Author Topic: Shot During Target Practice  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Shot During Target Practice
« on: May 22, 2005, 10:54:39 AM »
Go to http://www.big-boys.com/articles/targetshot.html and remember to turn up the volume as you can hear the ricochet coming back at the shooter's buddies.

Way back when I was a young teenager my friends and I used to go to the town dump and shoot rats/feral cats, etc..  One time I saw a an object I took for a box about 150 yards away.  Told my friend to watch me nail that “box” with my custom 7.65mm Argentine Mauser.  At the shot the bullet ricocheted back at us hitting the Black Oak tree between us(we were about 6 inches apart).  We went down to see what I had hit and it was an old television picture tube.  Learned us to make sure of our target BEFORE touching off one.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 11:38:21 AM »
Did they really have television when you were a teen?  :)  :)  :)

Gun Runner

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 07:21:39 PM »
It was an early prototype!! :D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 07:34:01 AM »
You guys shot at them too??   :-D  :-D   Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 08:23:49 AM »
Every saturday morning!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 09:38:32 AM »
D.Miller, I think the proto type for him was called a PUPPET show.  :-D

Gun Runner

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 10:37:40 AM »
Back when times were much slower......way back.....before the EPA.........when the dump was never locked....before the word "landfill" was used...........and there was no charge to dump anything.......there were quite a few kids there on saturday mornings plinking and shooting rats with .22 shorts............

Dad used to go to town on saturday morning to get his hair cut.......everything in town closed at noon on saturday......he would usually drop me and my brother, or a friend off at the dump go run his errands, and would  honk the horn when he was ready to go home.........

I also remember that one saturday afternoon each year, the Rotary club would sell tickets to shoot pigeons from the roof tops downtown.....this was a shotguns only event and if I remember the Rotory club had 8 shot for sale....for those who showed up with high brass 5's or 6's...............had several boy scout troops with burlap "toat" sacks picking up the birds on the ground.............It was a pretty big event and raised several hundred dollars for charity each year........also eliminated the dropping from roosting birds....................no PITA in those days.......

Man, it's a shame there is no going back!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 04:18:49 PM »
Pigeons....... also known as Flying Rats.  When I was a kid I used to wonder why everyone hated them. Some of us have to live a while to catch on, but I finally caught on.

Offline oso45-70

Hunting and Shooting General discussion
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 08:50:49 PM »
Lawdog

Those guys are sure picking on you, That shot sure splated that young mans belly. They seemed to take it pretty well considering how bad it could have been, If that had hit him in the eye, WOW........Joe..........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Lawdog

Re: Hunting and Shooting General discussion
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 07:55:14 AM »
Quote from: oso45-70
Lawdog

Those guys are sure picking on you, That shot sure splated that young mans belly. They seemed to take it pretty well considering how bad it could have been, If that had hit him in the eye, WOW........Joe..........

No sweat, all in good clean fun.   :-D  :-D   I too like to reminisce about the “good ole days”.  Thinking back on high school days when it was perfectly acceptable to bring a rifle/shotgun/handgun into shop class as a project and customize/work on it.  Our shop teacher was also a gunsmith.  Most of the boys had a firearm of some sort in the window/trunk/under the seat of their vehicle(pick-ups and jeep were popular back then).  I remember one fine, fall day a rabid Gray Fox showed up on the football field by the quonset huts where all the equipment was kept and the Principle had more offers of rifles/shotguns from students to shoot it with than he could count.  The Good Ole Days.  Lawdog

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 08:16:03 AM »
Pretty lucky...any one of those folks could have lost an eye.  He got hit pretty good.
....make it count