Author Topic: OT Question for you....  (Read 1624 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
OT Question for you....
« on: May 30, 2005, 01:49:04 PM »
This isn't a Handi, but it is a single shot!! You guys are like family to me here, so I thought I'd ask for opinions from those here that shoot black powder cartridge guns. I have inherited what I think is a Remington-Hepburn Falling block in 40 1-7/8" or 40-50 Sharps Straight. This caliber is somewhat anemic and the bore appears to be in great shape, the rifle itself has no sentimental value to my shooting partner who is giving it to me, but he wants me to shoot it, not sell it. He also thinks it would be a better shooter if we rechambered it to say a 40-90 Sharps straight.

Whatchathink??

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
OT Question for you....
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 01:52:04 PM »
Quick
Ifn ya get no responses here, I'd suggest going to the Shiloh Rifle Forum cause they have been at that game a long time.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Re: OT Question for you....
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 01:52:54 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo

Whatchathink??

Tim

humm free gun i think you did pertty good.lol. i couldn't help it . sorry bud i can't help here i don't know much about black powder guns
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
OT Question for you....
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 01:57:58 PM »
It wasn't really free, we never talked money, but I built him a computer and he just offered the rifle to me, not as compensation, but cuz he's my best friend and huntin/fishin/campin/shootin partner of 37yrs and we don't charge each other for things we give each other....it all works out in the end.....

Handi, I was intending on that eventually, but though I'd start here since I trust you all and value your thoughts!!  :wink:

tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
OT Question for you....
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 01:58:37 PM »
Now if we could just reach the Montanan he would know all there is to know about the BP rifles and cartridges. He has been real busy with his new job as Deputy in Montana, and loving it too I might add. But I do miss him here....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
OT Question for you....
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 02:01:51 PM »
MSP, I was kinda hoping he'd check in soon....been a while since he's been here, he is trully missed!!!  :(

Tim

Offline t3shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
OT Question for you....
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 02:58:37 PM »
Sounds like a cool, very unique, rifle.  I looked it up.  DON'T rechamber it!  It's an intersesting chambering, being the smallest of the Sharps line, and besides, it looks like a fun plinking calibre.  If you want to hunt with it, it's fine for deer, getting about 1200lbs ME with 260gr bullets@1400fps (about the same performance as the factory 38-55).   Just my $0.02

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.handirifle.com
OT Question for you....
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 03:16:01 PM »
The 40 cals were a pretty accurate lot from what I have read on them.

If you do re-chamber, might even consider the 40-65.  It has a strong rep for good accuracy and mild recoil.  I'd think the 40-65 would fall between the 38-55 and 45-70, in BP loads, for power.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
OT Question for you....
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 03:19:48 PM »
The 40-65 would probably be the best choice, brass is $43 a hundred compared to about the same cost for 20 of the 40-90 brass! I'm leaning towards it the more I dig!!

Thanks,

Tim

Offline Deadeye47

OT Question for you....
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 03:41:40 PM »
Quick...is this what we're talking about??    

Is brass readily available?? If so...make some smoke!!!  :wink:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
OT Question for you....
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 03:47:51 PM »
That sure looks like it, cept that one looks in better shape!! Brass is available in 40-65 form from Cabelas, haven't checked out dies yet....If the 40-65 can be cut down, we may just do that instead of the rechamber for what little difference in performance there is. Could also probably use XMP5744 instead of black powder. Cartridges of the World shows 21grs of IMR 4198 with a MV of 1450fps with the 260gr .403" bullet....if that can be found!!!

Tim

Offline Deadeye47

OT Question for you....
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 03:56:48 PM »
Hey..thats kewl!! Looks like you may just be in my boat before ya know it....learning bullet casting.... :-D  That baby ought to get a few looks at the range!! Shame to shoot it with smokeless though.. :roll:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
OT Question for you....
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 04:23:14 PM »
Dies and bullets are available from Buffalo Arms but the die set costs $140!!! Sheesh!!!!  :eek:

Offline Deadeye47

OT Question for you....
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 04:53:01 PM »
Yikes!! :eek: Another of those."if ya wanna play ya gotta pay" deals...Are all the dies that expensive for a 40 sharps? Worth a look...Alter a cheaper one???

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
OT Question for you....
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 06:37:35 PM »
quickdtoo, you might call RCBS, and check and see ifin they have some old ones on the shelf, or ifin they can convert something to that,  cheaper than what a set of new dies cost.
Heres their info for cust. svc:
1-800-533-5000, and their local nr is 1-530-533-5191
Mon - Thur  6:30 a.m. till 3 p.m. PST.

Gun Runner

Offline cheatermk3

• A Real Regular
OT Question for you....
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 05:19:20 PM »
Quick, There's a guy in Kelso that has scores if not hundreds of die sets he probly has a set; I noticed several oddball calibers whilst digging through his inventory; he had the 22 jet dies I'm using.  All his stuff that I've seen is in tip-top condition.

The catch is, they're not organized, just on end in plastic bins.  Ya gotta LOOK to find.  

If you're interested PM me and I'll givr you his address.

Yeah, he's the guy who had the jet.