Author Topic: Bushnell Sportsman or Simmons 8 Point Scope?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline 147 Grain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bushnell Sportsman or Simmons 8 Point Scope?
« on: May 29, 2005, 11:08:49 AM »
My son put out the word he was interested in a scope for his 17th Birthday Party, so his two cousins each presented him with two inexpensive 3-9X40mm scopes for his Marlin 336C 30-30 Winchester.

Granted, these scopes are bottom of the line models and can do the job, but we must keep one of them with funds being tight at the moment.

Question:

Which scope is better - Bushnell Sportsman or Simmons 8 Point Scope?   Ability to handle recoil with consistent crosshair reliable is our first priority;  clarity is second.
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Bushnell Sportsman or Simmons 8 Point Scope
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 12:24:52 PM »
I've tested some of the Bushnell Sportsman scopes and while near the bottom of the Bushnell product line up it's a solid scope for the money. I'd sure chose it over any Simmons much less a bottom of the line one. In fact any time I get a Simmons on a used gun I buy I take it off and throw it away so no one else will ever be saddled with it again.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline newdad

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 08:51:29 AM »
i have to agree with graybeard on this on. ihave had simmons 8 point and it was trash. i bought a bushnell sportsman 3-9-40 and loved it . was bought for a deer rifle and the sold rifle and kept scope. ended up putting it on my 223 and shooting .75 groups at 100 yards with this cheap scope. just my opinion.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:54:31 AM »
I have
3 bushnell scopes ranging from banner to elite 3200
2 tasco one is a prong horn and the other is ? 4x
and I have 1 simmons.
I love the bushnell scopes never had any troubles with them.
the tasco 4x has a broken cross hair but never had any troubles with the pronghorn and it sits on a Knight lk93 muzzle loader

The simmons I can find nothing about it. I got it as part of a package deal on my encore set up. it sits on a 26' 209x45 encore barrel. I have yet to shoot that barrel.

Graybeard if you get any more of them simmons that you are putting in the round file, let me know I wil be happy to pay shipping. I alwyas like to have some scopes sitting in my closet,  never know when you may need one for some reason :-)

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 04:00:05 AM »
Bushnell makes the best "cheap" scopes there are........