piece of precision quality I have seen. I love its smooth lines and feel in my hand. It is absoulutly flawless.
 If your gonna get a ".44 Magnum the Most Powerful Handgun in the World and Could Blow Your Head Clean Off." its gotta be a S&W the original, the american classic. That is my opinion anyway. I can hit a 18" steel plate at 200 yards open sights with mine regularly (that is good for me anyway).

It worked for Dirty Harry it worked for Elmer Kieth it worked for me and it will work for you!

Offline oso45-70

Handgun General Discussion
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 01:29:09 PM »
Mainer,
To avoid having to make a change later on buy a Freedom Arms gun in what ever cal. or configeration you want and be done with it. You will never be sorry for your choice...........Joe...........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline tecrsq

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 01:58:08 PM »
I am a big fan of the N Frame S&W 44's

Especially the Mag-Na-Port / Lew Horton guns.

Butter smooth actions and reliability....Look for a mid 80's or earlier model.

Your preference may differ.
TecRsq
North Gawga
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue!

Offline Nebraska Kelly

my suggestion is
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 10:06:55 PM »
I have always liked the SMITH&WESSON 629 CLASSIC in any barrel lenght.
Nebraska Kelly :D

Offline Bucolic Buffalo

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2005, 12:22:07 PM »
personally, and this is only my opinion, I prefer the Ruger redhawk or the Colt Anaconda. I have both. I got both back before that gun ban Bill "the Rapist in Chief" Clinton got passed. I like the Colt a little better than thr ruger.

If Your wife Balks at the price of the Colt (I think the price today is worth it. I'd get the 4" anaconda if I had the extra money) than the ruger would make a nice alternative.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2005, 05:04:05 PM »
:cb2: I'm a big .44 fan, and you can't go wrong with any of your choices except maybe the Taurus. And as a former Taurus owner, I'd say forget that one.

Had a 5.5" Redhawk, and it was a wonderfully accurate gun. I just didn't like the feel of it. Traded it for a 7.5" .44 Bisley. I had one with a scope, and needed another one with plain iron sights to go with it. Then there is the 5.5" Bisley Vaquero . . . All of my Rugers are old enough that I haven't experienced the barrel twisting problems that some folks have warned about. All three are great shooters with factory ammo. I'd hunt with perfect confidence with any one of them. I started out with DA revolvers, like most folks, and the Bisley grip just feels more natural than the regular SA grip.

My 4" Anaconda is a great little gun, too. However, as much as I love it, I'd not pay the price they want for it today.

I have an N-frame S&W, but it's a .41, not a .44. A great shooter, and very accurate, too. If I were to buy a double action today, it would probably be a S&W Mountain Gun. If I had a reloader, I'd go with the .41 instead of the .44, but . . .

If you want a fun gun, go single action. They are great to shoot and so easy to clean. I must warn you—the SA bug bites hard, and you may never go back to double action guns once you get addicted. (And you will!) That means Ruger if you are going the economical route. However, like so many have said, the best of the best is the Freedom Arms. There's a FA83 out there somewhere with my name on it. Maybe next year I'll bring it home.

I know all this rambling probably didn't help, but it's really hard to go wrong with a .44—unless it says "Made in Brazil."
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2005, 01:27:07 PM »
I like the Smiths.  Model 29 with the 8 3/8 barrel or the 629 Classic  5".  Both have good balance.  The full underlug barrel on the 5" helps.  I also have an old model Super Blackhawk but don't seem to shoot it as well, but it does look cool.  I use handloads (20.5 grains of 2400 and the 429421 Keith bullet) for heavy loads, and various lighter bullets (all cast) in .44 Special cases for plinking, including a 214 grain semi-wadcutter and even a 180 grain full wadcutter for gallery loads.  The .44 is a versatile round.  It can be powerful when you want it to be, but can also be accurate and fun to shoot with lighter loads.