Author Topic: Ruger Old Army load  (Read 781 times)

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Ruger Old Army load
« on: June 01, 2005, 03:39:08 AM »
Got a ROA coming Fri. June 3 that I bought from Impact. Would like some advice on working up a load. Currently I plan on using .457 round balls and Pyrodex "P" with No. 10 caps. I understand I will need to seal each chamber either with a wad or grease - how do I do this and which is best. How am I gonna seal with a wad ? Looking forward to playing with this new toy. I shoot BP long gun but never before e revolver. Thanks.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Ruger Old Army load
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 03:51:37 AM »
The .457 balls will seal the chamber mouths, but a little lube will keep fouling soft. Any non-petroleum based lube will do-- Crisco will work to get you started. You don't need to use wads. The main thing is to be sure the ball is fully seated down on the powder. If you use a 35 grain charge of fffg there should be no problem. You must be certain the caps are firmly seated on the cones to prevent a chain fire. As you will see, this is easy to do and extremely addictive. Welcome to BP revolver shooting.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
Ruger Old Army load
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 12:58:25 PM »
Several firms offer round felt wads for the purpose.  Before using, take something like Ox Yoke lube or TC Bore Butter and put a good smear on each.  One side will do.  Set out in the bright sun for a bit to melt into the wad (using the Boss' microwave to speed the process gets you numerous nights on the couch and valuable shooting time wasted attending counseling).  Keep them in a sandwich bag with your possibles.  Ram the wad separately over the powder before the ball and you can do away with greasing the ball externally.  Its much cleaner, especially in a holster.  In warm weather the external grease melts and runs out the chamber.  Also, in summer your Crisco supply has a tendency to go rancid pretty soon.  The prepared lubes aren't that expensive.