Author Topic: Which handi would Jeremiah choose?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Muddy05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Which handi would Jeremiah choose?
« on: June 02, 2005, 02:18:17 AM »
If Jeremiah Johnson were still around today and wanted to trade his Hawken for a Handi-rifle, which would it be and what caliber would he choose?? :D
Go 214th!!

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 02:55:01 AM »
As I recall, he started out with a .45 cal until he happened across Hatchet Jack's .50 Hawken.  So he liked the big bores.  

Now.  If he had the opportunity to choose a modern cartridge, he would be inclined to choose the one that offers the biggest bullet, with the biggest thump downrange.  In a Handi, that would include the .30-06, .35 Whelen, .45-70 or .450 Marlin.  The '06 and .35 offer long range thump that the .45's cant, yet the biggest bullet he may be able to use would be a 220gr - 250gr.  But, Jeremiah was from the era of big, slow moving bullets.  As described in the movie "he was a man of sound mind and proper wit".  The movie also portrayed him as a quiet, responsible and determined individual.  He was a good tracker and knew where to go to find game.  That in mind, he may not need beyond 200yd capabilities. It would seem that when he found something that worked, he stuck with it.  So I think he would lean toward the Marlin.  

EVOC ONE

Offline TheCrowkiller

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 04:20:51 AM »
The Liver-Eater started out with a .30, the only thing available when he was outfitting himself. I think he would find any cartridge rifle of reasonable power an improvement.

Offline LAREDOBOB

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 10:34:07 AM »
Jerimiah has always been my hero. I want to be just like him when I grow up (58 now) I tried to be like him but the wife would'nt let me wipe meat drippins in my hair, and insisted that i bathe daily ???  :-D  :-D
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country."   T. Roosevelt

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 12:46:33 PM »
I would have to think he would be looking for that illusive 35 Whelen.  It's a different world today and the shorter shots available in his day don't happen nearly as often today.  250 gr jacketed bullets are pretty common, but cast may go higher in weight.  That's over 1/2 ounce and I doubt a .50 cal round ball would be any heavier than that weight.

Yep, the Whelen is flat enough and heavy enough to take on whatever you encounter in North America!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: Which handi would Jeremiah choose?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 03:03:53 PM »
 He would also be thinkin bout puttin a hurtin on Griz and droppin buffalo so that said 45-70 444 or 450 in that order!
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 03:57:22 PM »
There is absolutely no doubt he would want a Buffalo Classic, and when he sold a good load of pelts, he would probably have it reamed to 45-120.  That way if he could line them up right he could shoot two griz. at once. :o :o
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 04:01:15 PM »
There is absolutely no doubt he would want a Buffalo Classic, and when he sold a good load of pelts, he would probably have it reamed to 45-120.  That way if he could line them up right he could shoot two griz. at once. :o :o
+1 not a doubt in my mind
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline fredster22

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (195)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »
I do believe a 45/70 would have made him very happy and let him sleep at night! Fredster22
All H&R 17m2 Sportster-17hmr Sportster-22lr Leatherneck semi-22mag ultra-22mag 700semi-22 hornet/20 258-221 fireball
223 bull-22-250 bull-243 bull Ultra--762x39-7x57m
30-30 157man-30-30/20ga 258--32-20 cust
-357max factory-357mag/20ga 258-44mag/20
ga 258-45lc-45/70-50 Sidekick-50
Huntsman-12ga Trap-12ga TDC
20ga TDC-20ga 22" 258x2-28ga 22"
Topper-410 slug-410 22"Topper-410 Charmer

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »
I am pretty sure he would have wanted a 45-70.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »
If he had any sense, and was still living in grizzly country he would choose a rifled 12ga. with a Dixie slug in the tube! ;)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 08:23:11 PM »
Just because he would not know what to do with a cartridge if it bit him on the ass, he would probably have picked a .58 Huntsman.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 11:42:55 PM »
with his reported trouble with the Indians , I  reckon he would carry an AK47 and lots of loaded clips. The much toted M16 would give to many problems in his environment.Quantity would be a requirement of necessity
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 11:47:05 PM »
Sorry hit the wrong button (comes with age)
  That being said about firepower, He (in my opinion) would carry a 30-06 Handi same reasoning , Reliability,power,available ammo,and a proven track record
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 01:56:19 AM »
308 , key word is carry !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 03:39:43 AM »
Maybe I'm this Jeremiah guy's kin!  ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 05:12:30 AM »
Not me he was on the run and ate human parts . Also he was a cold blooded killer . And would appear to have a mental disorder . Interesting fellow but no hero or role model .
Then again looking around at todays role models , he just may have been born before his time !

Offline n2light

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 06:25:40 AM »
Not me he was on the run and ate human parts . Also he was a cold blooded killer . And would appear to have a mental disorder . Interesting fellow but no hero or role model .
Then again looking around at todays role models , he just may have been born before his time !

Yes, the legends!!  JJ was the early adopter of Psych Ops!!   ;D

My pick is whatever everyone else is shooting, so he can reload the common available brass of the day...308

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 07:00:51 AM »
Now remember, he would be carrying this thing and all the ammo. I would not be suprised in the least to see a .223 or more likely a .243 in his hand. I've read many stories of the Inuets and other Northern Indians using .243 in volume to take anything walking. The man would have been a good tracker, so letting a bullet work a bit isn't a big deal. As a fur trader you can't sell bullet holes for as much as undamaged hides. Think about the speed of a cartridge reloading verses that Hawken. I'll bet on 3 .243 rounds over a single .50 round ball in a grizzly. I think he would be pretty dang impressed with a .22mag for that matter.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 07:03:07 AM »

It is claimed that John Johnston, aka known as liver eating Jeramiah Johnson never did eat an indians liver. It was reported that he slashed an indian across the abdomen in a fight and the indians liver was stuck on the end of his knife and the other indians took it as he was eating the livers. This at the time put great fear in the local indians and that was a good thing at the time. John Johnston actually went on to a law enforcment career later in life and killed 2 indian braves on night that were drunk and fighing when he grabbed both by the headand cracked thier heads together.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 07:50:38 AM »

Aw Hell he would have all, That he could get. Datil

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 07:56:55 AM »
I agree with Paul. Jeremiah would fall head over heals for a 35 Whelen. Probably even make his liver quiver.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 08:26:37 AM »
I think he would choose something in a pistol caliber.
He could carry alot more ammo with the pistol calibers.

Spanky

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 02:07:39 PM »
The only time he shot much was when attacked by Indians.   Back then people did not waste shot and powder on game they could take with traps, snares, or deadfalls.  They even built traps for bears, I don't mean the leg hold type either, but log ones big enough for the bear to go inside and the door close, and strong enough to hold one. 

Therefore the main factor in determining cartridge would be for protection.  Up close and personal.  I'd opt for the 45-70.  Yes the 30-06 is my favorite, and the .35 Whelen is my second favorite.  That is in todays world.  For back then I feel there was a whole different standard.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 06:48:18 AM »
billy where did you get that imfo ? I have watched 2 documentrys (SPL.) and read several historical accounts and thats the first time i heard that . It would be nice to read it .

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 08:18:31 AM »
Do a search on John Johnston liver eating and you will come up with a ton of stuff. Where I read it I am unsure it was in a magazine many many years ago and I have a very very good memory for things like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson

Try this wiki reference efor a start.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »
Thanks i tried the link .

Offline spacer

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 10:04:24 AM »
with his reported trouble with the Indians , I  reckon he would carry an AK47 and lots of loaded clips. The much toted M16 would give to many problems in his environment.Quantity would be a requirement of necessity

While I'd agree that a bunch of stripper clips would provide a better weight/round density for packing purposes, I'd probably carry at least a few magazines, too.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 10:55:59 AM »
If you don't fight fair and trap or fish to eat you don't need as much ammo !